GDT: Jackets @ Canucks | 10 PM EST

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Could've just said sorry or admitted you mistook me for a "visiting fan" instead of doubling down (i.e. saying I was "throwing heavy stones" therefore my opinion is shit/invalid). Whatever.
You’re reaching. that is not what I said or implied.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was out and just got back to see the highlights.

This is the sort of game that you probably feel better about if you don't watch it. I'm happy the Jackets were right in the battle with one of the league's best. Texier is finally busting out. We got a PP goal. I'm happy anytime Chinny picks up a point, he's becoming a much more complete player.

By the fancy stats (no idea if they match the eye test), the top 3 lines got smoked at 5v5. And the 4th line did some smoking. Danforth almost 90% xGF%. That line has dominated for like 4 or 5 straight games now.

Our PK - nice to see they got a shorty, but they can't stop a beachball right now. Worst PK in the league since December 1st. I don't think this has gotten any coverage?

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
By the fancy stats (no idea if they match the eye test), the top 3 lines got smoked at 5v5. And the 4th line did some smoking. Danforth almost 90% xGF%. That line has dominated for like 4 or 5 straight games now.
Yes that is how it looked too

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
This marks the 13th time this season that the Blue Jackets have watched a third-period lead evaporate into a regulation or overtime loss. Fitting that it happened within a week of Groundhog Day, isn’t it?

That number (13) is incredible on two levels:

• the Jackets have played 48 games, meaning more than one-quarter of the schedule has been squandered after two periods

• the Jackets have won only 15 games all season

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Weird how for 3 years our defensive side of the game is horrible , defenseman out of position , and McCarthy is never brought up. Just another example of Jarmo being incompetent at his job. You look at that staff , that you’ve surrounded 2 rookie coaches with… Not to mention the team just has very subpar leadership..You saw Gudbranson try to fill some of that void as another 3 goal lead evaporated in the 3rd .. that might be the first time I’ve seen that all year . Can’t just be the coaches

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
  1. Three goal third-period lead blown.
  2. Four unanswered goals against.
  3. Completely impotent five-minute PP in the 3rd. No goals, one shot.
In a decently-run organization, this would be a result that gets people fired.
If no one got fired after blowing a 5 goal lead in Toronto, they won’t get fired after this.

Reactions: Halfboard

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Weird how for 3 years our defensive side of the game is horrible , defenseman out of position , and McCarthy is never brought up. Just another example of Jarmo being incompetent at his job. You look at that staff , that you’ve surrounded 2 rookie coaches with… Not to mention the team just has very subpar leadership..You saw Gudbranson try to fill some of that void as another 3 goal lead evaporated in the 3rd .. that might be the first time I’ve seen that all year . Can’t just be the coaches
I miss Brad Shaw. The guy they didn't even want to interview for the HC vacancy.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think it was an overall solid game against a competitive team. I think this team would be middling this year if not for the injuries and front loaded schedule.

That said, they need to waive Peeke and fire Mark Recchi.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Can anyone explain the Myers major? I think when he elbowed Kuraly, there was no delayed penalty but seconds later, Cole comes in and hits another player from behind in the same area and that's when I saw the refs arm go up signaling a penalty. What player was announced as getting the penalty prior to the review? If it was Myers, how would he have gotten the penalty if there was no call on him and if it was Cole, can you review a hit on a non call? Also, if Myers got the major, shouldn't it have been a 5 on 3? Why did Cole's penalty disappear? Even the Canucks announcers were confused. They said the Myers major was deserved but didn't understand how the review was on him because they also thought the original call was on Cole.

*never mind, just googled it. Apparently Elliot Friedman asked and NHL told him they just wanted to get the call right. OK the player getting the major was fixed but again why no 5 on 3 if the refs thought Cole took a penalty as well?

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Can anyone explain the Myers major? I think when he elbowed Kuraly, there was no delayed penalty but seconds later, Cole comes in and hits another player from behind in the same area and that's when I saw the refs arm go up signaling a penalty. What player was announced as getting the penalty prior to the review? If it was Myers, how would he have gotten the penalty if there was no call on him and if it was Cole, can you review a hit on a non call? Also, if Myers got the major, shouldn't it have been a 5 on 3? Why did Cole's penalty disappear? Even the Canucks announcers were confused. They said the Myers major was deserved but didn't understand how the review was on him because they also thought the original call was on Cole.
The original call was on Danforth getting boarded I believe. The whole sequence was odd, it probably should of been two separate minors. The elbow was extremely dirty though.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think it was an overall solid game against a competitive team. I think this team would be middling this year if not for the injuries and front loaded schedule.

That said, they need to waive Peeke and fire Mark Recchi.
Hilarious .. it always falls on the goalie and the powerplay…. Kinda what I mentioned above … Have you once seen an article questioning our defensive coaching the past 3 years .. Or an article maybe questioning the assistants Jarmo has surrounded his 2 rookie coaches with …we’ve been bleeding goals against , guys open in front of our goalies , passes from the corner to the other team in front of the net , and we want Mark Recchi fired ? It’s not Recchis coaching squandering 3 goal leads in the 3rd period … I get your frustration on Recchi, but it blows my mind the pass McCarthy gets , or Boll gets .. the whole staff appears to be an afterthought .. atleast Recchi has NHL experience , which is beneficial to Pascal . Personally , I think Pascal is doing a lot of really good things .. player development of the forwards has been off the charts . Defensively , I think the only player that’s improved is Boquist .. I think Pascal always is battling in his mind not putting Fantilli, or KJ, Chinakov , in bad spots .. protecting their minutes because of their development … we may be losing the battle , but he’s trying to win the war . Those are just my thoughts

Last edited:
Reactions: Indy18 and Napoli

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH

*never mind, just googled it. Apparently Elliot Friedman asked and NHL told him they just wanted to get the call right. OK the player getting the major was fixed but again why no 5 on 3 if the refs thought Cole took a penalty as well?
Cole was in the box and Myers was on the bench during the review.

Idk they just didn’t want to give a 5on3 advantage?

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Hilarious .. it always falls on the goalie and the powerplay…. Kinda what I mentioned above … Have you once seen an article questioning our defensive coaching the past 3 years .. Or an article maybe questioning the assistants Jarmo has surrounded his 2 rookie coaches with …we’ve been bleeding goals against , guys open in front of our goalies , passes from the corner to the other team in front of the net , and we want Mark Recchi fired ? It’s not Recchis coaching squandering 3 goal leads in the 3rd period … I get your frustration on Recchi, but it blows my mind the pass McCarthy gets , or Boll gets .. the whole staff appears to be an afterthought .. atleast Recchi has NHL experience , which is beneficial to Pascal . Personally , I think Pascal is doing a lot of really good things .. player development of the forwards has been off the charts . Defensively , I think the only player that’s improved is Boquist .. I think Pascal always is battling in his mind not putting Fantilli, or KJ, Chinakov , in bad spots .. protecting their minutes because of their development … we may be losing the battle , but he’s trying to win the war . Those are just my thoughts
Blown leads aside, I don't hate the job Vincent is doing.

People forget how much better players can play with a consistent coaching staff. It's kinda difficult to expect consistency when there is a new coach every year.

This D core is a joke and that is not on Vincent. The D zone strategy can and should be scrutinized but having roughly one good defensive dman (Severson) and even that could be disputed, is not at all on Vincent.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Blown leads aside, I don't hate the job Vincent is doing.

People forget how much better players can play with a consistent coaching staff. It's kinda difficult to expect consistency when there is a new coach every year.

This D core is a joke and that is not on Vincent. The D zone strategy can and should be scrutinized but having roughly one good defensive dman (Severson) and even that could be disputed, is not at all on Vincent.
Defense takes longer to acclimate to a new system.

You can't add Provorov, Severson, and Jiricek (plus for all intents and purposes Boqvist who has missed so much time) to a new team, have a new coach right before the season starts, play most of your games in the first 3 months with little practice time, and expect players to look good.

They need an off-season to practice and some actual consistency in who their partners are.

Reactions: Marioesque

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Who's our good defensive defensemen? Would you like to back up your disagreement with some stats or do you just give baseless opinions?

I've made hundreds of lengthy stat-driven posts on HFboards over the years, so it is odd to get asked this question.

So far you haven't supplied any stats or evidence or anything behind your point. I do feel today that I'd like to not be the one to do the legwork. You can do it yourself. Make an argument, and perhaps I'll respond to that.

Severson, by the way, is not good defensively, perhaps average would be easier to argue. He has always had erratic defensive positioning. I don't think we have a single defenseman who is above average defensively.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I have brought up McCarthy on several prior occasions but his mention seems to get no attention. I look at the last three years with different lineups in each and there are two common truths: defensive play has been poor; each group has been led by McCarthy. And not to shortchange the man, how’s his PK been doing?

We seem to have an emerging Jiricek problem. He’s not developed at a sufficient pace to play in the NHL. So they yo-yo him. Who has? Boqvist maybe?

IMO he should not be retained.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad