Player Discussion Jack Eichel - Switching from #15 to #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
And I'd much rather pay 10.5-11.5 next year if he does score 90. If he put up 65-70 then he isn't getting close to that. We hold all the cards. What, he just going to sign QOs for the next 4 years because he's mad? I'm one of the ultimate "lol because Buffalo" type people and I have absolutely zero worries about losing Eichel. The only thing this will end with is Eichel signing an 8 year deal. Be it contract offer, matched offer sheet, the only way he can leave is by only signing one year QOs and he isn't doing that for 4 years passing up tens of millions.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, I prefer the risk of having to match his hypothetical offer sheet next summer to giving him offer sheet value today.

If it gets done this summer, great. If not, then we'll take real market value, which is fine.

There's a low probability that he pots 100 points and we end up paying $14M, but even in that world, I'm ok. Not to mention that's a very low probability world, IMO.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
What particular issue do you have with him?
Batting into the negatives on rumor mongering while somehow sustaining a generally insufferable attitude of "I am a chosen gatekeeper of knowledge."

My last straw was when he launched into "ethics in sports journalism" screeds and tweeted a bunch of cryptic "problems in Sabre land" **** because he got scooped by a radio DJ on the Botts hire.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Can't imagine what the problem could be, at least from the sabres side. Hopefully the holdup is over money and not term.
You have to think at this point it was something Tim Murray said to Jack before he was fired.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
You have to think at this point it was something Tim Murray said to Jack before he was fired.

Come on, guys. You know Jack's holding out because he's dismayed at Robin Lehner's movement in his butterfly.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It's more about Reinhart getting fat that has him on his way out of town ASAP.

Reasons Jack hasn't signed yet:

- Not enough money
- Too much money?
- Botterill: head too big?
- Lehner in the SO
- Reinhart's baby fat
- Can't read Risto's advanced stats
- Everyone else: head too small?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Reasons Jack hasn't signed yet:

- Not enough money
- Too much money?
- Botterill: head too big?
- Lehner in the SO
- Reinhart's baby fat
- Can't read Risto's advanced stats
- Everyone else: head too small?
Tim Murray screwed up Cal Petersen.

Colin White is a Senator.

Ivan Barbashev.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Girgensons signed a new contract, he's the one that injured Jack. It's obvious Girgs has it out for Jack and is ready to finish the job this year, to get back in the hunt for the center position that he unfairly lost. HE was supposed to be one of the FUTURE CORE guys since he was drafted by Darcy and this team was going to build around him.

Jack knows what's up, and doesn't want to sign a contract until he's gone.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

"If you pause it right here you can see the exact moment Jack Eichel decided not to re-sign in Buffalo."

All joking aside the real reason is more than likely Jack is probably just sick of trying to remember what system he has to play for each of his goaltenders.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Different goalie systems

Tim Murray's fault

:biglaugh:

Awesome....

Weeks later, i still think the end result will be 8 years .... at 9 to 10 mil. per will get it done.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
All joking aside the real reason is more than likely Jack is probably just sick of trying to remember what system he has to play for each of his goaltenders.

You're trying too hard. Your insecurity is showing.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I thought this was supposed to be #1 on the to-do list for this summer??

I just can't see a situation where something in the 8.5-10.5 x 8 year deal couldn't be agreed on. Is he not already the best player on his team? Is Eich's camp seriously asking for 11+? Let's be real...

Bottsy did establish though that he is willing to let players prove their worth with Reinhart though, and I really would love if the Sabres had to give Eich 10-11 mil if he goes 80-90 points

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I just can't see a situation where something in the 8.5-10.5 x 8 year deal couldn't be agreed on. Is he not already the best player on his team? Is Eich's camp seriously asking for 11+? Let's be real...

Maybe Eichel doesn't want to do 8 years.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I see it as Eichel betting on himself, no problem with that. Why take $9m-10 when he could get 10.5-11.5 next summer after he drops 90+ :)

This is what i am thinking too. If Botterill doesn't (and shouldn't) pay big for potential, then Eichel might be hoping to go gangbusters on the year, put up big numbers, and get a big pay day.

I am fine with this, so long as we get him signed for 8 years by the end of it all.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Not nervous about signing Jack at some point, but I really thought this would be done already. There is very little risk for the Sabres letting him play out the year.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Botts really has no power here. Eichel has many reasons to believe he will gain 1-2 million a year if he waits, with only a career-ending injury getting in the way of that, and those are really rare. Can't say I'm surprised. As a team fan, I just hope his number doesn't hinder the rest of the roster.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Botts really has no power here. Eichel has many reasons to believe he will gain 1-2 million a year if he waits, with only a career-ending injury getting in the way of that, and those are really rare. Can't say I'm surprised. As a team fan, I just hope his number doesn't hinder the rest of the roster.

If he earns that extra 1-2 million, I think his impact outweighs the cost.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

To say the GM has no power makes no sense to me.

As a rookie GM, Botts is certainly in a tough spot with Eichel. But, he has plenty of say in this situation.

If he didn't, the deal would be signed by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad