Jack Michaels - Oilers PBP

Jack Micaels game calling during the play ....

• Total voters

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
He goes a little overboard sometimes, but like people have said it’s when there’s nothing going on or the game is basically decided. I just like Jack Michaels so I don’t mind it most of the time.

It’s funny because when they first hired him as the radio guy I hated him. He creeped me out even. Stauffer seemed to despise him too for a couple years. Idk why but he grew on me, he’s probably my favorite PBP guy that exclusively calls oilers games. I’m so used to Jack Michaels energy now that I find myself getting sleepy when Singh calls games. The wrestling promoter energy bothered the hell out of me and now I demand it.
It’s like the Calgary olympics. They hired the chuck wagon guy to call the cross country skiing events. It actually made w the event worth watching. The first and only olympics where I’ve watched whole races.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have to say...Jack seemed better in last nights game.
It sure seemed like he actually called most of the game.
I hope it continues.

Reactions: bellagiobob

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
It’s like the Calgary olympics. They hired the chuck wagon guy to call the cross country skiing events. It actually made w the event worth watching. The first and only olympics where I’ve watched whole races.
No Michaels is the worst PBP guy in hockey, even worse than the Boston guy. He is over the top WWF , he can't follow the play well and he talks about stupid stuff while play is going in. Bottom line is he is an embarrassment and have no idea why oilers hired an American to call oilers games. He may be a great family guy but he sucks at PBP

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018
80%...lol
Look...you like Jack and his stroy telling.
Thats fine...you are just in the minority.
Interesting little echo chamber in here on Jack. The vast majority of people I know IRL love him.

It may be a "minority" out of the 168 people who have voted on this board, but that's about it. Perhaps you have had a different experience IRL, but I would wager a guess that this isn't representative of the fanbase.

Reactions: AM and fresh meat

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I like Michaels alot, he's really grown on me. I think we're very fortunate he's our PBP guy and he seems to really like Edmonton too

No Michaels is the worst PBP guy in hockey, even worse than the Boston guy. He is over the top WWF , he can't follow the play well and he talks about stupid stuff while play is going in. Bottom line is he is an embarrassment and have no idea why oilers hired an American to call oilers games. He may be a great family guy but he sucks at PBP

ridiculous comment

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting little echo chamber in here on Jack. The vast majority of people I know IRL love him.

It may be a "minority" out of the 168 people who have voted on this board, but that's about it. Perhaps you have had a different experience IRL, but I would wager a guess that this isn't representative of the fanbase.
So you and your acquaintences (the vast majority of people you know...your little echo chamber) are a more reliable reflection of how Jack is perceived overall than a poll on a message board?

Regarding this thread/poll...maybe it is representative of the fan base...maybe it isnt.
Tough to know. No claims were made.

What we do know about the poll is that it is representative of this board...so far.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
IMO he's gotten better. He's always come across as a really nice and likeable guy. Louie on the other hand has taken a step in the wrong direction lately.
I agree.
Its never been about Jacks likability for me.
Jack seems like a likeable dude.
This is strictly about how he calls the games.

He did seem to be better last game. Less inane story telling...more game calling.
Im good with that. :nod:

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I was so confused reading the first two pages of this thread, while not noticing the dates on the posts.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Obviously you don’t watch all of the games.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I was so confused reading the first two pages of this thread, while not noticing the dates on the posts.
When I seen this thread again my heart skipped a beat. When I quickly scrolled I read it as Jack Michaels - Rip out of the corner of my eye

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I like Jack I just don't like him on tv why because of how he calls plays. He works on radio because of his excitement. But on TV I can literally see that the amazing play did in fact not happen

ANd Louie is a dumb ass

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I like Jack I just don't like him on tv why because of how he calls plays. He works on radio because of his excitement. But on TV I can literally see that the amazing play did in fact not happen

ANd Louie is a dumb ass
Yeah...thats an issue for sure. I am willing to overlook that if he just stopped the Jack and Louie storytime show.
I think I have gotten used to the phoney excitement level he somtimes uses to jazz up things that arent worthy of excitment.

Reactions: oilers'72

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I like Jack, can't stand Louie and wish Cuthbert called every Oiler game. Quinn was ok, but I do like Jack better. I also miss Rod but only Rod in his prime. No one could call a radio game like him

Reactions: oilers'72 and AM

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's a harsh indictment, but not inaccurate.

Case in point, rambling about Josh Archibald baptizing his baby in the Stanley Cup while a breakaway is developing ( :10)...

Not to mention the cringe hype-up of Crosby's goal and inane chatter on the 3-1 goal.

You nailed it.
Its the development of the play thats all too often missing from his call. The buildup of the play is important as well. It adds to the play overall and to the viewer staying invested in the game and all the little plays that really matter. Its like having the scoring highlights and only focussing on the goal and not on the play that preceeded it.
Jack fails miserably far too often in that regard.
That call 10 seconds in is a perfect example.
Why not tell that story in between whistles? Is that story sooo important that it should be prioritized over the play that sets up the breakaway?
The answer is obviously NO.
The 3-3 goal is even worse...Jack is so engaged in story time that he doesnt even call the goal until after its in the net.
Absolute garbage play calling.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
It's a harsh indictment, but not inaccurate.

Case in point, rambling about Josh Archibald baptizing his baby in the Stanley Cup while a breakaway is developing ( :10)...

Not to mention the cringe hype-up of Crosby's goal and inane chatter on the 3-1 goal.

Nobodies perfect. I prefer open eyed enthusiasm over whatever Singh has brought. Funny enough I like listening to Singh in Punjabi. When he calls it like jack. To be honest, when the oilers are winning I can deal with whatever banter these guys supply.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
I like Michaels alot, he's really grown on me. I think we're very fortunate he's our PBP guy and he seems to really like Edmonton too

ridiculous comment
No Michaels is quite horrible. Always turn the sound down when that fake WWF over the top guy calls games. You must be a kid and not remember great passionate guys who followed the play and showed genuine excitement like Rod Philips.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad