Jackets at Leafs 7pm EST

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I was at the Kings game where we coughed up a 3-0 lead and lost in OT. That was 3 goals in the third. CBJ had already established a reputation for cratering. I thought that was the worst.

That last night's game ended up a win and was on the road doesn't change that it was a worse feeling as a fan. We're (as fans) beyond throwing up our hands at this point.

Certainly the players and coaches don't plan for this to happen. Something is definitely amiss.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Last 4 games for pending RFA forwards that are going to (or should) sign long extensions:

Marchenko 1-2-3
Texier 1-0-0

Last 4 for pending RFA forwards that are potential trade pieces (or should sign short-term contracts imo):

KJ 2-4-6
Chinakhov 4-2-6

I'd be totally fine with this trend continuing, KJ and Chinakhov racking up points while Marchenko being a bit "snakebitten" with more moderate scoring.

KJ's decision-making and puck-carrying vs Leafs was much closer to what it needs to be consistently (=quicker), really nice assist on the first goal.

I'm still against playing Werenski on PP1 but now that he had a LH shooter on his right side (Chinakhov) and JG on the other flank, it didn't look like the worst possible fit. They generated solid scoring chances with little time they had together, there's no reason break them up for the next game. With Laine out, Chinakhov should be a regular on PP1 right halfwall to pump up his value.
Why are we trying to trade Chinakhov? You sign him to a long extension, he's finding his way and just needed some trust from the coaching staff. He looks quite good on that first PP actually. It also negates Werenski being completely useless as well.

Keep KJ, Marchenko, Chinny and Voronkov. Those guys plus Fantilli are the future of this team.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Why are we trying to trade Chinakhov? You sign him to a long extension, he's finding his way and just needed some trust from the coaching staff. He looks quite good on that first PP actually. It also negates Werenski being completely useless as well.

Keep KJ, Marchenko, Chinny and Voronkov. Those guys plus Fantilli are the future of this team.
We don't know who are the so-called future for this team. It could be all of those 4, none of them, or some of them. I believe that some of them will be here 5 years from now, but not all.

I'm much more confident about Marchenko's game translating well to NHL playoff hockey than I am about KJ and Chinakhov. He can do pretty much anything with and without the puck, except burn past defenders on the rush like Chinakhov. So far Chinakhov's defensive tools, cycle game and play in the middle, and stickhandling have been mediocre at best. KJ lacks strength and separating speed in almost every aspect of his skating, it's a concerning combo for a playmaking skill forward that should be producing when things get real tight.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
We don't know who are the so-called future for this team. It could be all of those 4, none of them, or some of them. I believe that some of them will be here 5 years from now, but not all.
Agreed.

That's yet another problem with having what is likely a lame duck GM. He could saddle the franchise with yet more long term deals.

While a case could be made for locking up player A or player B, the current state of the franchise is such that it's probably best for them to take advantage of their RFA leverage and delay the decisions on most of these players. There are already 5 players on long term/$5 million+ deals. The next GM should make the decisions on the current batch of RFAs. If ownership doesn't feel this way then they should extend Jarmo and let him make the decisions.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
A dinner last night kept me from watching live so I recorded the game and watched it late last night. What a glorious first two periods!

Vincent imparted his words of wisdom before the third and I’m left wondering what the heck am I seeing? Is there no lead too great for this team. Just after Kuraly commits his offside on the PK, the Leafs score making it 5-3. I curse and the recording time ended.

I’m still left foolishly thinking they couldn’t blow this one.So I look up the score and see 6-5 OT win. I was right - they didn’t blow it and held on for the win, just adding some drama. :sarcasm:

Also, great job KJ With 2 goals, 1 beautiful assist, 75% adjusted Fenwick and you had Laine going until he got hurt.

Happy for a win, but……What the heck is it with these guys ditching any interest in offense holding the lead (outshot 21-7 in 3rd)? And is there any team worse at bagging ENs which I suppose is to be expected when the strategy seems to be “just hunker down.” Question - Is our strategy to turtle or are our players simply turtles?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I don't see where we are "trying to trade him"

it came out he was open to a change of scenery because he "wasn't getting opportunities" yet he's been hurt much of the time. The Russian line is now clicking and he's getting his opportunity. I don't think either side is looking to move right now.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I don't see where we are "trying to trade him"

it came out he was open to a change of scenery because he "wasn't getting opportunities" yet he's been hurt much of the time. The Russian line is now clicking and he's getting his opportunity. I don't think either side is looking to move right now.
I don't think so either, was just responding to the above comment.

Chinakhov will continue to improve and lots of people will be backtracking. This year will be telling.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

MrBadguy

May 27, 2016
Did you really just suggest taking a goalie out of the game with a 5-2 lead?

Did you say that out loud to yourself first just to listen to yourself say it?

Silly. Bob didn't "need" a sports psychologist if you asked him.
Hah, must be funny to be smartass.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
The shot differential in the third for the season has to be ridiculous
goal differential by period:
1st: +9
2nd: +3
3rd: -27

it's comical. they've given up as many third period goals this season as they have in the first and second periods combined.

pascal vincent can say that it's not an intentional schematic thing all he wants but when it's the entire team and it's this drastic of a difference, it's the kind of problem that the coach needs to fix.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
goal differential by period:
1st: +9
2nd: +3
3rd: -27

it's comical. they've given up as many third period goals this season as they have in the first and second periods combined.

pascal vincent can say that it's not an intentional schematic thing all he wants but when it's the entire team and it's this drastic of a difference, it's the kind of problem that the coach needs to fix.
That's nuts to have that only 30 some games into the season. I was talking specifically about shots on goal in the third, which I'm going to guess is at least 2:1

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
That's nuts to have that only 30 some games into the season. I was talking specifically about shots on goal in the third, which I'm going to guess is at least 2:1
2:1 at least -- there are some games where it's like 10:1.

my theory is that it's not necessarily a structural choice but a usage one. vincent takes all of the skill guys off the ice in the third and that leaves a bunch of guys who just look to chip it out when they get the puck in the d-zone. leads to bad changes and them getting hemmed in their zone in the third.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Lots of people are complaining about Jackets inability to shut-down opponents and close out games and that's fair but to me it seems we might be overemphasizing the importance of playing good defense.

Inability to control large parts of puck possession game and have sustained pressure in the offensive end, especially late in the game when teams really start to push, is likely also a root of the problem of blown leads.

Shot differential for the Jackets is 2nd worst in the league (-157) currently, which may imply they're more of an opportunistic rush team that will struggle keeping pucks out of their net, whether they're tied, trailing or leading in the game. I doubt that changing the 3rd period turtle tactic to something more aggressive would help them get more wins in the long run.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm much more confident about Marchenko's game translating well to NHL playoff hockey than I am about KJ and Chinakhov. He can do pretty much anything with and without the puck, except burn past defenders on the rush like Chinakhov. So far Chinakhov's defensive tools, cycle game and play in the middle, and stickhandling have been mediocre at best. KJ lacks strength and separating speed in almost every aspect of his skating, it's a concerning combo for a playmaking skill forward that should be producing when things get real tight.

I'm also much more confident in Marchenko but I'll admit I wasn't a year ago. He wasn't playing a complete game. Chinakhov might have a more complete game next year. KJ could look very different in a couple years.

2:1 at least -- there are some games where it's like 10:1.

my theory is that it's not necessarily a structural choice but a usage one. vincent takes all of the skill guys off the ice in the third and that leaves a bunch of guys who just look to chip it out when they get the puck in the d-zone. leads to bad changes and them getting hemmed in their zone in the third.

The bad chips is a big part of it. There is very little poise with it, we're neither making a pass or getting clears. But I see them all doing it, the skill guys are doing it too.

Lots of people are complaining about Jackets inability to shut-down opponents and close out games and that's fair but to me it seems we might be overemphasizing the importance of playing good defense.

Inability to control large parts of puck possession game and have sustained pressure in the offensive end, especially late in the game when teams really start to push, is likely also a root of the problem of blown leads.

Shot differential for the Jackets is 2nd worst in the league (-157) currently, which may imply they're more of an opportunistic rush team that will struggle keeping pucks out of their net, whether they're tied, trailing or leading in the game. I doubt that changing the 3rd period turtle tactic to something more aggressive would help them get more wins in the long run.

I also see us as that type of opportunistic team, but obviously you can have an opportunistic rush type of team that doesn't blow multi goal leads with regularity.

I'd like to see better poise on the counterattack. Make a pass on the breakout and get going up ice, don't chip it to the point. Guys are hearing footsteps at this point.

If teams are pressing us, there should be a lot of opportunity on the counterattack and it is odd that we aren't getting more rushes in the third. I think keeping the high guy high more often (in between the D) would disrupt the opponents cycle and either push them out (buying space for a breakout) or give us breakaway and odd man chances.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Despite the 3rd period disaster, this was by far the most fun I've had watching a game all year. I wish there was another game tonight!

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
That's yet another problem with having what is likely a lame duck GM. He could saddle the franchise with yet more long term deals.
quick reminder here that ownership signs off on every contract.

i think the bigger issue with a lame duck GM is that they're kind of stuck just staying the course. no ownership group is going to sign off on a big swing if the GM is on thin ice.

if jarmo goes to ownership and says "we want to extend spencer martin on a one-year, 800k two-way deal" ownership won't object. if he says "we want to trade for elias lindholm and sign him to an 8-year extension" ownership wouldn't want to potentially saddle the next GM with the ramifications of that kind of move.

the jackets already have an issue with roster flexibility. being led by a GM who doesn't have ownership's full buy-in only compounds that issue.

Reactions: Indy18

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4