Confirmed with Link: Jack Campbell signs with Edmonton (5 years, $5 million AAV)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Exactly. Skinner gets help from the fact that there were no big expectations. Talbot started to struggle more and more when the emphasis (goals at first shot etc.) really turned to him. Koskinen was doing well at first, maybe as he came in as a backup and things were rolling well enough. You guys know more about this than I do, but this is the feeling I've got.
You only have to look at this thread to see how hyper critical we are of goalies so quickly. Its a sport here, and its always open season.

What goalies have we had that escaped immense criticism here? Its a non existent list. Even Roloson was highly critiqued here. Talbot was slammed here incessantly. The best goalie we've had in a dozen years.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
How serious are the rumours of Campbell going to the AHL for a conditioning stint?

sounds like a good idea.
Slim to none I suspect.

So you send him down with the fragile mental state to his game he currently has and maybe he hasn’t hit bottom yet. So then he bottoms out while in the AHL? How will that help him improve his mental well being for playing in the NHL?

He will work on this problem at the NHL level and if the experiment fails, then in the off season he will be traded or bought out.

He’s ours and in the NHL at least until the end of the season.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Slim to none I suspect.

So you send him down with the fragile mental state to his game he currently has and maybe he hasn’t hit bottom yet. So then he bottoms out while in the AHL? How will that help him improve his mental well being for playing in the NHL?

He will work on this problem at the NHL level and if the experiment fails, then in the off season he will be traded or bought out.

I agree, but it wouldn’t be the first time Campbell went “down a level” to work on his (mental) game.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You only have to look at this thread to see how hyper critical we are of goalies so quickly. Its a sport here, and its always open season.

What goalies have we had that escaped immense criticism here? Its a non existent list. Even Roloson was highly critiqued here. Talbot was slammed here incessantly. The best goalie we've had in a dozen years.
We all know that fans slamming Oiler goalies and running them out of town is a time honoured tradition in Edmonton. Grant Fuhr still has the marks from when he was the resident whipping boy. 🙃

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003

quotes Friedman speculating and Servailli also mentioned it yesterday on some podcast I can't find a link too. just a rumour, im just asking how serious this could be.
No chance.
Holland doesn't have the gonads.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
I do miss how Mike Smith would make me laugh... I liked his opening faceoff skate he'd do around the boards... When he let in a terrible shot it was upsetting but ended up becoming almost comedic.

When soup let's that stuff in it's like I can feel his self-criticism through the tv and just bums me out. Koskinen was sort of the same way... But his body language seemed similar to someone who works two full- time jobs and still gets shit on at home by wife, kids...dog .

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
There is zero justification to NOT send Campbell to the AHL. He should be waived immediately

Slim to none I suspect.

It worked in LA

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I wanted to just gamble on skinner and some other guy and save $5 million for D and Forward depth.
me too ;(

But it would have been a huge risk. Easier decision to make as a fan but if it was my job on the line I probably sign an expensive goalie.

Not having a hard nosed defensive defenseman is our biggest problem by far imo

Reactions: Porkleaker

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You were saying????

So I'm waiting on your framed post? You were gonna bring it up over and over and I've yet to even see it once
Still over four and a half seasons left ;)

But glad you have nothing better going in your life than this to give you something to be happy about :snow:

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
We all know that fans slamming Oiler goalies and running them out of town is a time honoured tradition in Edmonton. Grant Fuhr still has the marks from when he was the resident whipping boy. 🙃
I did enjoy when Dubnyk was a Vezina finalist a year after leaving the Oilers as well.

My issue with our goaltending has, I felt, largely been the team in front of the goalie.

That said I think Jack has struggled and I'm sure he doesn't need me telling him that. Hope he can sort things out because it'd def help the team!

<3 to Jack! And some <3 for Skinner as well while I'm at it :D

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I did enjoy when Dubnyk was a Vezina finalist a year after leaving the Oilers as well.

My issue with our goaltending has, I felt, largely been the team in front of the goalie.

That said I think Jack has struggled and I'm sure he doesn't need me telling him that. Hope he can sort things out because it'd def help the team!

<3 to Jack! And some <3 for Skinner as well while I'm at it :D
True the defence is built for a Roy kind of ogoalie. He real work horse. With such many rookies and iffensive happy guys - the goalie needs to be a standing on his head type of goalie.
Campbell seema to be that solud goalie if he got som friends around him. Here in oklers he better be prepared for some 2- 1 and 3-2.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Holland: "Gave Jack a week off to work on his game with Schwartz before the Predators game"

Oh well no wonder nothings improved.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Thanks for this update. Jack's only a $5 million dollar guy but can't but think of this ;)

I'm curious to see how the new equipment works. Apparently there's a full makeover happening with larger, modern chest protector; a new trapper with tight lacing; and now come the pads. Something I didn't like about Campbell's cross crease movement is that his old pads seemed really slick and seemingly sliding him somewhat out of position - a split second to get upfront and set positionally.

Hopefully the new equipment takes. Goaltending is such a difficult position requiring incredible mental strength, resiliency and grit. This team is giving a lot of runway to rebuild a big investment in this critical position. Massively grateful that Skinner has stepped up above and beyond to give the team in front simple, confident and capable net minding.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
And I got flamed for suggesting a 4M AAV for this clown. Some random thought he was justified to make more than Koskinen..

giphy.gif

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Goalies are voodoo.

2020-21 GSAA Leaders:
#6 Alex Nedeljkovic 9.6
#7 Jack Campbell 8.4
#8 Petr Mrazek 7.1
#9 Thatcher Demko 6.8

2022-23 GSAA Leaders:
#76 Petr Mrazek -10.9
#77 Alex Nedeljkovic -11. 1
#78 Jack Campbell -11.1
#79 Thatcher Demko -11.2

If I told you two years ago that I come from the future and we have signed Campbell for 5x5 and he is playing as well as Mrazek, Nedeljkovic and Demko. I'm sure you would be quite happy.

What a statistical oddity. I wonder if these guys train together in the offseason.

Stats from moneypuck.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I wanted to just gamble on skinner and some other guy and save $5 million for D and Forward depth.
I think that would have been a really poor idea, mainly because you're then pinning the hopes of the team, and focusing all the insanely toxic fans on a rookie kid with a handful of games under his belt.

Even if you think he's going to be your future guy, it still seems like a really poor way to bring him along in his development. He struggles at all this season and literally everyone turns on him.

Hell, he's been a saving grace for the team this year and people still jump all over him if he has a bad game or lets in a bad goal. Imagine if he WAS the safety net.

Reactions: TB12 and McTonyBrar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad