Dreger: Jackets and Yotes “talking” Chychrun

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I apologize for my ignorance, but why is Arizona so intent on trading Chychrun?
I don't think it is the Coyotes , but instead the internet. All GMBA had said about trading Chychrun is ..."if it improves the Coyotes" and speculation comes from Jacob's exit interview and it doesn't help that Kuemper now has his name etched on the cup. So basically Armstrong said he is looking for an overpayment, acknowledged that he had discussions of very interesting offers, but now after the season Chychrun had, noone has stepped up.

Reactions: Pantokrator

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
That's what I was thinking too. A cap strapped contender would probably pay a premium to get a 24yo top 10 dman with term.
You'd think so - but they tend to have fewer futures available to offer.

Coyotes fans have felt for a while that the winning bidder for Chychrun would be a young team that wants to take a step forward into, or beyond the playoff bubble.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
These teams seem like odd pair for this kind of trade...
I don't know. Columbus is a at least two years ahead of AZ and Chychrun is VERY young. I think it makes a lot of sense. Assets like this rarely become available and he's basically the ideal piece for a team looking it pull up out of a rebuild. I think Detroit would be a great fit, too. Or LA. Maybe even Anaheim.

InfiniteElement

Jan 4, 2019
What would Arizona want for Chychrun, Crouse, 3OA? I'm guessing CBJ's picks 6 and 12, what else? I know we just got Olivier, but Crouse may be a good add at forward too.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So you are tellimg me Laine is staying his whole career in Columbus right?Reminds me of a movie I once watched titled GOOD BYE COLUMBUS!These kids are not going to Uber for entertainment when it is right on their laps.Its unfortunate but it s a college town with OSU being king.
OT but Laine literally said he loves being here and expects to stay here, he also just had a Finnish interview saying he's literally just waiting for Jarmo and his agent to work out the details and he'll sign.

These "kids" who are college age are more than happy to be in a college town. The core is tight knit and as long they start winning, most players don't care where they play as long as they winning and are having successful careers.

I can't pretend to say I know Chychrun would like Columbus, but by all accounts he should fit into the defensive core like a glove.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Honestly, aside from Laine, Werenski, Johnson, and Sillinger I could see any piece being moved for Chychrun. The Jackets have a log jam in the top-6 (Laine, Voracek, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Sillinger, Johnson, Roslovic, Texier, Marchenko, Chinakov, Bemstrom) and also have a significant number of future assets.

Ceulemans looks great but Chychrun is who you hope he develops into. Texier at times was the best forward last season but it's time for him to show consistency and he keeps getting injured. I also like Boqvist more than I think most fans but he has injury concerns and while he may be the most offensively gifted of our defensemen I am confident that Werenski and Blankenburg are quite capable.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What would Arizona want for Chychrun, Crouse, 3OA? I'm guessing CBJ's picks 6 and 12, what else? I know we just got Olivier, but Crouse may be a good add at forward too.
I wouldn’t trade 3rd for 6th and 12th. So take those out. Crouse isn’t available, so take him out. Chychrun can be had for either 6th or 12th and Ceulemans. You can choose which you prefer.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Honestly, aside from Laine, Werenski, Johnson, and Sillinger I could see any piece being moved for Chychrun. The Jackets have a log jam in the top-6 (Laine, Voracek, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Sillinger, Johnson, Roslovic, Texier, Marchenko, Chinakov, Bemstrom) and also have a significant number of future assets.

Ceulemans looks great but Chychrun is who you hope he develops into. Texier at times was the best forward last season but it's time for him to show consistency and he keeps getting injured. I also like Boqvist more than I think most fans but he has injury concerns and while he may be the most offensively gifted of our defensemen I am confident that Werenski and Blankenburg are quite capable.
Pretty big reach calling some of those players "top 6".

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Theyve got the assets to go after local boy JT Miller as well.
oh for G-d's sake can we just stop this already? JT Miller is "local" to the Jackets the same way someone from Gatineau would be "local" to the Canadiens. He's a Pittsburgh kid. Raised, grew up, played all his early developmental hockey there until the USNTDP came calling.

* * *​
It seems that a variety of different CLB fans all have different guys on the untouchables list....to the point that, soon, there won't actually be anyone available for trade :laugh:
This is a 100% accurate assessment. We have a surplus of promsing young forwards, and everybody has their own bets on which ones are going to turn out the best and which ones are untouchable. Any deal involving any of them is going to make some people happy and some people frustrated and predicting regret. There's no real consensus.

For the record, my personal sacred cows are Texier and Bemstrom, and I lack faith in Chinakhov. ;)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That is a very rare take.
It's shared with others. I really do think folks are really sleeping on Tex.

I don't express it in so many terms that often, tho, because... well, I'd love to quip that my amateur scouting record is itself amateur at best, but that's giving it far too much credit. :D I do much better with established pros, when I have lots of extra sources to cross-check my observations with.

Reactions: Eegs and majormajor

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Completely understand your want there. It's the same reason we don't want to move him. He's one of the few (if not only) current high end RHD in our system (not in NHL). Boqvist is our other high end RHD but as @majormajor noted, he's not as high on Boqvist but I am. Still just 21 and oozes offensive skill. He needs to work on his strength and two way game but I also think he's a high end core piece for Columbus. If Chychrun were a RHD, I think that changes our position with who is available. Knowing he can play the right side is helpful but not likely natural and he's not going to unseat Werenski (I suspect) so that's why I would not move Texier and also adds to the bigger challenge with moving Ceulemans or Boqvist
It's not "few" - he's the only RHD. The next guy on the depth chart would be somebody like Eric Hjorth or the just-signed Billy Sweezey. Y'know, guys who we hope might have a good career in Cleveland.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
At that point they're glaring at us the same way we were glaring at folks who dared to bring up names like Johnson and Sillinger.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Pretty big reach calling some of those players "top 6".
The overwhelming majority are already producing at a top-6 level. The rest are all 23 or younger and retain upside of that level or better.

EDIT: There seems to be this common misapprehension around the League that because our only PPG player was Laine that it meant our offense was somehow terrible. We were in the top half of the League in goals for. It's goals against that we need to do something about - thus our probable interest in Chychrun. :)

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Cool 2 recent tweets saying the opposite
I think Columbus is still the front runner but they are trying to get Arizona to lower their price based on that ask. Both sides will milk this out as long as possible to get the best deal unless someone steps up to overpay.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I still don't trust Hedger to have any credible inside information...but he has been right out front on this

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
sources tell me I have as many nhl sources as Brian hedger.

i honestly throught he was just some twitter person until I stumbled upon the fact that he actually works for the local fish wrap.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
At this point, if it does happen I expect the deal will not be announced until the Blue Jackets are on the clock at the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad