GDT: Jackets @ Canucks | 10 PM EST

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Severson, by the way, is not good defensively, perhaps average would be easier to argue. He has always had erratic defensive positioning. I don't think we have a single defenseman who is above average defensively.
I hate to harp on a single point made, but where do your opinions on Werenski fit into this?? You’ve hyped his defense up for forever it seems, until today.

I’d like to take this time to mention that I think Severson and Werenski are almost scarily similar as players on the ice. Defensively especially. Gudbranson is our best defender and I think he deserves more credit from you and almost everyone else posting on here. He’s not good with the puck no, but as a DEFENDER, he’s on another level than those guys when breaking up plays defensively with his stick or around the net.

And I still miss Seth Jones.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I hate to harp on a single point made, but where do your opinions on Werenski fit into this?? You’ve hyped his defense up for forever it seems, until today.

He's in an out of the lineup right now and it's harder to get a sense of his defense game to game.

I think Werenski's defensive ability is generally underrated here but I wouldn't say he's above average at it right now. This year he's too reluctant to put his shoulders into guys and stop them. He's not using his strength advantage. The guy is a unit but isn't playing like it, perhaps for the obvious reason.

I’d like to take this time to mention that I think Severson and Werenski are almost scarily similar as players on the ice. Defensively especially. Gudbranson is our best defender and I think he deserves more credit from you and almost everyone else posting on here. He’s not good with the puck no, but as a DEFENDER, he’s on another level than those guys when breaking up plays defensively with his stick or around the net.

I've liked Gudbranson's D much better this year. Is it above average? He can break up a play with his reach and strength but opposing forwards can get inside his stick at times. He sometimes loses track of the situation in loose puck situations in the crease, it seems it is not a strength of his.

And I still miss Seth Jones.

Seth Jones who just backed in defending every rush, and seemed more interest in basketball than hockey, never added any skill development to his game since he was about 23.

Reactions: LJ7

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
He's in an out of the lineup right now and it's harder to get a sense of his defense game to game.

I think Werenski's defensive ability is generally underrated here but I wouldn't say he's above average at it right now. This year he's too reluctant to put his shoulders into guys and stop them. He's not using his strength advantage. The guy is a unit but isn't playing like it, perhaps for the obvious reason.

I’ve kept most of my negative thoughts on Werenski to myself this year as it’s been noticeable to me that he’s still worried about the shoulder and it’s almost certainly still negatively affecting him. Problem is that, unlike pretty rare situations when he becomes angry/upset with the opposing team, he very rarely played a physical style in any way before that. But, that OT goal the other night is not something that can be excused by injury and also not something that’s really out of the ordinary with him over his NHL career, IMO. Very “Gudbranson-esque” if you will.

I've liked Gudbranson's D much better this year. Is it above average? He can break up a play with his reach and strength but opposing forwards can get inside his stick at times. He sometimes loses track of the situation in loose puck situations in the crease, it seems it is not a strength of his.
This is a noticeable negative aspect of his, around the net, yet I think it’s a pretty minimal issue when it comes to him personally. Most of the time he has an issue with the puck in his feet, he’s still keeping at least 1 guy away from the puck because of his wingspan/stick/aggressive play. Many times the player getting their stick on the puck is a “3rd party” that should really be the responsibility of another CBJ player. He’s got his “vision” issues as a player for sure, with or without the puck.

Seth Jones who just backed in defending every rush, and seemed more interest in basketball than hockey, never added any skill development to his game since he was about 23.

Ridiculous. More interested in basketball…what!?! Don’t leave out that he was COVERING for a young Werenski much of the time.

He’s literally the 2nd best player, and best defenseman to ever play for the team, behind Panarin. Legit Norris level for a couple years at least.

You and many others need to enter that program with Laine due to the PTSD involved in that Jones trade.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ridiculous. More interested in basketball…what!?! Don’t leave out that he was COVERING for a young Werenski much of the time.

He’s literally the 2nd best player, and best defenseman to ever play for the team, behind Panarin. Legit Norris level for a couple years at least.

Jones was legit great in his prime, but he peaked around age 23. I was just wondering why he didn't develop his skills, and his skating degraded earlier than it should have. Maybe he doesn't have the passion for the game? He has said he doesn't watch hockey, maybe that's part of it. He hasn't found a way to improve, it's a stark contrast to his buddy Boone who isn't naturally skilled but has steadily worked on his weaknesses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad