Prospect Info: Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko?

Who do you want more: Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think the line between franchise/elite and generational is significant.

When I think of Hank, I think of him as arguably the best of his generation based on consistency, but I don't know if year-in and year-out people inherently thought he was THE goalie in the NHL. He was one of the guys under consideration, but I don't know if there was multi-year stretch where anyone said --- this is the guy we're going to compare future draft picks and generations of stars to.

And for me, when you start talking generational, those elements are part of the conversation.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I don't think anyone who's never seen at least a moderate amount of time there can do it.

But there are guys who haven't been full-time centers, or seen more time on the wings, who've made it.

Kevin Hayes comes to mind.

I’m pretty sure I’ve read Stan Mikita came up as a winger and switched to center in the NHL.

Messier was a winger his first few NHL years but he may have been a center in juniors.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’m pretty sure I’ve read Stan Mikita came up as a winger and switched to center in the NHL.

Messier was a winger his first few NHL years but he may have been a center in juniors.

I believe Messier was a center, switched to LW, and then switched back as his game matured.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I’d go with Hughes. Hard for me to say Kakko without being guilty of cognitive dissonance.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think we need to pump the brakes here a little bit. I’ve seen “generational” and “franchise “ player thrown around a lot in this thread. I have not been under the impression that either of these guys are necessarily franchise players let alone generational.

I think they both have legit 1st line PPG upside but are either one really considered to be “franchise” players?

I really HOPE they are, please convince me they are.

Kakko for sure is a franchise prospect.

He has all the potential to become a ppg+ powerforward.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Honest question: can anybody give me an example of a guy who became a center at 17/18/19 and stuck as a center?

I feel like, in most cases, if you're gonna be an NHL center, you were always a center.

Both Aho and Kotkaniemi were wingers in Liiga.. they're now centers in the NHL.

This is very common. Elias Pettersson was a winger for half a season even after being drafted.

Reactions: Machinehead

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Honest question: can anybody give me an example of a guy who became a center at 17/18/19 and stuck as a center?

I feel like, in most cases, if you're gonna be an NHL center, you were always a center.
Marc-Andre Cliche.

OK, stuck might be a stretch.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kakko is a winger and should be kept as such IMO.

The only piece of advise I'd give him is come over seas this summer and train here. He's got a nice frame on him, but he tends to fade a bit later in his shifts. The grind of a pro season here is unforgiving, better be prepared for it the best you can.

Same goes for Kravstov, though he also needs to eat a steak or five.

sob1

Apr 29, 2018
Northern Finland
I have not seen any Hughes games so I will not answer the original question.

But I have seen a sh1tload of Kotkaniemi and Kakko games in men's league during the past 2 years in Finland... and I have to say that Kakko won that comparison hands down.

Kotkaniemi had a super start in Liiga last year, but he struggled over the better half of the season and faded with his team. I was very surprised he made the Montreal team in the 1st place - let alone did more than good job as their 3C. Clearly Kotkaniemi has matured, and he has super hockey IQ to make it in NHL... and he is so young. I could very well underestimate his ceiling.

Similarly young Kakko.... he has been consistent all year with TPS this regular season, in men's league. In the 1st round of Liiga playoffs Kakko seemed to be the only TPS player capable of elevating and carrying the team of seasoned players. Almost an embarrassment to TPS.

I may very well be wrong *again*, but based on what I've seen so far...

Both players have an upside to be elite players. But I would be less surprised if Kakko gets there.

Kotka is about agility and IQ. Kakko is a force and IQ. Both are fast enough.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
For what it's worth:

When I was 17-18 I was invited to a tryout for the New Jersey Rockin' Rollers. Really cool experience. They played in Continental Airlines Arena.

The head coach of the Rockin' Rollers for 2 seasons was Jack Hughes's father, Jim Hughes. Many Rockin' Roller events (i think they practiced there too) were held at South Mountain arena, the old Devils facility.

Jim Hughes has been a pro scout for some time (I believe with Toronto) and has connections with many NHL "families", including the Shero's and connections to North Jersey and the Devils organization.
He's from Hicksville, I play hockey with a few guys that played with the Dad.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Just for clarity's sake here and so I don't sound like a moron - is it pronounced "Cap-Oh" "Cack-Oh" or some other way?
0:06

As far as I can tell, it's "ah" for both the first and surname, but the single 'a' is shorter. So, 'aa' as in you just had something explained to you and understood it, and 'a' like you just stepped on a crab in the ocean. Or
like a British tomato then Cockatoo.

Edit: why is the rich text table editing so shit on this site?

IPAExamplesEnglish approximation
Vowe
ɑ pouta Like father, but shorter.
ɑː poutaa father
æ pöytä cat
æː päivää mad
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Such a Bull**** Bias Poll of course everyone is gonna say the name of the guy they know they’re getting . If this was done a day before the lottery would have been lopsided in Hughes favor .

True, but there are some of us who have been saying we’d rather have Kakko for at least a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad