Jacob Trouba Vs Morgan Rielly

Who is better in a vacuum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
That must be why he was ranked higher and drafted higher.

Rielly has always been better and always will be, hes also not a locker room cancer who whines about his minutes.

Every metric has Rielly as better than Trouba, and he doesnt get carried by Buff and a much better defensive core.

This should be Rielly by a reasonable margin, but its a leaf player so it will end up Trouba and LAINEC. Oh well, im sure we both will be happy with our guy.

Far from being the better defenseman and of course he wouldn’t “whine” about his minutes because the leafs have nobody better. He’s been gifted his minutes since the day he arrived in Toronto due to their abysmal defensive core.

Trouba isn’t being carried by the Jets defensive core. The Jets core are all contributing members who have specific roles on the team. That’s how it should be run, but if you prefer the Leafs model, that’s completely up to you. Knock yourself out and enjoy.

Reactions: cg98 and Snowman

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Always take the 50 point two way d-man over the 20-30 point stay at home one. The former is much harder to find and replace than the latter. Especially if the latter is injury prone and going to be a hard ass about contracts going forward.
This is what happens when you watch the games on the radio.

Reactions: Snowman

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Definitely Mo, get's easier outside the vaccuum when contracts come into play.

Morrissey is a tougher comparison though. Jets are spoiled with young high end defencemen.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I guess you can say he’s not purely stay at home by any means, but until he starts providing more offence, he’s definitely more of a defensive d-man than a two-way one.

I feel like you missed his games played. He's been at a 40 point pace the last two seasons combined with little PP time. That's 37th in the league in PPG among defensemen in that time, and tied for 8th in ES PPG. No doubt the PP is important, and Rielly excelled there this year. But like with Rielly in past years there's no doubt someone who has the talent to put up the totals Trouba has at ES could put up better PP numbers with better opportunities. He's not an elite offensive defenseman but he's quite good offensively.

Apr 1, 2010
Far from being the better defenseman and of course he wouldn’t “whine” about his minutes because the leafs have nobody better. He’s been gifted his minutes since the day he arrived in Toronto due to their abysmal defensive core.

Trouba isn’t being carried by the Jets defensive core. The Jets core are all contributing members who have specific roles on the team. That’s how it should be run, but if you prefer the Leafs model, that’s completely up to you. Knock yourself out and enjoy.
LMFAO, Babs basically refused to play him on the PP for half of 16-17. He gets gifted Nothing.

Reactions: FishManSam

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
yeah Babcock was pretty stupid putting Zaitsev on the PP and not Rielly

member 147413

He provides better 5v5 offense than Rielly - today.
Yes, 3 points in 16 playoff games proves your point.

Pace doesn’t mean much when you’re injured so frequently. Add to that the weaker QOC Trouba faces.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
He provides better 5v5 offense than Rielly - today.
after watching him in the conference finals this is 100% true, but his 5v5 offense is for the opposing team. Vegas is eating him alive and he looks like a steaming pile of shit defensively.

Not his best series, wonder if this is Paul Maurices fault.

member 147413

Marchessault walked him pretty easily in game 3. A better skater would have been able to stop that rush.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
after watching him in the conference finals this is 100% true, but his 5v5 offense is for the opposing team. Vegas is eating him alive and he looks like a steaming pile of **** defensively.

Not his best series, wonder if this is Paul Maurices fault.
Why would it be Maurice's fault that Trouba didn't have a great series?

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
deployment, responsibilities and a multitude of other reasons. Are you saying it's just that trouba is that bad?
No, I'm not saying Trouba is that bad. It's completely normal for a player who's normally really good to have a few bad games. Are you saying that Trouba should suddenly be given easier matchups after a few bad games defensively?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
No, I'm not saying Trouba is that bad. It's completely normal for a player who's normally really good to have a few bad games. Are you saying that Trouba should suddenly be given easier matchups after a few bad games defensively?
when it's clear your guy is getting walked all over, it might be a good idea to change things up. Bottom line was he looked like shit. It wasn't a few bad games, he's just overrated on HF.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
As a Leafs fan but sometimes objective (F the rest of the league) I'm more confident in getting Rielly's numbers from Trouba throughout a full season at some point than I am in Rielly getting the type of defensive results Trouba does at any point. Big Rielly fan too and they're both top 30 D men

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
when it's clear your guy is getting walked all over, it might be a good idea to change things up. Bottom line was he looked like ****. It wasn't a few bad games, he's just overrated on HF.
He was great in the first 2 series. I bet there where at least 4 or 5 games this year when Reilly looked worse defensively.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
He was great in the first 2 series. I bet there where at least 4 or 5 games this year when Reilly looked worse defensively.
interesting that Gardiner has 1 bad game and he's labelled terrible, trouba plays an entire series as poor as he's ever played but gets a pass. Rielly was good every game in the leafs series, much better this season and was a true number 1 in every metric except TOI being the only place to improve, but that's a Babcock thing.

Who's the Jets number 1? Every time I've watched them and all the Non HF jets fans I talk to say its Morrissey. Its only on HF that I hear its trouba.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
interesting that Gardiner has 1 bad game and he's labelled terrible, trouba plays an entire series as poor as he's ever played but gets a pass. Rielly was good every game in the leafs series, much better this season and was a true number 1 in every metric except TOI being the only place to improve, but that's a Babcock thing.

Who's the Jets number 1? Every time I've watched them and all the Non HF jets fans I talk to say its Morrissey. Its only on HF that I hear its trouba.
As far as Gardiner goes, when he's playing his best defensively he's still worse than Trouba against Vegas. A bad game for Gardiner is playing like an AHL defensemen, while a bad game for Trouba is playing like a #4, so there isn't really a comparison there.

You still didn't answer my question about Reilly having 4 or 5 games this year when he was at least as bad as Trouba against Vegas. And your right about Reilly having a good series against Boston, but if the Leafs ever make an appearance in the conference finals, than we'll see if Reilly can have 3 good series in a row.

As far as who the Jets #1 is, its still Buf, followed closely by Trouba and Morrissey.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
As far as Gardiner goes, when he's playing his best defensively he's still worse than Trouba against Vegas. A bad game for Gardiner is playing like an AHL defensemen, while a bad game for Trouba is playing like a #4, so there isn't really a comparison there.

You still didn't answer my question about Reilly having 4 or 5 games this year when he was at least as bad as Trouba against Vegas.
And your right about Reilly having a good series against Boston, but if the Leafs ever make an appearance in the conference finals, than we'll see if Reilly can have 3 good series in a row.

As far as who the Jets #1 is, its still Buf, followed closely by Trouba and Morrissey.
Those arent questions. They are statements, would you like me to address a statement?

Trouba has 5+more games where hes worse or much worse than he was against vegas as well, what are you trying to prove? He floundered when needed the most and handed games to vegas.

Gards is not an AHL defenceman at any point now. Offensively hes obviously beyond anybody in the AHL and thats clearly not a debate, defensively at his worse hes still absolutely an NHL defenceman, pretending otherwise is just being wilfully ignorant.

Trouba is supposed to be better defensively, so it wouldnt be surprising hes better than a 3/4 defensively, but hes playing like a 3/4 defensively himself right now and offensively hasn't reached heights Rielly has. Rielly is a top pairing defender (defensively) and is putting up #1 offensive numbers while playing the most difficult QOC.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Those arent questions. They are statements, would you like me to address a statement?

Trouba has 5+more games where hes worse or much worse than he was against vegas as well, what are you trying to prove? He floundered when needed the most and handed games to vegas.

Gards is not an AHL defenceman at any point now. Offensively hes obviously beyond anybody in the AHL and thats clearly not a debate, defensively at his worse hes still absolutely an NHL defenceman, pretending otherwise is just being wilfully ignorant.

Trouba is supposed to be better defensively, so it wouldnt be surprising hes better than a 3/4 defensively, but hes playing like a 3/4 defensively himself right now and offensively hasn't reached heights Rielly has. Rielly is a top pairing defender (defensively) and is putting up #1 offensive numbers while playing the most difficult QOC.
Yup, Trouba's the sole reason Vegas one the series.

Reactions: cg98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->