Who is better in a vacuum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
As a Jets fan I'd take Rielly but it's pretty close. It's flipped a few times for me over the last few years so I won't be surprised if it changes again next year. All this AINEC nonsense is just children being children. Par for the course here.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Judging defensemen by how many points they score is incredibly foolish.

Trouba is better and always has been

Especially when one is playing on the most prolific PP unit in the league and is far more aggressive offensively 5 on 5 where as the other barely gets PP time at all and is miles ahead defensively.

Reactions: Snowman

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I'd love to see the evidence behind this claim. How would he get carried by buff if he never plays with him? If anything Trouba makes it easier for Buff because he takes the harder matchups.

Stop making polls when you have a clear agenda. All you do is cause more shit storms to try to forward your narrative.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Trouba is better defensively, Rielly better offensively.

Two great, up and coming #1s and entirely a "pick your poison" type of scenario.

Sounds about right. I fear this thread will devolve into lunacy though so I will head out.

Reactions: Morgs

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Flips every year but this year it's Rielly. Last year it was Trouba. Year before, probably Rielly or even. Year before that, Trouba.

Next year, who knows. Call them even over the long-run for now. Rielly is by and far (and quite definitively) our #1. Gardiner is a #3 at best, Hainsey is a #4/#5. Dermott is tough to label, but isn't proven top-pairing quality, simply a rookie who far exceeded his bottom-pairing usage. I like Zaitsev far more than Leaf fans and agree with Babcock's assesment with Babcock as being a good D, who struggled, but still has a lot of upside (he actually used the word "dominant" in his recent Dreger cafe interview), but would comfortably put him as a #4 with upside.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Rielly is not and never has been as good as Trouba. Trouba is a #1D man on the second best team in the NHL and excells. Rielly plays on the top pairing on an also ran team, but really should not be playing above a #3 spot as he does not have the defensive ability.

There's a reason Leafs fans start weekly threads begging for Trouba while you never see a thread where a Jets fan asks for Rielly.

Trouba AINEC.
Trouba is not a 1D. That's ridiculous

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I akways enjoy a good leaf vs jets thread... i think rielly closed the gap a bit but ill give slight edge to trouba

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Trouba.

Plays tough minutes, plays more PK, plays less OZ starts(more DZ starts 52% of his starts are in the DZ as Riellys are 51.1% in the OZ), less oiGA(per game as well), more oiGF per game, same 5v5 scoring per game(Trouba actually has a tad bit more but it’s basically one point differnt and again Trouba hardly even seen a stitch of PP this season so we can’t say the PP doesn’t have a big effect in this argument).

That being said there is no AINEC here, Rielly is Elite Offensively and a great PowerPlay QB, Trouba is just more effective defensively and can score 5v5 and doesn’t have PP minutes that he would have with other teams(due to the depth in talent on his current team).
Rielly plays tougher minutes by all QOC metrics and has every year for the last 3 seasons (They tied in QOC xGF% this year).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Trouba.

Plays tough minutes, plays more PK, plays less OZ starts(more DZ starts 52% of his starts are in the DZ as Riellys are 51.1% in the OZ), less oiGA(per game as well), more oiGF per game, same 5v5 scoring per game(Trouba actually has a tad bit more but it’s basically one point differnt and again Trouba hardly even seen a stitch of PP this season so we can’t say the PP doesn’t have a big effect in this argument).

That being said there is no AINEC here, Rielly is Elite Offensively and a great PowerPlay QB, Trouba is just more effective defensively and can score 5v5 and doesn’t have PP minutes that he would have with other teams(due to the depth in talent on his current team).
you realize how significant the difference is here?

i go with Trouba defensively and Reilly offensively.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Rielly is obviously better offensively. He also plays tougher competition and puts up excellent defensive numbers.

Trouba is no slouch offensively either. He plays slightly weaker competition and puts up slightly better defensive numbers. One of the real questions that I have about Trouba is how well he would do being "the guy" in Winnipeg. As it is, he's behind Byfuglien, though I don't actually have access to Corsica right now to check all the numbers. Personally, I imagine that Trouba would be totally fine being the #1 guy and handling the top competition (which is also coach dependant, since Babcock really focuses on matchups), so I'll give him the nod as being slightly better defensively. I also imagine that getting some real PP minutes would help his offensive numbers as well.

I voted for Rielly because I think the gap in offensive production is bigger than the gap in defensive capabilities. I still SMH at what people say about Rielly's defense. He's excellent, people.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Rielly is obviously better offensively. He also plays tougher competition and puts up excellent defensive numbers.

Trouba is no slouch offensively either. He plays slightly weaker competition and puts up slightly better defensive numbers. One of the real questions that I have about Trouba is how well he would do being "the guy" in Winnipeg. As it is, he's behind Byfuglien, though I don't actually have access to Corsica right now to check all the numbers. Personally, I imagine that Trouba would be totally fine being the #1 guy and handling the top competition (which is also coach dependant, since Babcock really focuses on matchups), so I'll give him the nod as being slightly better defensively. I also imagine that getting some real PP minutes would help his offensive numbers as well.

I voted for Rielly because I think the gap in offensive production is bigger than the gap in defensive capabilities. I still SMH at what people say about Rielly's defense. He's excellent, people.
Trouba/Morrissey take tougher match ups than Buff/Enstrom when all are healthy.

This two are close, always have been. Flip a coin, pick your poison kind of deal. I'll take Trouba for the defensive abilities, still not sold on Rielly defensively.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What if I told you that Trouba actually outscored Rielly at 5v5 this year? That's true; Rielly had 1.07 points per 60 minutes at ES, whereas Trouba finished the year with 1.22.

Now... this one does not need to be told, but let's face it: Rielly is miles behind Trouba defensively.

troubja94

riellmo94

As these charts clearly show, one of the two defensemen is excellent at limiting the opposition's chances, whereas the other does his all to gift high-danger opportunities to them.

I really cannot see how someone can go with Rielly here. Trouba is clearly ahead as of now.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Very different defenders so it would be tough to compare.

That being said, I'd love a Rielly-Trouba top pairing (preferably on the Leafs)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Trouba/Morrissey take tougher match ups than Buff/Enstrom when all are healthy.

This two are close, always have been. Flip a coin, pick your poison kind of deal. I'll take Trouba for the defensive abilities, still not sold on Rielly defensively.

That makes plenty of sense to me.

Rielly having the 7th highest TOIQoC in the league is largely a Babcock-driven thing, but Rielly deserves his credit for taking the challenge and doing well with it. I think you should buy on Rielly defensively, the eye test and the numbers this year showed that he is very, very good against the best competition there is. Last year he really struggled as he was thrown into the role, but he learned a ton was absolutely outstanding this year. Maybe Trouba is still better, but Rielly is fantastic and deserves his praise.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
What if I told you that Trouba actually outscored Rielly at 5v5 this year? That's true; Rielly had 1.07 points per 60 minutes at ES, whereas Trouba finished the year with 1.22.

Now... this one does not need to be told, but let's face it: Rielly is miles behind Trouba defensively.

troubja94

riellmo94

As these charts clearly show, one of the two defensemen is excellent at limiting the opposition's chances, whereas the other does his all to gift high-danger opportunities to them.

I really cannot see how someone can go with Rielly here. Trouba is clearly ahead as of now.

Hmmm, how about we add some context to those?

troubja94

riellmo94

Seems like there is a lot to be said for what the other guys on the ice are doing. Cool heat map, but Rielly is still a positive corsi player (% and rel). Rielly's goalies had a sv% of 91.2 while he was on the ice, Trouba's had a sv% of 91.4 and the starter is up for the Vezina. Rielly does not do "his all to gift high-danger opportunities" to opponents.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

troubja94

riellmo94

Seems like there is a lot to be said for what the other guys on the ice are doing. Cool heat map, but Rielly is still a positive corsi player (% and rel). Rielly's goalies had a sv% of 91.2 while he was on the ice, Trouba's had a sv% of 91.4 and the starter is up for the Vezina. Rielly does not do "his all to gift high-danger opportunities" to opponents.
reilly also had hainsey as his partner all year where as trouba has morrisey

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

troubja94

riellmo94

By looking at those heatmaps, it sure seems like the rest of the team did better without Rielly on the ice (although the QoC comes into play here). The only thing you can take away from those heatmaps you posted is that not only is Trouba better than Rielly in his own end, but the Jets are also significantly better defensively than the Leafs as a whole. When it comes to the goalies, your argument is flawed as hell. First of all, I don't believe these charts have too much to do with goaltending, and secondly, Rielly had better goaltending than Trouba (92.28 OISV% to Trouba's 91.72 at 5v5).

As for the 'but Morrissey' comment, are you really going to play that card with regards to every single Jet? I swear it's always the other guys X and Y around Z who carry him. At some point (which is far away in the past), that loses its punch.

Reactions: Snowman

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
By looking at those heatmaps, it sure seems like the rest of the team did better without Rielly on the ice (although the QoC comes into play here). The only thing you can take away from those heatmaps you posted is that not only is Trouba better than Rielly in his own end, but the Jets are also significantly better defensively than the Leafs as a whole. When it comes to the goalies, your argument is flawed as hell. First of all, I don't believe these charts have too much to do with goaltending, and secondly, Rielly had better goaltending than Trouba (92.28 OISV% to Trouba's 91.72 at 5v5).

As for the 'but Morrissey' comment, are you really going to play that card with regards to every single Jet? I swear it's always the other guys X and Y around Z who carry him. At some point (which is far away in the past), that loses its punch.
no and i don't do that because morrisey doesn't play with anyone else, but there is a legitimate case that reilly has a much inferior partner to play with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad