Speculation: Jacob Markstrom to Edmonton?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I feel like the ask for a Campbell dump alone is around 3 firsts. Now add whatever you have to pay for Markstrom.

Not in a million years will this happen.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Campbell
Broberg
Holloway
2024 1st

Would def be enough for Calgary.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think the Oilers are looking at forwards and d-men right now. I mean Skinner and Pickard are both playing well and they have Campbell as insurance if someone struggles and I think they will continue to play well if the Oilers can play decent defensively so their focus should probably be directed on getting a d-man and forward depth, which helps improve team defense. Campbell is likely going to be bought out. I can't see them being able to trade him at this point. They should just cut their losses this offseason.

Reactions: Czechboy

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Campbell
Broberg
Holloway
2024 1st

It would probably cost them a 1st and Broberg to dump Campbell so this is just Holloway straight across for Markstrom which is pretty bad imo

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Campbell
Broberg
Holloway
2024 1st

It's a solid haul, with some very good value, the issue is Campbell and that contract. I Markstrom, that's 3 first rounders, all still with value, but is it enough to eat that Campbell deal?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Because Flames dumped Neal to Edmonton. And I know he had some success in Edmonton but we all know how it ended
Isn't Edmonton still paying off that $2 million a year James Neal mortgage with another year to go? On a derelict house they haven't owned for 3 years? Now add Campbell's $5 million contract this year and the next 3 years after that.. sweet.
I just can't see Conroy helping out Holland after Holland did such a wonderful job of shooting himself in the foot. Sorry but that bullet hole is gonna bleed and hurt like hell for another 3 years.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Kahvi

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Because Flames dumped Neal to Edmonton. And I know he had some success in Edmonton but we all know how it ended
Fair point.. Oilers are expecting a somewhat useful dump back for Campbell as well and not a Markstrom.

Korpisalo in OTT might be one but likely something for the offseason.

Goaltending is not a big concern in EDM anymore as long as defense is being upgraded. Skinner plays better when no supposed 1a is breathing down his neck. Pickard is good enough to fill in for the back to back games.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Isn't Edmonton still paying off that $2 million a year James Neal mortgage with another year to go? On a derelict house they haven't owned for 3 years? Now add Campbell's $5 million contract this year and the next 3 years after that.. sweet.
I just can't see Conroy helping out Holland after Holland did such a wonderful job of shooting himself in the foot. Sorry but that bullet hole is gonna bleed and hurt like hell for another 3 years.
Yes, around $2M cap hit for Neal next year.

You’re right though that Calgary wouldn’t trade him here. Calgary has proven time and time again that making Edmonton worse is arguably as high of priority as making themselves better.
I've read this few times here, so I'm really curious to know the examples for this. Is it rumours like 1st + something for Tanev, and Flames traded him to Dallas for 2nd?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Upgrading in net would make too much sense for dumb f*** Ken Holland. Never gonna happen.
Markstrom .914SV%
Skinner .905SV%(.915SV% since the coaching change)
Would Markstrom really be an upgrade playing behind the Oilers defense which according to HF consensus is one of the worst in the league?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well they were able to dump Lucic on Flames. But yeh thus makes no sense . Flames already have 3 NHL ready goalies
And we dumped Neal on you, and Lucoc ended up being better than Neal after the trade.

If the Flames are Campbell's contract, and it helped Edmonton win a cup Flames fans would be irate and be calling for Conroy's head.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Pretty much zero chance this happens lol.

Oilers have a 24 year old homegrown starter who finished second in ROTY voting last year, and he has been very good this year since Knoblauch came to town.

Only in Edmonton does this mean they have no goaltending. Any other team has a top 3 ROTY goalie and they are set.

The cost to acquire would be astronomical with Jack involved. His buyout isn't even bad, they will go that route in the offseason Im guessing.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So the Flames wouldn't take Ceci as a cap dump but would take Campbell? LOL good joke

Oilers won't pay the price to dump Campbell at roughly 3 first rounders and then pay the cost for Markstrom (another 1st+premium asset) on top of that. Not when the futures of McDavid & Draisaitl aren't yet settled and the cost of a buyout is much easier to swallow.

2024 1st
2025 1st
2026 1st
2027 1st
Holloway
Campbell

vs

Buying out Campbell for a 1.5M cap hit for the next 6 years and saving all those assets to either upgrade other weak areas or for the post McDavid/Draisaitl era.

Pretty easy decision for the Oilers to make frankly.

Reactions: Czechboy and LTIR

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The Oilers have also seen how bad Markstrom can be, and it isn’t pretty.
Yea, his last playoff round he had a .850Sv% and probably 5 GA/PG. I'll take my chances with Campbell as a 3rd string back up for the playoffs over that choker

• Haha
Reactions: User1996

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I am driving to work on a very cold and snowy morning(wish I had won the Lotto Max.)

I was listening to fan 960 and they said that Oilers may take a look at Markstrom + D man (not Hanifin), the Flames would get Campbell +picks+ a prospect.

I understand the appeal of getting Campbell off the books, but I'd rather go with Stuart Skinner than Jacob Markstrom, personally, so I don't really get the point.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Markstrom: 11.31 GSAA (8th)
Skinner: 2.23 GSAA (29th)

Plus, Markstrom has just as many points as prizes FA Connor Brown, another bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad