Jacob Trouba

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Players decide on an agent based on what they hope to accomplish through bargaining. Probably Trouba and Overhardt have a long term strategy that will be reflected in the type of deal they negotiate. I think that Chevy has learned that playing nice with malcontents won't generate loyalty. Guess I don't have to point out the previous malcontent. Hopefully Trouba isn't looking to move on.

I know exactly who you mean...

It's Gustavsson, right?

Trouba should sign a 6 year 4.75 AAV deal, as he gets his life setting first big contract. He would then line him self up for a major payday as a UFA at 29 years old if he continues to progress to what we think he will be. If he wants to take the chance for more money he can take a similar bridge as R Murray with Columbus at 2 years @ 2.8 million AAV. That's a big risk! If he is smart he takes the 6 years at 4.75 mill. and the extra guaranteed 22.5 million.

If Chevy is a smart poker player he only has those 2 firm deals on the table and tells Trouba s agent he can reach him by cell on his deck at the cabin whenever Trouba is ready to sign. Trouba has limited negotiation power coming off his ELC. Only the threat of a offer sheet and I doubt any GM would do that to the Jets (seeing our available cap).

The thing about an offer sheet is that it needs to include a poison pill--something in it that the rights-holding team can't abide.

Ryan O'Reilly's was a $6m qualifying offer afterward.

Shea Weber's was that it started with four (now CBA-forbidden) $14m seasons and huge guaranteed money during the lockout.

What poison pill could a team add to a Trouba contract?

TNSE has money--maybe less in 'throwing around' money than many other teams, but definitely enough to pay Trouba (especially considering that at a certain point, you just take the picks--imagine if Nashville had all of the Flyers 1sts from '13 to '16...:amazed:).

TNSE has cap space. Like, a lot of it.

There will be no offersheet.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Trouba should get less than Morgan Reilly, as he is a better hockey player than Trouba ( just ask any one of the Toronto HF board :sarcasm: ).

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Yup. While it was frustrating to endure during the season for the fans and resulted in no playoffs I find it hard to fault management for going into the season with such a low salary commitment. Having to sign Buff and Ladd in season, if at all, then followed by Trouba, Scheifele and Lowry (most of us were pretty up on him last off-season) a few months later and cap space needed to be preserved.

It also allowed them to avoid being "Hamilton'd" in the off-season on either Scheifele or Trouba, though at least in my case I was only worried about Trouba.

The cap is the cap and I'm sure Chevy and co. have projections going forward for high and low estimations of what it may be, probably 5 or more years out. I'm also confident that they are projecting everyone under control of the organization from high to low levels of what they'll need to be paid. Future signings likely factor in what they think they'll have to pay Ehlers in 2018 and Connor in 2019. I'd bet they have projections updated within a couple of days of the draft lottery as well. Winning the lottery and getting Matthews would require a revision of their projections.

That's not to say Chevy doesn't screw up some deals (cough*Stu/Pav*cough) but I won't suggest he doesn't learn from that. Overly cautious on the acquisition front he may be but money management-wise I'm pretty comfortable what he's doing to the point where I'd be surprised we end up with a Hamilton scenario.

That said I'd be surprised if Chevy signs any of Scheifele, Trouba or Lowry prior to July (probably late July at that, if not August), after the draft. Just doesn't seem to be his style. I'd love to see some nice, solid deals for those guys (bridge for Lowry) signed before then but I just don't think it's his style.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I know exactly who you mean...

It's Gustavsson, right?

The thing about an offer sheet is that it needs to include a poison pill--something in it that the rights-holding team can't abide.

Ryan O'Reilly's was a $6m qualifying offer afterward.

Shea Weber's was that it started with four (now CBA-forbidden) $14m seasons and huge guaranteed money during the lockout.

What poison pill could a team add to a Trouba contract?

TNSE has money--maybe less in 'throwing around' money than many other teams, but definitely enough to pay Trouba (especially considering that at a certain point, you just take the picks--imagine if Nashville had all of the Flyers 1sts from '13 to '16...:amazed:).

The best poison pill offer sheet would be like the O'Reilly deal. Bridge-length with a high QO at the end. 2 x $6.5M or something. The Jets could obviously afford it, but it would be a big overpay for RFA years compared to Maatta, Rielly and Murray. And if Trouba wants to go, he's a UFA in 4 years (just sign the 1 year QO each June after the original deal expires) - and he collects $26M over that term! It's a small risk, but I don't think it's impossible.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The best poison pill offer sheet would be like the O'Reilly deal. Bridge-length with a high QO at the end. 2 x $6.5M or something. The Jets could obviously afford it, but it would be a big overpay for RFA years compared to Maatta, Rielly and Murray. And if Trouba wants to go, he's a UFA in 4 years (just sign the 1 year QO each June after the original deal expires) - and he collects $26M over that term! It's a small risk, but I don't think it's impossible.

Trouba (camp) would have to convince a team ( that has the required draft picks) to make that offer sheet knowing full well the Jets would match it. What would be the incentive for this alleged team to get involved in this negotiation that way? I don't see how anyone does it unless they think the Jets won't match. Teams don't like driving up salaries for no reason.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I think it's important for Chevy to have a good gauge about what Trouba and his agent are angling for soon. If it looks like they aren't serious about a long-term deal or reasonable bridge deal in Winnipeg, then trade him before July 1.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Is trouba eligible to receive an offer sheet?

For some reason I thought you couldn't get offer sheeted off your first contract.

Very good chance I'm completely out to lunch on that

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

For some reason I thought you couldn't get offer sheeted off your first contract.

As I understand it, he's eligible. A couple semi-recent examples would be Vanek (Edmonton) and Kesler (Philadelphia) signing offer sheets out of their ELCs.

There's a more complicated provision (which Trouba doesn't fit) for players who burned ELC years by playing a handful of games, but not in enough games to qualify as a full year of service. Torey Krug fell into this spot a few years back and there was some confusion since people thought he could sign an offer sheet, but as defined by the CBA he couldn't. Here's an explanation for that case: http://daysofyorr.com/2014-articles/torey-krug-and-reilly-smith-their-situation-explained.html

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Definitely eligible. Scheifele is also eligible. Monohan in Calgary is eligible but Gaudreau is not.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Nobody is putting in an offer sheet for Trouba, come on now.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Hopefully something similar to Rielly if they go 6, although I would be hoping for 8 for the right price.

I’d go 7 because I’d rather not have Trouba and Schiefele come up in the same years, although I guess at 8 years out who know what the landscape will look like by then.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I would be fine with a six year deal for Jacob. That sets up a 4 to 5 year window to win a cup and that should be more than enough if its going to happen with the next core. It also puts him at a far more attractive age to either extend or trade because he would be dead smack in the middle of his prime years.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Mark Stuart with another defender:
CgAlK4zUUAAA-To.jpg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Mark Stuart with another defender:
CgAlK4zUUAAA-To.jpg

I mean when we say boat anchor I think that is exactly what this graph reminds me of with the dotted line representing the surface of the water. :laugh:

Christ did Stu wasn't good before this year but did he ever fall off a cliff this season. If TNSE are blind to this and can't get Mark on the right seat of the bus we are most likely going to struggle again next season.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba (camp) would have to convince a team ( that has the required draft picks) to make that offer sheet knowing full well the Jets would match it. What would be the incentive for this alleged team to get involved in this negotiation that way? I don't see how anyone does it unless they think the Jets won't match. Teams don't like driving up salaries for no reason.

Yeah I don't think it's very likely, but that would be about as poison a pill as you could reasonably devise. At $6.5M, even if you end up grabbing Trouba, you're only giving up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. You'd have to have the cap space to do it though, and you'd also want to be a team with few upcoming RFAs to worry about in terms of retribution (RFAs who want out, anyway). You'd also have to believe Trouba was worth it.

Or it could be an intra-division screw job...you make the offer hoping Winnipeg will match and that'll handcuff them a bit in terms of budget. I know Chevy said there are no internal constraints, but - and let me double check the GM decoder ring here - it's probably not wise to be broadcasting to the league that you have a restrictive internal cap to live under...especially with two big RFAs to sign this summer and more coming. It could be a brilliantly devious move in a lot of ways...

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I mean when we say boat anchor I think that is exactly what this graph reminds me of with the dotted line representing the surface of the water. :laugh:

Christ did Stu wasn't good before this year but did he ever fall off a cliff this season. If TNSE are blind to this and can't get Mark on the right seat of the bus we are most likely going to struggle again next season.

Before this year I could accept him on the third pair, but my god did he ever take a step back this year. Even the Stu-lovers I know think his career is over.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba (on H&L) said that he had the same perspective as Scheifele - looking to play long term in Winnipeg. Take it for what it's worth.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Trouba (on H&L) said that he had the same perspective as Scheifele - looking to play long term in Winnipeg. Take it for what it's worth.

It's hard for Trouba to not see the good players around his age and think "I could have success here for a long time." Whether that's enough for him remains to be seen.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Buff and Wheeler are the elder leaders of the team. Trouba and Schiefele are the leaders of the young players coming in (future core). I think Trouba recognizes the potential of remaining with Winnipeg longterm. I'm not concerned this contract negotiation will last longterm or turn ugly.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Buff and Wheeler are the elder leaders of the team. Trouba and Schiefele are the leaders of the young players coming in (future core). I think Trouba recognizes the potential of remaining with Winnipeg longterm. I'm not concerned this contract negotiation will last longterm or turn ugly.

That's probably exciting for him, to have a clear path to being a leader & maybe even wearing a letter eventually.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Ladd said the same thing.
It's hard to know what it's worth. My gut tells me that Scheif wants to stay here...period, while Trouba wants to stay here, like Ladd, for the right price.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Ladd said the same thing.
It's hard to know what it's worth. My gut tells me that Scheif wants to stay here...period, while Trouba wants to stay here, like Ladd, for the right price.

Exactly. Most guys care about $$$.....loyality means nothing.

Call me jaded if you like, but it's earned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad