Jack Eichel vs Patrik Laine

Which?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
How is the 80 goals and 150 points going for you? I saw Mario play up close and personal at Maple Leaf Gardens many many many times and I can assure you your man is nothing like the Big Mario. Get over yourselves. Laine is a ****ing plug, he skates nothing or plays like Mario!!!!!!
Laine is a plug?

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Eichel!!! Give him half the talent Laine has around him and he's likely a 90 pt guy.

You mean if Eichel had a player like Laine on his wing.

Laine has 15 more goals then the next highest scoring Jet yet he still the youngest player on the team. If I had a choice I'd always go for the elite C over a elite winger but Laine has finally figure out how to succeed in the NHL over the last 30 games or so and has moved into another level. He will not only win Rocket trophies in the future but he may win Art Ross and Hart trophies also. I would not of said this during the first half of the year but the kid has raised his game to another level.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Usually you take the center but the center is Eichel. a man, who has never scored 25 goals or 60 points in a season, the clear answer as of now is Laine, there is zero casefor Eichel

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
56 points in 81 games

nah has nothing to with being a jets fan
just how you manage your salary and you don't pay a kid 10 million who went 56 in 81 first season
and then played half a season the next year

hesbnot worth 10 milliom right now
and buffalo hasn't been doing a great job trying to rebuild

LOL, cool of you to only point out his reasonably well first year, but not his next two seasons going at near PPG pace.

And you DO give a SUPERSTAR with how the cap is going this kind of money, especially when he's going to be your franchise player, has ridiculous talent and we want to KEEP Him here and happy after all.

But keep posting about 56 in 81, and not 57 in 61 (after coming back from a sprained ankle) and leading the Sabres to the best powerplay in the league last year.

Or his 53 points, 40 of them even strength. (EVEN MORE THEN LAINE) and he's missed a quarter of the season. lol

Your post screams how much you watch Eichel.

Skill & attitude I would take Laine, only thing Eichel has over Laine is he plays C.

Laine, wishes he had half Eichel's playmaking ability, Eichel is also a better skater, has better vision, drives the play, has better transition zone rushes, I could go on but it'd be an endless list.

In reality, the only thing Laine has on Eichel is his shot. And Eichel's shot is sick too. So, this is pretty hilarious.

Usually you take the center but the center is Eichel. a man, who has never scored 25 goals or 60 points in a season, the clear answer as of now is Laine, there is zero casefor Eichel

There is ZERO case hey. Matthews has yet to score 70 points. Should I say there's no way to call him one of the top forwards in the game? See how unfair that would be?

The same way it is to pick numbers like "25" goals when he got just under that so far three times, and will more then likely score that this year, he only needs a couple....and 60 pts when he only played 61 games last year and STILL put up 57. A better PPG then Matthews too for reference. Oh and Eichel still averages 0.90 this year, what does Matthews average? Seems to me on a Leaf team that scored 60-70 goals more, Matthews should have a higher PPG then EIchel who there's supposedly "zero case" for.

If you bothered to watch him play you;d realized how unreal the guy is with absolutely nothing else around him, meanwhile Laine just coasts around a lot and gets overrated if anything due to his ability to snipe, and all the talent around him.

I guess you'll watch him play tomorrow. Willl be a new experience for you.

I don't know why I bother with people who have absolutely NO CLUE what they;re talking about.

Getting on a guys case in his third year after two seasons missing a quarter with a sprained ankle and has 127 points in his last 139 games on the lowest scoring team, for not puttig up 60 or 25 in those conditions is absolutely ridiculous and NITPICKING to its highest degree.

Last edited:

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
Laine, wishes he had half Eichel's playmaking ability, Eichel is also a better skater, has better vision, drives the play, has better transition zone rushes, I could go on but it'd be an endless list.

In reality, the only thing Laine has on Eichel is his shot. And Eichel's shot is sick too. So, this is pretty hilarious.

So you're saying that Laine has only slightly better shot and is worse in everything else, but still crushes Eichel in goals and GPG and beats him in points and PPG?

Do you explain all of that with Sabres being much worse than the Jets? Look at McDavid with Oilers. And then look at Laine's TOI and Eichel's TOI.

Maybe there's just something, you either can't admit or can't understand in Laines game..[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
LOL @ the person above saying if Eichel was such a great player, why would the Sabres be the lowest scoring team. I guess in Ovechkin's rookie year when he put up over 100 pts it was his fault for his team sucking in offense too, right? Damn OVI, he should of done more.

If Eichel in a few years, or even close to the age of Tavares is still on the lowest scoring team then that may hold more merit. Not much more, but more, he's just a kid after all.

Once MIttlestadt and one of Svech/Zadina/TKachuk -Dhalin/Boqvist/Bouchard-Dobson arrive and the Sabres hopefully get better goaltending from one of Ullmark, or UPL and have GAMES they can get up for that matter, and Eichel stays healthy...it's going to be interesting to see how many points he finishes with.

If Eichel was in the spot of Stastny, centering Ehlers and Laine on a team that scores and wins like the Jets. (And lets assume he's healthy) even in this his third season, He would be easily putting up 90 points. Hell, he's averaging 0.90 right now as it is on the Sabres with no help, coming off injuries.

Eichel's shot is extremely overrated tbh

How on earth is the "SHOT" of a player that never gets priase (for the talent he has) on a team no one watches possibly "overrated."

Because his shooting percentage is low? Due to how many scoring chances he gets. Due to how great of a player he is?

Watch his shot on the overtime goal in Nashville last season, not only skating through the entire Preds team before ripping it past this years Vezina winner in unbelievable fashion. One of the best shots/plays of the last two years highlighted even more by being an OT winner.

His shot is fine, no one is claiming its top ten or anything.

Laine's is better, there's no denying this.

Don't get me wrong, Eichel's shot may not be AMAZING but overrated is a funny word.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
LOL, cool of you to only point out his reasonably well first year, but not his next two seasons going at near PPG pace.

And you DO give a SUPERSTAR with how the cap is going this kind of money, especially when he's going to be your franchise player, has ridiculous talent and we want to KEEP Him here and happy after all.

But keep posting about 56 in 81, and not 57 in 61 (after coming back from a sprained ankle) and leading the Sabres to the best powerplay in the league last year.

Or his 53 points, 40 of them even strength. (EVEN MORE THEN LAINE) and he's missed a quarter of the season. lol

Your post screams how much you watch Eichel.

There is ZERO case hey. Matthews has yet to score 70 points. Should I say there's no way to call him one of the top forwards in the game? See how unfair that would be?

The same way it is to pick numbers like "25" goals when he got just under that so far three times, and will more then likely score that this year, he only needs a couple....and 60 pts when he only played 61 games last year and STILL put up 57. A better PPG then Matthews too for reference. Oh and Eichel still averages 0.90 this year, what does Matthews average? Seems to me on a Leaf team that scored 60-70 goals more, Matthews should have a higher PPG then EIchel who there's supposedly "zero case" for.

If you bothered to watch him play you;d realized how unreal the guy is with absolutely nothing else around him, meanwhile Laine just coasts around a lot and gets overrated if anything due to his ability to snipe, and all the talent around him.

I guess you'll watch him play tomorrow. Willl be a new experience for you.

I don't know why I bother with people who have absolutely NO CLUE what they;re talking about.

Getting on a guys case in his third year after two seasons missing a quarter with a sprained ankle and has 127 points in his last 139 games on the lowest scoring team, for not puttig up 60 or 25 in those conditions is absolutely ridiculous and NITPICKING to its highest degree.

2nd in the league for goals(1 behind ovechkin)
right now. that's all that needs to be said
until then. eichel needs to actually score more than 60 points instead of just telling me how can. I'm not saying he can't, but hasn't

laine has 2 60 point season already
36 goals his first year and now at 43 goals this year

79 goals in 2 season and his under 20

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Here's the deal though if both switched placed. Laine is a Sabre...with no making room for him, he scores goals, how many who knows but the Sabres get.

Eichel centers one of those top Jets lines? And plays for a team who has something to play for (playoffs) and has HELP with top forwards...then his curreent 0.90 pace probably goes to 1.10 and he gets 90 points a year.

Thus, Eichel IS more valuable.

2nd in the league for goals(1 behind ovechkin)
right now. that's all that needs to be said
until then. eichel needs to actually score more than 60 points instead of just telling me how can. I'm not saying he can't, but hasn't

laine has 2 60 point season already
36 goals his first year and now at 43 goals this year

79 goals in 2 season and his under 20

How many games have you watched Eichel Play?

Right because a sniper, scoring goals (tons on the powerplay) Eichel on a horrible team has more even strength points and has missed 15 games, that's funny...means more then a player who has 127 points in his last 139 games?

I guess to new or simple minded hockey fans.

Look at who Laine plays with and the team he's on too.

All people talk about is goals with Laine. There's a darn good reason for that, it's all he has. No point in discussing this with a guy who doesen't seem to get scoring 60 pts is kind of hard if you dont even play 60 games, (and he has gotten just under that mark, this is the third time in three years) or someone who I highly doubt has even seen him play 5-10 times.

Good day.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
How many games have you watched Eichel Play?

Right because a sniper, scoring goals (tons on the powerplay) Eichel on a horrible team has more even strength points and has missed 15 games, that's funny...means more then a player who has 127 points in his last 139 games?

I guess to new or simple minded hockey fans.

Look at who Laine plays with and the team he's on too.

All people talk about is goals with Laine. There's a darn good reason for that, it's all he has. No point in discussing this with a guy who doesen't seem to get scoring 60 pts is kind of hard if you dont even play 60 games, (and he has gotten just under that mark, this is the third time in three years) or someone who I highly doubt has even seen him play 5-10 times.

Good day.

so I have to watch eichel to talk real numbers?
your hypotheticals don't work in the real world

and no. people bring up his vision too
it just so happens hos goal scoring ability/shot is extraordinary
it's elite and arguably the best in the league
so it makes sense why it's the most often brought up

you're hating on laine because he's put up against your eichel who I actually wouldn't want on my team
he cost 10 million and scheifele costs 6. I'm happy that we don't have a centre who's injured that often plugging up that much salary cap space

you can find better centres for cheaper
mackinnon costs 6 million and is putting better numbers

mcdavid is the only player in the league right now worth that kind of money eichel is getting

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Scoring goals is pretty much the hardest thing to do in hockey. I will go with the guy that does that a LOT.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I have a feeling you were being sarcastic saying Laine will break that record of Gretzky, however in general it's comments like that which non Jets fans can't stand. Last season some Jets fans or his fans in Finland compared him to Mario Lemieux, so if anything comments like that make Laine to be hated by other fan bases and takes away from what he's already done.

Welcome to the life of every non-Leaf fan.

Furthermore, I wouldn’t let it bother me if I were you. Last year there were people comparing Matthews to McDavid, so it goes both ways.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I have a feeling you were being sarcastic saying Laine will break that record of Gretzky, however in general it's comments like that which non Jets fans can't stand. Last season some Jets fans or his fans in Finland compared him to Mario Lemieux, so if anything comments like that make Laine to be hated by other fan bases and takes away from what he's already done.

Some fans. What’s the issue with people saying his game resembles another player player? I have never heard someone on these boards say Laine is as good as or better than Lemiuex(I personally don’t see the entire comparison but I do get some of it), If I was going to use a comparison it would be a Ovechkin(weaker skater than Ovie but he has better overall shot tools than Ovie, atleast today). It’s very hipoctical as a Leaf fan to paint a brush on Laine off of a few random posters when Matthews is being portaited in the media as a top 5 player and just as good as McDavid and every team has a nut somewhere ready to post otrangrous things(as a Non-Leaf fan, it’s bad when the media is reporting more news articles a day than the 32 other teams in the league). I do not hate or dislike Matthews because of that as he’s not the one representing himself to be higher than he is(though he is a mighty fine hockey player). If you really hate Laine because a couple people said his game resembles Lemieuxs’s, I think that is the worst issue at hand(not the hypocritical thought, not the Toronto favoured media or your own fan bases “crazy biased fans”[though we all got them]).

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
To the guy above. LOL, because Laine has absolutely nothing on or like Lemieux.

And because Eichel and Matthews if anybody resemble Lemieux like dominance with the puck or skating.

And are both way, way ahead of Mr. "I'll score on the powerplay after all these stars are done passing to each other."

so I have to watch eichel to talk real numbers?
your hypotheticals don't work in the real world

and no. people bring up his vision too
it just so happens hos goal scoring ability/shot is extraordinary
it's elite and arguably the best in the league
so it makes sense why it's the most often brought up

you're hating on laine because he's put up against your eichel who I actually wouldn't want on my team
he cost 10 million and scheifele costs 6. I'm happy that we don't have a centre who's injured that often plugging up that much salary cap space

you can find better centres for cheaper
mackinnon costs 6 million and is putting better numbers

mcdavid is the only player in the league right now worth that kind of money eichel is getting

You're in a thread talking about who is a better hockey player Patrick Laine or Jack EIchel.

One scores goals on a stacked team that wins.

The other creates, scores, does everything for a team that always loses.

I would say you have to watch both to have a good idea, yes.

Dumbest question ever.

Thanks for telling me about how the REAL world works by the way, biased Jets fan who;s never watched Eichel play.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

And because Eichel and Matthews if anybody resemble Lemieux like dominance with the puck or skating.

And are both way, way ahead of Mr. "I'll score on the powerplay after all these stars are done passing to each other."

You're in a thread talking about who is a better hockey player Patrick Laine or Jack EIchel.

Dumbest question ever.

Thanks for telling me about how the REAL world works by the way, biased Jets fan who;s never watched Eichel play.

is the question who is better tho?
cuz eichel is obviously "better"
laine is still pretty raw which is crazy to think about considering the goals he's put up

ive watched highlights. but at the end of the day. it's the scoreboard and results that matters. not the hypothetical "what ifs"

you tell me eichel can go 82 for 82 and he never has so...

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

Dumbest question ever.

Good thing you know better, than those who played against Mario ;) can you tell us the next lotto numbers?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I give the edge to Eichel atm, but it's very close - surprisingly for a C vs. W comparison.

Laine is having a great year, and one can argue that the ability to stay healthy is a skill in itself. Can't fault Laine for staying healthy and producing. If Eichel has another injury-riddled year next year then my vote changes to Laine.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Laine is and will continue to be a better player. There's not a single argument in this thread for Eichel actually being a better player, just "he's on a bad team" and "well, he's a C".

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I give the edge to Eichel atm, but it's very close - surprisingly for a C vs. W comparison.

Laine is having a great year, and one can argue that the ability to stay healthy is a skill in itself. Can't fault Laine for staying healthy and producing. If Eichel has another injury-riddled year next year then my vote changes to Laine.

So your saying Laine is better than Matthews? :naughty:

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
People forget that Eichel legit went to a terrible team. The jets were gifted laine, they always had a good team that always choked and under achieved. When the jets got laine they alread had wheeler, schief, buff, Myers, ehlers, Connor, etc. They had a damn solid base that always under achieved. I put a lot of merit on what Eichel has been able to do On an inept franchise like buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad