Dreger: Jackets and Yotes “talking” Chychrun

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I don't get this deal from a CBJ POV.

IMO
Don't need, don't want.
Can find something cheaper in FA (defensive dmen) and if we are going to use all are trade assets, use them on a center.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I'm not saying any single player should or should not be moved, nor am I saying that CLB should or should not trade for JC. All I'm saying is IF CLB is trading for JC, there are going to have to be some players/assets put on the table that fans don't want to get rid of.

Sure: Sillinger, Johnson, Wersenski -- of course those guys are untouchables. Maybe there are 1 or 2 other guys as well. But if you want to get an elite player, you've got to give up a top asset or two. So if it's not the #6 pick straight up and number #12 instead, then there's going to need to be at least one other blue-chip, can't miss top prospect included or a top 10 protected 2023 first. It's not going to be a 3 or 4 B or C level pieces.

Quality is more important than quantity in the return for AZ. Otherwise there's no deal to be made between these 2 teams. And yet there's been a lot of smoke -- so perhaps Jarmo isn't quite as unwilling to move some of the pieces that fans may be.

Please excuse my ignorance. I haven't watched Arizona in a while. Can you give me your take on Chychrun? You mention he is elite. Is he a Norris contender?

Who is a good comparable? Makar? Hedman? What's elite?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I wouldn’t trade 3rd for 6th and 12th. So take those out. Crouse isn’t available, so take him out. Chychrun can be had for either 6th or 12th and Ceulemans. You can choose which you prefer.
I choose to be out. Chychrun is a good player but I don't think the fit is there with Werenski already there. And I hope they don't overspend to play him on the wrong side. I've seen a couple of players mentioned that I would be ok seeing traded away but certainly not Texier, the 6th or Ceulemans. I don't expect the Yotes to give him away. The 12th and Ceulemans is a fair ask.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I choose to be out. Chychrun is a good player but I don't think the fit is there with Werenski already there. And I hope they don't overspend to play him on the wrong side. I've seen a couple of players mentioned that I would be ok seeing traded away but certainly not Texier, the 6th or Ceulemans. I don't expect the Yotes to give him away. The 12th and Ceulemans is a fair ask.
It seems like Arizona wants a big pile of stuff. I think that’s a mistake but it sounds that way.

Scandella, Perunovich, Hofer, Neighbours, 23rd overall for Chychrun, Capobianco, and Fischer. Something big and ugly like that seems like the way it’ll go down, if it goes down at all. Nobody will be happy about it. Haha.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Please excuse my ignorance. I haven't watched Arizona in a while. Can you give me your take on Chychrun? You mention he is elite. Is he a Norris contender?

Who is a good comparable? Makar? Hedman? What's elite?
Good size, good puck skills. Average defensively, above average offensively, but nothing eye opening. Similar to Chabot... but not as good. Had a lot of injuries in his first three years. Two knees injuries, and one shoulder, that kept him out of a lot of games.

Still young, and on a nice contract.

He isn't close to being elite, or top 10. Werenski has a similar package and tendencies(don't watch a a lot of CBJ), but is better. 66th in the league in points over his time in the league. 80th in P/GP.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Have you seen what they’ve done over the last year?

With Chychrun+ Johnson& non rookie Sillinger Columbus is definitely fighting for a playoff spot already.

Then add they have the 6th overall for this draft and they mean business
i wouldn't count on the 6th oa being a factor in his d+1 season. if columbus is lucky, he could be. but if they pick jiricek i don't think we see him in the nhl immediately.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
This trade is going to come down to whether or not a player the Yotes really covet being available at one of CBJ first round slots. If someone like Cutter Gautiher for example slips to 6 or even 12 I think there could be a high probability the Chychrun talks intensify.

I only see a trade between these two happening on the draft floor when the Yotes get a better sense of who will be available at the various picks.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
If I'm Columbus, i'm making every effort to NOT INCLUDE Texier in a Chychrun deal. He was on the cusp of exploding last season before he got derailed. Looks like he had a good tourney at the WCs. I expect big things from this kid!

I understand you have to give to get, but he's a player i would hang onto at almost all costs.

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
There's no chance I'm trading the 2nd overall pick for Chychrun. I dont know if I'd do it for the 6th. Really depends who is on the board still.

Reactions: Eegs and Fro

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
There's no chance I'm trading the 2nd overall pick for Chychrun. I dont know if I'd do it for the 6th. Really depends who is on the board still.
Depends on where New Jersey thinks it is at in its rebuild and what its players are saying/doing.

If pressure is on the team to win now, moving the 2nd OA for Chychrun may fit their plan better than drafting Slafkovsky/Wright or even Nemec/Jiricek and waiting 2-3 years.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Depends on where New Jersey thinks it is at in its rebuild and what its players are saying/doing.

If pressure is on the team to win now, moving the 2nd OA for Chychrun may fit their plan better than drafting Slafkovsky/Wright or even Nemec/Jiricek and waiting 2-3 years.
I just dont think Chychrun is putting any team over the hump. Especially when youd be giving up control over a younger player for multiple years in a salary cap era. It doesnt make sense unless you truly believe he's going to be a great player for you. Better than the guy you'd draft for half the amount of years on your team.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I'll be honest. NJ is not in win now mode. They realistically need another 2 years. I'd like to see them succeed because the Devils are my #2 team but I think if they were to acquire Chychrun it would be more for building to 2 years down the road when he's really in his prime.

Is that worth #2 overall? I don't think so but I think it is feasible they can rely on Chychrun in 2 years more than they can rely on whoever they could draft on D today.

Columbus is closer to "Win Now" but I think the Devils are in a position to be competitive in 2 years if they make the right moves now to build their core. Both teams have defense as their weakness.

Reactions: CBJx614

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'll be honest. NJ is not in win now mode. They realistically need another 2 years. I'd like to see them succeed because the Devils are my #2 team but I think if they were to acquire Chychrun it would be more for building to 2 years down the road when he's really in his prime.

Is that worth #2 overall? I don't think so but I think it is feasible they can rely on Chychrun in 2 years more than they can rely on whoever they could draft on D today.

Columbus is closer to "Win Now" but I think the Devils are in a position to be competitive in 2 years if they make the right moves now to build their core. Both teams have defense as their weakness.
Where the team actually is at does not always match what ownership or the players demand the team be at.

I'm saying there could be a situation in which NJ is being pressured to enter "win now" sooner than their GM may anticipate.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I think he'll be a Blue Jacket as long as NJ does literally anything else with 2OA. I think they'll keep it if Wright goes 1OA. I wonder if they'd take a big swing for Tkachuk, since that'd increase the likelihood that they could sign Gaudreau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad