Speculation: Jacob Markstrom to Edmonton?

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Markstrom finally realizing he doesn't have many elite years left in the NHL and his best chance is with the Oilers
Honestly I don’t even know if Edmonton makes the top 5 of “perennial cup favorites if they add a goalie” list. Over the next 2 seasons New Jersey, Carolina, Colorado, and maybe LA and Toronto would scare me more than Edmonton with Markstrom on their roster.

Be a fun thought experiment though, what technically returns more in a trade, trading Markstrom to a hated rival team or taking on Campbell’s contract? The trade won’t happen just on the basis it’d be the most expensive goalie trade the leagues done.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Markstrom: 11.31 GSAA (8th)
Skinner: 2.23 GSAA (29th)

Plus, Markstrom has just as many points as prizes FA Connor Brown, another bonus.
Well that settles it. The Oilers should be going all in on Daccord

Plus, Hyman has more goals than Kadri and Huberdeau combined for 12.5 million per year less
The Flames bonus =🏌️‍♀️

This is all pointless as Murray Edwards wouldn't even allow Markstrom to be traded to NJ

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Well that settles it. The Oilers should be going all in on Daccord

Plus, Hyman has more goals than Kadri and Huberdeau combined for 12.5 million per year less
The Flames bonus =🏌️‍♀️

This is all pointless as Murray Edwards wouldn't even allow Markstrom to be traded to NJ
Playoff choker Markstrom just 2021/22 playoffs: 2.95 GAA, .901 SV%

Homegrown stud Skinner in the playoffs: 3.68 GAA, .883 SV%

Keep on pinning your hopes on Skinner for all this Flames fam cares. Might just cost you a shot at a cup.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I still don’t agree. If you look at the next 2 drafts and take out say a 1st and Broberg to dump Campbell, you can still use a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Bourgault, Akey, Rodrigue, Kemp, etc.

Holland moved out 2 1sts last year for Ekholm and it was a massive home run. I can’t see him being scared to spend if it’s the right move

Takes two to tango.

Can't see why any GM would take on Campbell's contract. If the Oilers need to retain, they're sending quality assets just to lower the buyout price.

IMO, Campbell could rebound but even if a team had a thought to give him a chance, that would be on a 1 year cheap show-me deal after the buyout.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Playoff choker Markstrom just 2021/22 playoffs: 2.95 GAA, .901 SV%

Homegrown stud Skinner in the playoffs: 3.68 GAA, .883 SV%

Keep on pinning your hopes on Skinner for all this Flames fam cares. Might just cost you a shot at a cup.
Markstroms last playoff round .850Sv% 5.05GAA
Campbell last year .961Sv% 1.01 GAA

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Markstroms last playoff round .850Sv% 5.05GAA
Skinners last playoff round: .875 SV%

Campbell faced 50 shots in the playoffs.

I don’t see how this discussion can go any further when you clearly have a bias so strong it overshadows rational thought.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Honestly I don’t even know if Edmonton makes the top 5 of “perennial cup favorites if they add a goalie” list. Over the next 2 seasons New Jersey, Carolina, Colorado, and maybe LA and Toronto would scare me more than Edmonton with Markstrom on their roster.

Be a fun thought experiment though, what technically returns more in a trade, trading Markstrom to a hated rival team or taking on Campbell’s contract? The trade won’t happen just on the basis it’d be the most expensive goalie trade the leagues done.
New Jersey eh. Cool cool

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Skinners last playoff round: .875 SV%

Campbell faced 50 shots in the playoffs.

I don’t see how this discussion can go any further when you clearly have a bias so strong it overshadows rational thought.
It's not about being biased. They have an identical career SV% and both shit the bed the last round of playoffs they were in.
Plus, It makes zero sense for Edmonton to empty the cupboards for a goalie who has a pattern of bombing every other year.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Markstrom .914SV%
Skinner .905SV%(.915SV% since the coaching change)
Would Markstrom really be an upgrade playing behind the Oilers defense which according to HF consensus is one of the worst in the league?
HF consensus is not a real stat.

GA is a stat
Save percentage is a stat

Start with those and let me know where we rank (you may be surprised to see we are nowhere near 32)

But yes markstrom is better than Skinner today and would be an upgrade. He's elite and has put up much better numbers thab his other 2 goalies.

• Haha
Reactions: Homesick

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oilers need to stand pat. Messing with the team chemistry right now just doesn't make sense. Besides, any trade for Markstrom that includes Campbell, would cost the Oilers a fortune in assets.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
HF consensus is not a real stat.

GA is a stat
Save percentage is a stat

Start with those and let me know where we rank (you may be surprised to see we are nowhere near 32)

But yes markstrom is better than Skinner today and would be an upgrade. He's elite and has put up much better numbers thab his other 2 goalies.
I've toyed with the idea of Markstrom to Edmonton for Skinner++

But the Oilers seem like they want to add another top 6 forward and try to outscore their defensive and goaltendng issues. Personally, I don't get it. They're 3rd in the league in goals per game, they need to sure up the back end. A goal prevented is just as important as a goal scored and the thing abut defense is it doesn't slump like offense.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

But the Oilers seem like they want to add another top 6 forward and try to outscore their defensive and goaltendng issues. Personally, I don't get it. They're 3rd in the league in goals per game, they need to sure up the back end. A goal prevented is just as important as a goal scored and the thing abut defense is it doesn't slump like offense.
Since Knoblauch took over the Oilers have the best record in the league. 1st for GF(3.80), 6th lowest for GA(2.63) and allow the 4th lowest SA(28.2)
That's not a serious enough issue to empty the cupboards for an upgrade in goal

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

1709597632880.png

We are 9th in Goals against this season.. all of it, including the start where Vancouver was beating us by touchdowns.

Not saying we are elite... not even close but we are keeping absolutely great company here. Might be skewed a bit as we've played less games.

My priorities would be a Dman (wanted Tanev badly) and a guy to platoon with Skinner like Vejmelka. For the first time in several decades I'm actually happy with our in house solution for the next 2 seasons of Rodrigue and Skinner.

Agree that D wins championships. Watching the Avs and Knights shut us down was depressing.lol

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I don't think Edmonton would touch that. Skinner's a keeper and only 25. Markstrom's been up and down like a toilet seat the last few years. Adding significant assets to double Skinner's cap hit for an erratic goalie probably isn't gonna happen.

Since the coaching change Skinner is 27-8-1 with a .916. I think it's easy to say why Edmonton's comfortable with its goaltending right now.

Also since the coaching change, Edmonton is 6th in GA in the league. Edmonton's defensive issues really only lasted a month.

It's easy to forget, but 25 is an infant for an NHL goalie. Markstrom was still bouncing between the NHL and AHL at that age.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers would never trade Skinner for Markstrom. Skinner was a rookie last season. Markstrom is not enough of an upgrade for the Oilers to waste major assets for. If anything the Oilers should improve their forward depth and spend assets on a d-man, that would improve their team more. The Oilers defense was more of an issue then goaltending was last playoff. Their team has played better defense this season but could still use an upgrade on the right side.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Nah, let him rot in Calgary. He picked them a few years ago lol. He can sit there in a losing environment.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Can’t blame the guy for making the right decision
I hope you don't make dumb decisions like he made lol. Yeah, he made a great one. His overrated bum buddy Lindholm (who helped court Markstrom) already quit on the team and left

Edmonton has probably the hottest goalie in the pacific anyways in Skinner. They need a backup.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I hope you don't make dumb decisions like he made lol. Yeah, he made a great one. His overrated bum buddy Lindholm (who helped court Markstrom) already quit on the team and left

Edmonton has probably the hottest goalie in the pacific anyways in Skinner. They need a backup.
Define the “hottest”, because first impression based off the last 10 games is that’s factually untrue. Unless of course this timeframe doesn’t help determine who is the hottest - in that case I’m all ears. I left out Blackwood since he’s hurt, but also better numbers.

Skinner: 5-4-1, 3.29, .893
Hill: 5-4-0, 3.07, .910
Markstrom: 8-2-0, 2.21, .928
Demko: 4-5-1, 3.00, .891
Grubauer: 4-3-1, 2.01, .925
Gibson: 5-1-2, 3.30, .898
Talbot: 4-5-0, 3.27, .898

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Define the “hottest”, because first impression based off the last 10 games is that’s factually untrue. Unless of course this timeframe doesn’t help determine who is the hottest - in that case I’m all ears. I left out Blackwood since he’s hurt, but also better numbers.

Skinner: 5-4-1, 3.29, .893
Hill: 5-4-0, 3.07, .910
Markstrom: 8-2-0, 2.21, .928
Demko: 4-5-1, 3.00, .891
Grubauer: 4-3-1, 2.01, .925
Gibson: 5-1-2, 3.30, .898
Talbot: 4-5-0, 3.27, .898
Skinner's 14-4-1 with a .920 since the start of January, 27-8-1 and a .916 since the coaching change. He's also been lights out his last three starts. Had a couple bumpy games, but so has the team.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad