Jack Michaels: Brutal commentator

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He sounds so bad because Rod Phillips was such a treat to listen to. There are tons of commentators in America that make Jack sound like an elite commentator.

I don't hate the dude, but he isn't great either. If someone good comes along, I hope he gets replaced.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
hes brutal.

I always remember he had some comment about a broken play that was like "early prematura"...or "terminus" or something like that....

his "colour" is ridiculously putrid.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I find him alright, even though I don't listen to the games, only when I'm not watching the game. I like Stauffer.

I'm not listening to 630 anymore do to the fact that Tencer was moved to the morning show. Worst decision they could've made, and now 630 is really garbage.

The Perfect Human*

Anyone else thinks he sounds like Iago from Aladdin?

Iago.gif

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
He sounds so bad because Rod Phillips was such a treat to listen to. There are tons of commentators in America that make Jack sound like an elite commentator.

I don't hate the dude, but he isn't great either. If someone good comes along, I hope he gets replaced.
Didn't he sign a 20 or 25 year contract or something when he got the job? I remember reading that somewhere. If that's the case then you'd better get used to him.

Meh? I'm ambivalent. He's fine occasionally.

orangeshinpads

Jan 27, 2007
Vancouver
The thing that bothers me the most is that he's American...
Canadian team, Canadian game, American voice bringing it to a Canadian audience. It's not that I hate Americans, it's just that hockey is deep culture here, and it makes sense that we listen to a voice that comes from these parts when we listen to our own local team. Just the sound of his voice is an anachronism in a hard working hockey town in Northern Canada. It also seems to say there are no Canadians or Edmontonians good enough to do it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The thing that bothers me the most is that he's American...
Canadian team, Canadian game, American voice bringing it to a Canadian audience. It's not that I hate Americans, it's just that hockey is deep culture here, and it makes sense that we listen to a voice that comes from these parts when we listen to our own local team. Just the sound of his voice is an anachronism in a hard working hockey town in Northern Canada. It also seems to say there are no Canadians or Edmontonians good enough to do it.

Nationality shouldn't mean a lick, last that I checked the guys on the ice aren't all Canadians or Edmontonians either.

That said I don't care about his voice as I have heard much worse in life. What I do care about is having the PBP guy paint me a picture with his words. ie "Elias dumps the puck in, Justin Schultz beats Elias to the puck, curls around the net and passes to Hall cutting up the middle, Hall takes it wide and fires a hard wrister that Brodeur deflects into the stands"

Instead from what I saw in preseason it'd be "Elias dumps it in, you know Bob Elias played with former Oiler Jason Arnott on the Devils last Cup winning team, do you remember who the Oilers got in return for Arnott from the Devils? Faceoff coming up in the Oilers zone, RNH lines up for the draw, so any idea on that Bob, I'll give you a hint......". Now naturally Stauffer would know the answer because he's sharp that way but that's just my example of how he does things.

He seems like a nice guy and all, but the purpose of radio at least in my eyes is to do PBP for those that cannot watch the game so that they can follow and basically picture the game through their ears as ridiculous as that sounds.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
I have written a letter to 630 CHED expressing my opinion. Seems that if I feel this strongly about something should do something about it.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
The problem I have with Michaels is that I don't necessarily want to keep listening. I like his passion, but often it seems forced.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
The OILERS radio network
This, more than anything else that he does, drives me crazy. That ridiculous yellgruntbark is like nails on a chalkboard.

The Oilers botched this hiring something fierce. Michaels was absolutely the wrong person for the gig.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This, more than anything else that he does, drives me crazy. That ridiculous yellgruntbark is like nails on a chalkboard.

The Oilers botched this hiring something fierce. Michaels was absolutely the wrong person for the gig.

Hey, it's not like they chose Dan Tenser. :D

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Michaels is OK. don't mind him at all. I'm never one to have a hate on for these announcers or commentators that so many seem to have. Like John Garrett. I have no problem with him, yet many can't stand the guy? why? he's commentator. Or Greg Zaun for the blue jays. what's so bad about him? he's fine.

I don't understand why people really give a sh-t about any of these commentators/announcers. no biggie.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I really cannot stand listening to him at all either. And as everyone has stated, the way he says "OILERS" really sharp followed by "RADIO NETWORK" just kills me.

His PbP is terrible. There's no sense of scenery or pace. He's almost too short and it sounds like he's yelling at me.

I'd say Roger Millions is the worst, whoever the Sportsnet PbP guy for the Flames...awful.

Last edited:

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Michaels is OK. don't mind him at all. I'm never one to have a hate on for these announcers or commentators that so many seem to have. Like John Garrett. I have no problem with him, yet many can't stand the guy? why? he's commentator. Or Greg Zaun for the blue jays. what's so bad about him? he's fine.

I don't understand why people really give a sh-t about any of these commentators/announcers. no biggie.

Zaun'er only does the pre/post game, not the PbP. Buck handles the majority of the Jay's games and is absolutely unreal at it. He works for all the other major networks during the playoffs and has an in with most teams. One of the best out there.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Not a huge fan of listening to his play by play, but that many of you don't like the way he says "on the OILERS radio network" ?

I kind of like don't really see how it's annoying. But I guess that's just me

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not a huge fan of listening to his play by play, but that many of you don't like the way he says "on the OILERS radio network" ?

I kind of like don't really see how it's annoying. But I guess that's just me

You notice how there is no "appreciation" threads for much of anything?

People just ***** for the sake of *****ing.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
"shot DENIED by Devan Dubnyk!" (not called enough this year so far..) is like nails on a chalkboard

then he and Bob ramble on about something other than whats going on on the ice drives me crazy too

Rod was the best because he called the play, had a little homer in his voice, especially if a penalty was called or not called...and most of all made the game seem like an excitingt game despite how boring it may have been

Jack Michaels is the worst

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
"shot DENIED by Devan Dubnyk!" (not called enough this year so far..) is like nails on a chalkboard

then he and Bob ramble on about something other than whats going on on the ice drives me crazy too

Rod was the best because he called the play, had a little homer in his voice, especially if a penalty was called or not called...and most of all made the game seem like an excitingt game despite how boring it may have been

Jack Michaels is the worst

What made Rod awesome was his ability to call out players and referees when they screwed up. He wasn't afraid to chirp anyone, but was very respectful for the ones he liked. Yeah, so what it's bias. He's an Oiler PbP and allowed to be.

I knew Rod's daughter, he signed a picture for me in highschool...damn can't find it. lol

OntOilFan

Aug 9, 2006
I'd rather have Corey Graham call the Oilers games.

Stauffer is half the problem, too.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
I have written a letter to 630 CHED expressing my opinion. Seems that if I feel this strongly about something should do something about it.

If more people actually did this, there would be a much higher likelihood of change. I am sending an email and putting a link to this thread as well to show it's not just me that feels this way.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Seems like a yearly whinge but man, listening to 630 CHED on the road and he makes the game extremely difficult to listen to.

"Brunner passes the puck up the wing. Brunner had a big league a few years back in the Swiss league, then he played for Detroit, his favourite colour is....shoots and scores. Wow."

Absolutely terrible play by play with too much useless information.

"from the OILERS radio network".

Urgh. Maybe we can start a poll to fire this guy?

I agree with everything here.

If Micheal's could cut back on the useless information and just call the play as well as eliminate the ridiculous 'OILERS radio network' he would be fine.

He is no Rod Phillips who had a knack of expressing exactly what was going on in the game in terms of play by play and emotion. He communicated everything really effectively and it drew you into the game.

Michaels doesn't have that ability but he could be a lot better with some adjustments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad