Jack Eichel vs Patrik Laine

Which?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I'm going with Eichel on this. He's a centerman on a team in last place where he is the only offence. All plays go through him and he drives a line . When visiting teams gameplan for Buffalo they circle one name Eichel. Yet he's still producing.
Laine is an unbelievable talent just feel if rolls were reversed he wouldn't have the space he does now to be able to score the way he does.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
This is a pretty good poll, but I'm going with Laine. Smack talking & Matthews vs. Laine polls aside...........Laine is the real deal. And I think he's more dynamic and will have a better career than Eichel.

He could, but he;'s not more dynamic.

Eichel's way more diverse, and his skillset is WAY more rounded then Laine. Wondering why you think this? Don't get me wrong, I see Laine as the real deal but to say dynamic, that to me means can some at you in a variety of ways, has more attributes. But anyone who watches both guys knows who has more attributes in high regard. Say Laine is better all you want and Even though I believe tha'ts wrong I wouldn't argue it. But to say Laine has more skillsets is plain wrong all over and shows the ignorance (ignoring, not arrogance, people confuse the word ignorance for arrogance) being applied to JE here.

And this Laine is the real deal, yeah he's scoring lots of goals on a team that scores lots of goals and is great, and not taking that away from him but to say he's the real deal as if Eichel isn't is pretty funny.

You say he'll have the better career, well he's started off on polar opposites team wise so that coul dbe true, success wise.

But it's early and so far EIchel has produced more points per game then Laine in both last season and this season (which stands out more as he was coming back from a sprained ankle last year) ...

Once Eichel finishes a full season I just think we'll see just how far they are or hwo close they are, bit I guarantee if EIchel plays a full year Laine will not out score Eichel EVER in his career by more then ten points. Not ever. Even with the teams they're both on.

Eichel just drives that much offense, and if he can on this Sabres team, he surely will when they get better (cant get worse) and he hits his prime. But Laine also could improve too but we are already seeing the apex of the Jets. We haven't seen the counterparts team hit anything close to a positve, impactful stride that when one day hopefully comes will spell out elite offensvie seasons.

Considering all the hype, being giving everything in Buffalo, etc.....I'm still waiting for Jack to prove he's the real deal. So far not exactly super impressed with what he's done. He will tease you with potential but doesn't keep it up.

Honestly, I believe this to be the exact opposite. If anything it's PRODUCTION and NO HYPE when it comes to Eichel. If EIchel gets talked about (which is not even close to the other big young stars) it's for a darn good reason. He drives the play, every game is a top 3 player on either team for the most part and he's just good at everything. If not great. Even his backchecking has improved, if not for the team, linemates, and other things (No Goaltending, Defense) his Plus.Minus among other stats improve drastically.

His production is outstanding.

131 pts in his last 143 games isn't KEEPING it up, or IMPRESSIVE on a team that's last in goals for, returning from injuries with linemates of Girgensens and Pominville. (Who the latter is washed up)

I get what you mean but he hasn't had the chance to play a full season yet from two freak injuries, but it's not like he's isn't producing at high levels given what's provided for him.

Seriously some of the comments here and I've repeated this seriously show the lack of understanding of Jack Eichel. I am starting to honestly consider he is seen only by Sabres fans at this point.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Whoever voted Laine, I ask you this.

Hypothetical Question here:

If this season they switched place.

If the lines are On Buffalo and WInnipeg this year....

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Eichel Perrault

And now Eichel gets everything Laine got so less ice time but Eichel now goes on the PP's that Jets give him and now plays with high end offensive talent, who are a fast and high offensive team with meaningful games to play motivating him more.

Meanwhile Laine takes Eichel;s place on Buffalo, last place team in standings and goals for.

Laine is now centered by Zemges Girgensons and Jason Pominville on the other wing. Laine gets Eichel;s ice-time and plays for the Sabres who don't score and a bad PP< with awful goaltending, defense, new coach, team that has hard time winning or anything to play for.

Laine ALSO only gets to play the amount of games Eichel played last year and this year.

Okay so now.

WIth those two situations.

What happens? Are you suggesting Eichel doesen't so as good? He by all means should do better in that environment.

But what about Laine? Does he producde the same, as a sniper you need good playmakers creating room, especially on the PP where a large number of his pts come from.

Does Laine do as good? I don't know.

Then there's the whole Center vs WING thing.

So taking this situation into context, can you see who would likely be more valuable ?

I can.

But even as it stands now in real life, in these opposite situations, EICHEL STILL averages a higher PPG in the past two seasons Laine has played do on a role reversal which would steer both mens directions further I do believe, should more-so show the better player.

I mean it's hypothetical so.... not concrete, just mere speculation so I can't conclusively say who'd be better but again I have a pretty strong idea backed by the logistics of the situation presented.

That's great to hear that you are happy with the pick and you should be. I've seen some games yes as I follow up on Ristolainen time to time so it's pretty difficult not paying attention to Eichel on the process.

I absolutely take in count everything when evaluation or comparing players. Starting from ice time to line mates and then of course age. I've read a few of your posts where you ignore the age difference entirely and that's not the proper way of comparing two young kids. Just like it would be unfair to compare Laine's 17-18 season to lets say Rantanen's 17-18 season, because they are year apart from one another. You can just look what they accomplished at what age. So if one thinks the two are close to one another right now, it's the next year of Laine that should be compared to Eichel's 17-18 as opposed to looking at Eichel and Laine today. If you take Eichel's two first seasons, then look at Laine's two first seasons, I just don't see it particularly close.

Also it's quite correct that one plays in a powerhouse and the other in a bottom feeder. However it's incorrect to claim that Laine would somehow have an insane benefit from the deep Jets roster. He's not playing in the first line that gets the minutes and the only times he's getting any advantage from Scheifele or Wheelers is on the powerplay. Where as the Sabres are build around Eichel. I cannot but imagine if the Jets already built around Laine instead of Scheifele/Wheeler. There's little to no doubt in my mind he would be a PPG+ player and possibly even already competing with the very best players in the league in total production (imagine a line of Laine - Scheifele - Wheelers for instance). But no, he was kept at the bay with minimal/average ice time and had a center he had absolutely zero chemistry with and one that isn't exactly known for his excellent playmaking abilities (just look at Little's assist totals from the past seasons even when he played in the first line). I think the fact of one playing 20+ minutes compared to other's 16+ minutes on average, more than compensates any difference created by the team disadvantage.

Laine isn't just a sniper. He has terrific hockey IQ and vision and I've said it many times over that it's his hockey IQ that has enabled him to have the early success in his career, despite of lots of fans who only see him as the shooter. No player could achieve anything of this magnitude (at every level he has ever played at) if he was only equipped with similar scoring arsenal. This kid hasn't even fully grown into his 6"5 frame just yet, but once he does, he will set the league on fire. His resume speaks on his own behalf, all the way from FEL to international ice and finally the NHL. No one has anything similar in their pockets. Laine's success at all of the three mentioned (FEL, international and NHL) has been historical, and he has yet but to scratch the surface. So no, I would not look back on that decision.

Eichel is a different type of player relying on different strengths and great by his own right, but so far looking at age to age achievements in hockey I don't see him being on the same level. Will it remain that way? I don't have the crystal ball to make bold statement there. Anyway, both of them are future faces of the NHL and I'm sure any team would give king's ransoms just to get even one of them.

It is close.

Fair post, I can see your points.

They are totally different players on totally different teams.

I think with Laine's production and the lack of coverage majority get to Eichel (not helped by last placed team or injuries) but we'd be talking about a 75 pt season last year and possibly 85-90 this year if he didn't miss.

had he reached those the results would be different in how see both guys.

So far Matthews this season is having the exact season Eichel had last year in his 2nd season. Same PPG, almost identical.

Matthews may be better defensively and play a few minutes less a game, but has more offensive talent on his team also (and a team that has more to play for and scores more) while Eichel team has next to no motivation and while he averages a few more minutes then Matthews, Eichel has to go up against ALL the best forward checkers (shutdown lines) and best defenders.

This is where LAINE and Matthews have an easier advantage in this regard. Both these teams can roll different Leafs and Jets lines against top defenders, where-as On Buffalo it's THE ROR against maybe the top scorers, but the best two way guys, shutdown players (two way centres) and best defenders play against Eichel.

Meanwhile Laine gets tons of PP points with some amazing gifted offensive players. I'm not trying to say it's just his SHOT, I just mean that's the most noticeable differenceand asset he has..., he's also got a great skillset, his EIchel also has (obviously) an amazing Hockey IQ, he's a better skater, and overall the atrributes favour Eichel if we're going to comopare the 20-25 most important traits a forward should have.

Eichel has 46 EVEN Strength points this year in just 63 games! Not only that but 44 of the 62 pts he's scored this year in just 63 games have been PRIMARY points.

It's just a lot of things back and forth for both guys you can say.

There's arguments to be made for both, they;re in the same tier.

I just think if Buffalo got better and EIchel played at least the amount Laine plays which is around 75ish games on average, we'd see way more from EIchel, but the point is what we're seeing already especially given the circumstances is mega impressive.

That being said I enjoy both guys a great deal and think they will be two of the most important forwards each and every year for the next 15 seasons.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Another impressive thing is that Eichel has more assists then Laine this year. How is that even possible when PAtrick's got that POWERPLAY t(take your pick of stars) to work with and then Ehlers and Stastny when not. While Eichel missed a quarter of the year, and literally no one else on his line who scores (Pominville got all his goals early, he had 7 in the first 4-5 games and that wasn't even with EIchel).

Remember, EIchel has 46 EVEN STRENGTH points this year, out of his 62 pts in just 63 games.

And then elluding to what I said above, put EIchel on that 2nd Jets line and on the JETS PP, Put Laine on the wing to Girgensons (who is a center as well) and Pominville, It would be likely Laine gets less, and Eichel gets even more. Especially paying for that fun, highly energized, offensively octaned team entering the playoffs. His moral would be higher, it would be insane.

And if Eichel can average more points last year and this year with how it currently is, then what if the situations were switched?

So now I ask... who's REALLY more valuable of a player?

It's pretty obvious. I'm glad this poll is evening out even though if it wasn't for LAine's incredible month of scoring goals it would be a little bit in the other way. I didn't see anyone around January or even December put Laine ahead of Eichel unless they were a Jets fan on the main boards. And coincidentally this was also when Eichel went out due to injury. One guy scoring every night, the other never to be heard from on a bad team he wasn't even playing for. Which is why I thought this was a "FUNNY" or convenient time to start this poll.

Last edited:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Another impressive thing is that Eichel has more assists then Laine this year. How is that even possible when PAtrick's got that POWERPLAY t(take your pick of stars) to work with and then Ehlers and Stastny when not. While Eichel missed a quarter of the year, and literally no one else on his line who scores (Pominville got all his goals early, he had 7 in the first 4-5 games and that wasn't even with EIchel).

Remember, EIchel has over 40 EVEN STRENGTH points this year, (I believe 43 or 44?) out of his 57 pts in just 62 games.

And then elluding to what I said above, put EIchel on that 2nd Jets line and on the JETS PP, Put Laine on the wing to Girgensons (who is a center as well) and Pominville, It would be likely Laine gets less, and Eichel gets even more. Especially paying for that fun team entering the playoffs. His moral would be higher, it would be insane.

And if Eichel can average more points last year and this year with how it currently is, then what if the situations were switched?

So now I ask... who's REALLY more valuable of a player?

It's pretty obvious. I'm glad this poll is evening out even though if it wasn't for LAine's incredible month of scoring goals it would be a little bit in the other way. I didn't see anyone around January or even December put Laine ahead of Eichel unless they were a Jets fan on the main boards. And coincidentally this was also when Eichel went out due to injury. One guy scoring every night, the other never to be heard from on a bad team he wasn't even playing for. Which is why I thought this was a "FUNNY" or convenient time to start this poll.

Careful, a bunch of people don't care about ES production and believe it to be inferior for whatever reason.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Matthews haters or Jets/Laine fans? lol

I'd add McDavid non believers in the category too.

Personally, I think a points a point, but Even Strength carries just a little more weight because it's more likely to predict (because it takes place more than penalty time) but also more impressive because less likely to occur (you should be able to convert on a powerplay).

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I'd add McDavid non believers in the category too.

Personally, I think a points a point, but Even Strength carries just a little more weight because it's more likely to predict (because it takes place more than penalty time) but also more impressive because less likely to occur (you should be able to convert on a powerplay).

Primary points carry more weight too.

Especially on SOME plays.

I get somewhat sick when a player I dislike gets a secondary assist on an empty netter or a garbage goal.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think it's Eichel but I need to see him stay healthy and produce at the pace he's been doing he last 2 years over a full season.

He really drives play. From what I've seen, he has to be the guy on the entry, the primary passer and/or finisher if they're gonna score

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Scoreboard watching, oh look the Jets have scored a bunch of goals and LAINE doesent have to be part of it...AGAIN.

& Eichel another multi point game.

Edit- Make that a 5 pt game. LOL

I think it's Eichel but I need to see him stay healthy and produce at the pace he's been doing he last 2 years over a full season.

He really drives play. From what I've seen, he has to be the guy on the entry, the primary passer and/or finisher if they're gonna score

Definitely is/does. Your correct. Both his injuries were freak occurrences too, only injuries of not only his career, his whole life. It's just a coincidence they were both ankle sprains.

And producing over a 82 game season consistently shouldn't be a problem as again, 137 pts in his last 145 games.

SO going back he has done that if you want to look at it that far, or 119 pts in his last 124 games. (This season and last) and this years not done.

Once mittlestadt gets settled in and hopefully we graduate more prospects, and if we can land Dhalin or Svechnikov, he would be deadly with EIch.

All Eichel needs is that PP Quarterback or just a strong D-Man to help when he's not on the ice or to assist him more and boom, his production gets even better.

I have no doubts he will be even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiasAndersson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad