Confirmed with Link: Jack Campbell signs with Edmonton (5 years, $5 million AAV)

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Lol I my first post on this forum was after we signed Campbell, it was about Oilers nation complaining too much about it and other things. So far I was very wrong haha I will eat crow. The contract is looking pretty bad.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Was worried based on his leafs action, but now it's just not good. There wasn't much left again, but would have been better keeping Kostco

Reactions: Whyme

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Im not even mad anymore at Campbell, I just feel sorry and sad for him. Given his mental health struggles, I guarantee he is having rough time right now and he won't recover if with everyone and their dog getting being angry and writing articles about him. Hes with us for 5 years, we might as well embrace and try to intergarre him, I think the AHL is the best step for right now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Im not even mad anymore at Campbell, I just feel sorry and sad for him. Given his mental health struggles, I guarantee he is having rough time right now and he won't recover if with everyone and their dog getting being angry and writing articles about him. Hes with us for 5 years, we might as well embrace and try to intergarre him, I think the AHL is the best step for right now.
I don't mind him as backup. He wasn't even bad last game. Like with a lot of issues with team, adding a good defensive D or other team upgrades may be just the thing to turn Campbell around. Very often teams with good performing goalies continue with good goalie stats even with a new third stringer jumps in

Plus who replaces him? Is it wise to throw Rodrigue in? Is Pickard up to it? I don't see much from his ahl time

• Haha
Reactions: Zur En Arrh

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016

Not to be too critical, but if blaming the equipment is where our goaltending staff is going with this we are in trouble. Soft pads are not making Campbell slide out of position on every shot. He's never square and dropping into a save. He slides on nearly every shot. That's what I see anyways. He's super explosive side to side. He moves really well. But he just keeps sliding. He doesn't push over or slide over and then stop to square up and make the save. He slides past square. And since he's sliding he loses his hands so he loses hand positioning and wiffs on fairly routine blocker and catcher saves.

Thanks for this update. Jack's only a $5 million dollar guy but can't but think of this ;)

I'm curious to see how the new equipment works. Apparently there's a full makeover happening with larger, modern chest protector; a new trapper with tight lacing; and now come the pads. Something I didn't like about Campbell's cross crease movement is that his old pads seemed really slick and seemingly sliding him somewhat out of position - a split second to get upfront and set positionally.

Hopefully the new equipment takes. Goaltending is such a difficult position requiring incredible mental strength, resiliency and grit. This team is giving a lot of runway to rebuild a big investment in this critical position. Massively grateful that Skinner has stepped up above and beyond to give the team in front simple, confident and capable net minding.

I just posted the same type of analysis. Good to see I'm not the only one who sees him sliding out of position all the time.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Not to be too critical, but if blaming the equipment is where our goaltending staff is going with this we are in trouble. Soft pads are not making Campbell slide out of position on every shot. He's never square and dropping into a save. He slides on nearly every shot. That's what I see anyways. He's super explosive side to side. He moves really well. But he just keeps sliding. He doesn't push over or slide over and then stop to square up and make the save. He slides past square. And since he's sliding he loses his hands so he loses hand positioning and wiffs on fairly routine blocker and catcher saves.

I just posted the same type of analysis. Good to see I'm not the only one who sees him sliding out of position all the time.
Yup. It seemed fairly clear to me especially early in the season. I think the issue is it would lead to slight over sliding out of position and then slower mechanics to rise and get set into position. Campbell has good lateral movement and is an athletic tender. But over sliding hurt his technical game in terms of angles and getting set vertically. Mechanics all out of whack.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Goalies are voodoo.

2020-21 GSAA Leaders:
#6 Alex Nedeljkovic 9.6
#7 Jack Campbell 8.4
#8 Petr Mrazek 7.1
#9 Thatcher Demko 6.8

2022-23 GSAA Leaders:
#76 Petr Mrazek -10.9
#77 Alex Nedeljkovic -11. 1
#78 Jack Campbell -11.1
#79 Thatcher Demko -11.2

If I told you two years ago that I come from the future and we have signed Campbell for 5x5 and he is playing as well as Mrazek, Nedeljkovic and Demko. I'm sure you would be quite happy.

What a statistical oddity. I wonder if these guys train together in the offseason.

Stats from moneypuck.
That's amazing haha

Although I still don't believe goalies are voodoo

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

So what you are saying is he needs those old leather pads so he can't move as much :laugh:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Of all the games Campbell has won this year, how many would anyone say we won because of him and not in spite of him? I'm going to guess the latter number is higher than the former.

• Haha
Reactions: Zur En Arrh

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He's had 2 good game after a dozen disastrous ones. Until that save percentage starts with a 9 instead of an 8 he still has a loooooot of ground to make up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad