Rumor: Jack Campbell going to the Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s going to end up as a terrible contract for at least the last two years imo. But for Edmonton’s window it’s probably the best option out there. Just a bad year to be goalie shopping.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Signing Campbell to a 5x5 contract is not the most ideal situation, but there rarely is a perfect situation, especially for the Oilers, but the Oilers have no choice but to upgrade that position and there is no doubt he will be an upgrade over Koskinen and Smith. Campbell is basically in his prime in goalie years and all they need is for him to perform to the level he has the last few seasons.

I know everyone that leaves the Leafs are overpaid bums once the Oilers sign them. Hyman, Ceci, and Barrie for example, but they seemed to play pretty well for the Oilers. It will probably give Campbell confidence going into the season knowing he can settle into a long term situation and a team has invested in him to be their number 1 guy going forward as well.

Reactions: InTheBox

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
wow 5x5? that hasnt been reported all week.

but dont worry, under developed brains in here r going "what tampering?"

who cares, enjoy one of the worst goalies in the NHL for 5 years. You'll get sick of him apologizing for being shit after the 3rd time.
No one here has an underdeveloped brain, most people just understand that the NHL doesn't actually give a shit about tampering. In the same way they don't give a shit about the LTIR loophole. Teams don't really call each other out on it because they all want to be able to do it too. Look around at all the other tampering going on, Kuemper reportedly going to WSH to such a degree they bounce all their goalies 2 days before they can even negotiate. Lmao.

I think we will enjoy Campbell just fine. He's going to go through rough patches, just like Hyman did, but if he can hold our opponents to 2 goals like he did for you guys, we will manage just fine. Seems like another Fred situation, people are 50/50 on him, till he leaves then they want to take a shit all over him.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
What? Hyman's PPG dropped in Edmonton, playing with McDavid.

Leafs didn't want to go 7 years for Hyman. They found a 750K player who produced better than him last season. I don't think they're too upset.

He won 2 Cups, he's younger, he was better than Campbell from December - May last season and he isn't getting 25M.
LOL

Of course you conveniently leave out his playoff contribution for the Oilers.

With the Leafs Hyman had 13 points, 5 goals in 32 playoff games.
With the Oilers Hyman had 16 points, 11 goals in 16 playoff games.

Meanwhile the better producing Bunting had a whopping 3 points in this years playoffs. LMAO cope harder.

Reactions: Captain Controversy

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
No one here has an underdeveloped brain, most people just understand that the NHL doesn't actually give a shit about tampering. In the same way they don't give a shit about the LTIR loophole. Teams don't really call each other out on it because they all want to be able to do it too. Look around at all the other tampering going on, Kuemper reportedly going to WSH to such a degree they bounce all their goalies 2 days before they can even negotiate. Lmao.

I think we will enjoy Campbell just fine. He's going to go through rough patches, just like Hyman did, but if he can hold our opponents to 2 goals like he did for you guys, we will manage just fine. Seems like another Fred situation, people are 50/50 on him, till he leaves then they want to take a shit all over him.
There really wasn't much 50/50 on him after Christmas. He was just straight up bad. Obviously when he is your goalie you are hoping for him to turn it around and he is also like I said earlier a super easy guy to cheer for. I do hope he does well, but this isn't some revisionist history going on here, there were pages and pages and multiple threads on the dire situation in net when Campbell started spiraling in the 2nd half. I genuinely do want him to do well though but that doesn't mean there isn't serious risks to this deal.

Reactions: 1specter

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I'm happy for Campbell and his new big money deal, he is a clear upgrade over what the oilers had last year, obviously Toronto didn't want to go long term with him because of his inexperience and inconsistencies, i think oilers fans will be happy with Campbell overall but there will be moments where you guys wished you hadn't signed him.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Oilers don't care about years 5-7 for Hyman. By then we've either won the cup or McDrai are both gone and we use a "good guy" like Hyman to mentor the new youth. I can see why it would be an issue for Toronto, but it wasn't for us.

"behind the Oilers D"... is exceptionally presumptuous. We don't know how the blue line will stack up this year, but we have cap to replace Keith who was... uhhh... charitably, in over his head. That will make a huge difference for us, plus Bouchard is a year older (essentially his sophomore season). I expect it to be improved.

Nurse Ceci
XXX Bouchard
YYY Barrie (or replacement)

That's two and possibly three new guys in there. For all you know it could end up:

Nurse Ceci
Chychrun Bouchard
Kulak Soucy
We'll see how long Hyman holds up, but the Oilers have about two years to win a cup IMO before he starts to decline. 4 years left after that isn't exactly an insignificant time and we've seen Edmonton go down this road in the past with the Lucic contract, although his decline was much more rapid.

To your second point, I'm sorry man but a defense with Cody Ceci on the top pairing isn't convincing. I know Oilers fans get really defensive about Ceci saying how he's a completely different player vs his time in Ottawa/Toronto etc but even if he's doing better in Edmonton he's nowhere near a top pairing D on a good team. I doubt Chychrun happens, and Nurse is more of a 2/3 than a #1. That's a tough group, Holland has his work cut out for him.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
LOL

Of course you conveniently leave out his playoff contribution for the Oilers.

With the Leafs Hyman had 13 points, 5 goals in 32 playoff games.
With the Oilers Hyman had 16 points, 11 goals in 16 playoff games.

Meanwhile the better producing Bunting had a whopping 3 points in this years playoffs. LMAO cope harder.

Seems like players produce better and are happier once they leave Toronto.

- We'll see how long Hyman holds up, but the Oilers have about two years to win a cup IMO before he starts to decline.

- Nurse is more of a 2/3 than a #1.

These takes are something alright.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Why would Colorado and Toronto care since they were going to let those players go anyway?

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Never thought Campbell was the problem. I liked him a lot as our starter.

How he's the problem when Marner and Matthews don't decide games commensurate with their positions when it matters is baffling.

And the contract doesn't have to age well if you win the Cup. Win the Cup...that contract will be golden forever.

All the best, Jack.

Reactions: Leo360

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
Too much term, but he's the best goalie out there. I hope it works out for a couple years anyway.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
There really wasn't much 50/50 on him after Christmas. He was just straight up bad. Obviously when he is your goalie you are hoping for him to turn it around and he is also like I said earlier a super easy guy to cheer for. I do hope he does well, but this isn't some revisionist history going on here, there were pages and pages and multiple threads on the dire situation in net when Campbell started spiraling in the 2nd half. I genuinely do want him to do well though but that doesn't mean there isn't serious risks to this deal.
The same for Fred. There were pages and pages earlier on and then Fred did okay for a bit and people chilled out, then he went back to sucking. Goalies have ups and downs, Smith was trash all year between injuries and then really good for parts of the playoffs. Koskinen was trash most of the time until he put it together for 10-12 games.

People need to be less volatile when it comes to how they view their goalies. I imagine the same thing is about to happen with Murray, and when we hit a rough patch some people in our fanbase will do the same with Soup. Some people are already upset about the 5 years.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Why would Colorado and Toronto care since they were going to let those players go anyway?
Because tampering is tampering? You should let the TOR fans know that so they stop posting about how he's the worst and getting upset about tampering in this thread.

If only keeping the player is what matters to you, why didn't Dubas bring it up when we were pursuing Hyman? He was much more interested in keeping that player and then decided not to take the 7th because he got mad.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not a good deal if it’s 5x5.

Not much of a track record to commit that long-term to a goalie.

Now the Kane signing was great so it evens out a bit.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I hope you guys don't have to rely on Campbell in playoff overtime.

playoff overtime goal was scored due to:

1) Marner's hailmary stupid pass from the d-zone that got intercepted and tampa transitioned

2) Marner then plays chicken in the d-zone

3) Holl, piece of trash d-man, just sees point pass the puck into the net. yes the same piece of trash pylon that was forced in the line up by a piece of trash coach Keefe

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Too much term, but he's the best goalie out there. I hope it works out for a couple years anyway.

If oilers can get 3 yeras of decent tending (and potentially a chance at the cup); then they have options. Either look for a trading partner if campbell has regressed or buy out last 2 years when the cap is expected to have increased quite a bit

Reactions: InTheBox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad