Confirmed with Link: Jack Campbell signs with Edmonton (5 years, $5 million AAV)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They are limiting the shots is what I meant. The goalies are not facing 40 plus shots each game

Campbell is horrible end of story. Any decent goaltender and we have way more wins
more like Campbell has been horrible, end of story. If you think that Campbell is incapable of being better you will be wrong.

Admittedly part of that is that it's almost impossible that he could be worse, lol

Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Correct, unless he has a no movement clause which he does, but it's modified ine so there is some outs obviously we dont no those details

I’m pretty sure it’s a modified no trade clause (10 team list he won’t be traded to). I don’t know if that means he can’t be waived, an NMC you can’t for sure

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I’m pretty sure it’s a modified no trade clause (10 team list he won’t be traded to). I don’t know if that means he can’t be waived, an NMC you can’t for sure
for sure if it's just a NTC he can be sent down. That's the only difference between a NTC and NMC

Reactions: Oilhawks

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
The Oilers outlcassed Chicago in that game. Chicago made it interesting by the end, which really might have been the result of tiredness of the schedule seeping in, mixed in with luck. I still consider that Chicago game to be a good example that the Oilers are turning the season around. The big thing is that the Oilers are controlling the play including shots and chances. However, in Minny it didn't go that way at all. The fact that it was the last half of the third period where the Oilers fell apart kind of lumps that in with the Minny game.

Good post. They had played well the previous few games too. Fixed a lot of the problems that were apparent all season.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It's not the goalie coach. It's the fact we have not had a quality goalie here since Roloson.
Dubnuk was up for a vezna and at one point was one of the best starters in the league for a stretch.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
It's not the goalie coach. It's the fact we have not had a quality goalie here since Roloson.
Tbh other then the 06 run, roloson was average at best. We haven't had a true number 1 since Cujo. Amd I was a big Salo fan.....

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Could it be part of the problem is the huge pressure towards goalies in Edmonton combined with lack of ideal defense? Fans and media are enthusiastic and maybe playing with two of the best players in the world gives extra pressure when things start to go wrong. Local media can also be really harsh and I felt at times things were made difficult for Koskinen but also Talbot. Maybe they weren't able to handle that well enough.

It takes a mentally strong goalie to handle that pressure and maybe the Oilers' choices haven't been optimal in that regard. Another option is to start strongly and/or have no big expectations towards you, which is what Skinner is doing now. I hope he'll do well, but it'll be interesting to see how he manages to handle possible difficult times. I believe that reaction from all sides would be milder in his case, which would help him.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
more like Campbell has been horrible, end of story. If you think that Campbell is incapable of being better you will be wrong.

Admittedly part of that is that it's almost impossible that he could be worse, lol
Agreed. Like your user name. Guess I’m just positive and hopeful. But I know he sucks

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I know this sounds stupid, but he is such a uneven, unconsistent goalie, why sign him 5 years??
And I like him as a person makes this sad to saty.
Maybe just bite the bullet and buy him out in summer. In this age, goalies is what they are. Why wait. Remember Koskinen. All fans just waited out the last two years on his contract.

Reactions: MessierII

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Seriously? Who's saying it?
Ritch, I’ve heard it spoke about as an option on pods like Bob McCown/John Shannon, Wilkins and Brown have mentioned it, its been brought up on Stauffers propaganda machine too. Might have also been on Mareks, and Ray and Dregs too but I don’t recall.

But most importantly, I don’t think any of these pundits/experts are advocating to do it more so because of the organizational reputation issues it would create and belief that it’s effectiveness in fixing Jack’s confidence issues is wanting, versus it can’t be done for contractual reasons. I gather they universally understand it’s a lever that could be used contractually, but there’s just no appetite to do so for these and probably other reasons.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Ritch, I’ve heard it spoke about as an option on pods like Bob McCown/John Shannon, Wilkins and Brown have mentioned it, its been brought up on Stauffers propaganda machine too. Might have also been on Mareks, and Ray and Dregs too but I don’t recall.

But most importantly, I don’t think any of these pundits/experts are advocating to do it more so because of the organizational reputation issues it would create and belief that it’s effectiveness in fixing Jack’s confidence issues is wanting, versus it can’t be done for contractual reasons. I gather they universally understand it’s a lever that could be used contractually, but there’s just no appetite to do so for these and probably other reasons.
Ah, so more speculation than anything.

I really wonder if Smith still has the fire to play, which I bet he does. I could see him being cleared to play in the new year and coming back to save the season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ah, so more speculation than anything.

I really wonder if Smith still has the fire to play, which I bet he does. I could see him being cleared to play in the new year and coming back to save the season.

He would have to be training like a beast starting at least the past 2 months and on the ice taking shots right now for that to happen and we don’t have the cap space to activate him off LTIR. Ain’t happening.

Campbell needs to find his game. It’s that simple.

Reactions: brentashton

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Could you imagine THAT wwe style walk-out onto the ice haha I'm not going to lie I would be pumped.

CBB9F7CE-606E-468C-9F92-3F484409ECE5.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Leonardlizard

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He would have to be training like a beast starting at least the past 2 months and on the ice taking shots right now for that to happen and we don’t have the cap space to activate him off LTIR. Ain’t happening.

Campbell needs to find his game. It’s that simple.

I thought I tasted piss in my cornflakes this morning :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Could it be part of the problem is the huge pressure towards goalies in Edmonton combined with lack of ideal defense? Fans and media are enthusiastic and maybe playing with two of the best players in the world gives extra pressure when things start to go wrong. Local media can also be really harsh and I felt at times things were made difficult for Koskinen but also Talbot. Maybe they weren't able to handle that well enough.

It takes a mentally strong goalie to handle that pressure and maybe the Oilers' choices haven't been optimal in that regard. Another option is to start strongly and/or have no big expectations towards you, which is what Skinner is doing now. I hope he'll do well, but it'll be interesting to see how he manages to handle possible difficult times. I believe that reaction from all sides would be milder in his case, which would help him.
I think it possible that the fishbowl Canadian surroundings can impact all goalies in present day. Winnipeg is a sleepy and smallest Canadian market. Hellbuck has done OK there but what other Canadian club has seen sustained good goaltending? i think the pressure is more immense to perform here and in the uber critical position of goaltending the scrutiny ends up being too much. Its into the fire and frying pan every night if you're a goalie for a Canadian based team.

Our GA is high because our team D and our pk is miserable. Even with Skinner in who has been good to adequate our GA is still not great considering usage.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I know this sounds stupid, but he is such a uneven, unconsistent goalie, why sign him 5 years??
And I like him as a person makes this sad to saty.
Maybe just bite the bullet and buy him out in summer. In this age, goalies is what they are. Why wait. Remember Koskinen. All fans just waited out the last two years on his contract.
Koskinen was an average goalie who always haf a sv% of .900 or more in the Oilers. He was paid a bit too much, but otherwise quite alright.

What bothers me is he had some strong games at the end of his season and was excellent in the one playoff game he got to play in, but the Oilers went till the bitter end with failing Smith. While it's unlikely it'd changed the outcome you never know, now it felt like the team purposely decided to go with the cold goalie.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I think it possible that the fishbowl Canadian surroundings can impact all goalies in present day. Winnipeg is a sleepy and smallest Canadian market. Hellbuck has done OK there but what other Canadian club has seen sustained good goaltending? i think the pressure is more immense to perform here and in the uber critical position of goaltending the scrutiny ends up being too much. Its into the fire and frying pan every night if you're a goalie for a Canadian based team.

Our GA is high because our team D and our pk is miserable. Even with Skinner in who has been good to adequate our GA is still high.
Exactly. Skinner gets help from the fact that there were no big expectations. Talbot started to struggle more and more when the emphasis (goals at first shot etc.) really turned to him. Koskinen was doing well at first, maybe as he came in as a backup and things were rolling well enough. You guys know more about this than I do, but this is the feeling I've got.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Reactions: Harry Curry

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The 5 year term always made me go "hmmm", like Holland is too nice to negotiate hard.

But that that point Toronto was out on Campbell, and it looked like Washington was leaning hard on Kuemper ... not sure why we didn't just say 5x3 ... take it or leave it Campbell.

Who else was even going to pay him that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad