Jack Michaels - Oilers PBP

Jack Micaels game calling during the play ....

• Total voters

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Not sure why this is an argument, people like different things. Never understood when someone voices their opinion to be told no you're wrong he's good or not good. So many love to argue just to argue I guess 🤷

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
No Michaels is quite horrible. Always turn the sound down when that fake WWF over the top guy calls games. You must be a kid and not remember great passionate guys who followed the play and showed genuine excitement like Rod Philips.
regardless of your opinion, saying he's worse than Jack Edwards who is clearly suffering from some kind of neurological disorder causing him to slur his speech and be two plays behind the action is a bad take. Edwards used to be great, but he's clearly at the end of the line and suffering from something effecting his speech and calling ability

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I'd like Jack to tone it down a bit. But not too much. His energy and enthusiasm are incredible attributes to him. Agreed though that his banter is annoying at times. If he limits that as well I think more people would like his call.

He has amazing calls on some of our jaw dropping (McDrai) goals. When taken alone, I wouldn't doubt it that they become as legendary as Cole, Cuthbert, etc.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
His call after Swayman robbed Draisaitl in OT was hilarious. His ability to segue from heart attack to Monday morning announcements is beautiful

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Imagine inviting a group of people over to watch the game. Everybody is trying to get into it but there’s two people having a conversation and half the time it’s got nothing to do with the game. It starts becoming a distraction and you can no longer focus on the game. You wish they’d shut up but they don’t and you start getting edgy and can’t enjoy the game. You don’t want to invite them over again.

Now imagine how much worse it would be if one of them was always screaming when he talked. And the other one was always talking about how the other team is playing better than yours even if you’re winning. Or when your team scores he quickly tells you it probably won’t count but yet it does. At first you think it’s probably a one off and he isn’t a jerk or a troll but he keeps doing it.

That my friends is the Jack and Louie experience. Sucks the fun right out of watching the Oilers.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Manic energy.

Cuts both ways. He can give a sense of the moment with his high energy. Downside is the energy never reduces to give some relief. I think this approach works best for radio when it needs to create pictures in one's mind versus tv where good play calling augments what everyone can see. Michael's is always filling air and too often, in a terrible habit formed onboarding with Stauffer, it wanders into disjointed, disruptive, self indulgent storytelling.

Jack Michaels to me is pretty good and better than many options. Good catch phrases. Less is more for play-by-play guys which would make his best calls of a generational McDavid and a very good team that much better. Good pipes, great energy, don't fill every second on television broadcasts that everyone can see. Pick the moments to accentuate. Eliminate the bad learned habits, no one cares.

Big Louie has regressed. Pet peeve: "To be honest with you..." This literally never needs to be said. Lou I have no reason to expect that you're bullshitting us. Real nice guy but soft on crime ... not enough edge in critiquing poor play. Over fixating on goal reviews.

Overall I find this team pretty good. Little less oxygen taken up by Michaels and a little more edge to Debrusk would help imo.

Reactions: AM and oilers'72

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No Michaels is quite horrible. Always turn the sound down when that fake WWF over the top guy calls games. You must be a kid and not remember great passionate guys who followed the play and showed genuine excitement like Rod Philips.
Rod Philips in his heyday was unmatched IMO.
He was so invested in the team and the game itself that he just lit up games with his play calling. Even when I was in attendance at Northlands/Skyreach (Rexall) there were times when I would listen to Rod call the game while I watched it live.
He was one of a kind.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Rod Philips in his heyday was unmatched IMO.
He was so invested in the team and the game itself that he just lit up games with his play calling. Even when I was in attendance at Northlands/Skyreach (Rexall) there were times when I would listen to Rod call the game while I watched it live.
He was one of a kind.
I used to look way up in the press box at Northlands he would be holding a mike standing up leaning over the railing doing the call he was very invested in the games

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Like me, it seems that Jack Michael’s purchases his ties from the guy with the truck parked at the 7-11s every summer, selling flags, black velvet art and bitchin’ ties.
Soul brotha.

• Haha
Reactions: oilers'72

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’m not sure listening to Singh all night is better.
Either way we’re treated like crap in this market. I get why people don’t like Singh. Jack is unlistenable to me and that started his first season doing radio. I’ll take anybody over him even if it’s Singh. It’s a real shame that those are what are options are but we all know Toronto run Sportsnet couldn’t care less about Edmonton or its fans.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Thats fair but this notion that Jack is good compared to Singh is like saying that -25 degrees is a lot better than -30 degrees.
Its a weak argument.
To me it’s like -70 vs -1. But I guess we all have our preferences.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Either way we’re treated like crap in this market. I get why people don’t like Singh. Jack is unlistenable to me and that started his first season doing radio. I’ll take anybody over him even if it’s Singh. It’s a real shame that those are what are options are but we all know Toronto run Sportsnet couldn’t care less about Edmonton or its fans.
I don’t understand the problem. You are after all watching the game. I could understand if you couldn’t see it. If you’re too drunk to see you should probably go home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad