Rumor: Jack Campbell going to the Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
He's obviously gonna be lights out in Edmonton. Dubas really dropped the ball on this one! Sad that Campbell is only gonna cost 300k more than Murray
As with Hyman, term will be the issue. When you are unproven, you have to be very careful of cap hit as well as length of term, you can't give both. Remember Clarkson? There's a reason people like me were screaming from the mountains the moment that was signed. You could opt to give one of the two (dollars or term), not both. That goes to proven or elite.

As a side note but I need someone with Photoshop skills to do up a new logo for Edmonton. Name change from "Oilers" to "Sloppy Seconds". Shoutout to Avery.

Reactions: Metroid

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I don't love the contract either, but the market is thin, and Edmonton has their best shot in the McDavid era this year. Can't blame em.

I am not a big fan of Campbell overall, though.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
As with Hyman, term will be the issue. When you are unproven, you have to be very careful of cap hit as well as length of term, you can't give both. Remember Clarkson? There's a reason people like me were screaming from the mountains the moment that was signed. You could opt to give one of the two (dollars or term), not both. That goes to proven or elite.

As a side note but I need someone with Photoshop skills to do up a new logo for Edmonton. Name change from "Oilers" to "Sloppy Seconds". Shoutout to Avery.

Those sloppy seconds perform better on Edmonton than they ever did on Toronto.

Reactions: McNuge

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
What??!

.911 and .916 are not as close as you think they are. It’s two goals over a ten game span which can be the difference between a 6-4 record vs 4-6.

Plus Murray hasn’t been a .911 goalie for any period longer than a few weeks in the last three years!

I personally think they will both rebound, but the stats are strongly in Campbell’s favor right now
Interesting leap.

Those sloppy seconds perform better on Edmonton than they ever did on Toronto.
Yet worse than their sub $1M replacements.......

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sure. Here's Campbell's over the same time frame:

������
2017-18
6.png
Los Angeles Kings
NHL52.48.92402-0-2|
6.png
Ontario Reign
AHL262.83.912011-10-5|
2018-19
6.png
Los Angeles Kings
NHL312.30.928210-14-1|
6.png
Ontario Reign
AHL24.38.88801-1-0|
2019-20
6.png
Los Angeles Kings
NHL202.85.90008-10-2|
3.png
Toronto Maple Leafs
NHL62.63.91503-2-1|
2020-21
3.png
Toronto Maple Leafs
NHL222.15.921217-3-2|Playoffs71.81.93413-4-0
2021-22
3.png
Toronto Maple Leafs
NHL492.64.914531-9-6|Playoffs73.15.89713-4-0

No one is denying that Murray had a great start to his NHL career. The issue is that he has either been injured or bad for 4 out of the last 5 seasons.

And Campbell's numbers drastically fell through the 2nd half of last season. Starter's workload, injuries, whatever it is, it works against Jack. I definitely don't think Murray is the answer but unfortunately as the market currently stands the Leafs were limited in options. End of the day it never made sense for them to commit to 5x5 for Jack as it looks pretty risky due to his lack of experience carrying a starter's workload. Never heard of a nicer teammate/player than him though so I hope the deal works out well.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Still think Kuemper should've been Edmonton's guy, but Campbell is still a massive upgrade over Koskinen and The Cryptkeeper, I mean Mike Smith, sorry, despite Campbell's bad 2nd half of the season.

Edmonton needs to go add defense now. Duncan Keith's retirement is a huge break for them.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
2 starters, Freddy faked an injury and quit on the team and pulled the same shit on Carolina this year, and Yes he did fake it, it's in the all or nothing doc he claims he's hurt but the doctors can't find anything wrong with him because he wasn't hurt.

He pulled the same shit on Carolina.

As for Jack well he just sucked from December-May
Maybe it the team around his . Barrie did better once he left, Ceci done better with the Pens and now with the Oilers. The TML cup win is getting Matthews to hit 50+ goals. Just keep doing what you are doing.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I think a lot of Leafs fans lost their credibility with their comments regarding Hyman last year... I was convinced Hyman was 3rd liner at one point. So can't put much stock in what they say
This couldn't be more wrong man. 80%+ of the fan base have always said Hyman is a key piece and was one of the only players on our team to play with heart.

Campbell legitimately has had question marks. There's a reason we were looking for another goalie (Fleury) at TDL. He has been very inconsistent - but honestly I wish him nothing but the best. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable giving him a multi-year deal, but it could be a steal.

He's probably one of the best personalities in the NHL and deserves it.

And yet again we see Leaf fans throwing a free agent under the bus hoping they can improve by not having him. Familiar. Sad.

See above

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
All Edmonton needs is more consistent goaltending. Not a goalie to steal games. EDM and COL won the most games last year when having sub 900 goaltending I believe....

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I think signing Campbell over Kuemper is a mistake. People stat watch and think Campbell was bad, but he was almost as bad as Matt Murray last year.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This happens literally every year with every team. You honestly believe all contract negotiation/ signings/ discussion take place on the very first day of free agency ?

& in reality, there is no rule against McDavid calling up Campbell and recruiting him. The NBA guys do that all the time.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
I liked Campbell as a Leaf... good guy, held the fort better than I thought for the most part. That said, he did struggle from December through the end of the year and his sample size of quality goaltending is....small. Wont be upset passing on a 5x5 contract.

Mar 26, 2010
wow 5x5? that hasnt been reported all week.

but dont worry, under developed brains in here r going "what tampering?"

who cares, enjoy one of the worst goalies in the NHL for 5 years. You'll get sick of him apologizing for being shit after the 3rd time.
Campbell is not a starting goalie in the nhl. Bad contract again by the Oilers lol.

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sure. Here's Campbell's over the same time frame:

������
2017-18
6.png
Los Angeles Kings
NHL52.48.92402-0-2|
6.png
Ontario Reign
AHL262.83.912011-10-5|
2018-19
6.png
Los Angeles Kings
NHL312.30.928210-14-1|
6.png
Ontario Reign
AHL24.38.88801-1-0|
2019-20
6.png
Los Angeles Kings
NHL202.85.90008-10-2|
3.png
Toronto Maple Leafs
NHL62.63.91503-2-1|
2020-21
3.png
Toronto Maple Leafs
NHL222.15.921217-3-2|Playoffs71.81.93413-4-0
2021-22
3.png
Toronto Maple Leafs
NHL492.64.914531-9-6|Playoffs73.15.89713-4-0

No one is denying that Murray had a great start to his NHL career. The issue is that he has either been injured or bad for 4 out of the last 5 seasons.

To be fair Murrays father died which probably affected his mental health.

& he never wanted to be traded to Ottawa (you can say well he signed a 4 year deal but why wouldn't he agree to a guaranteed 20 million+?)

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Hyman was always gonna be good the first 2-3 years. The issue was more that he was given 7 years and was already having significant injury issues by the end of his time in Toronto. We got Bunting anyways so it's fine.

Campbell at 5x5 behind the Oilers D sounds like a rough time though.

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
To be fair Murrays father died which probably affected his mental health.

& he never wanted to be traded to Ottawa (you can say well he signed a 4 year deal but why wouldn't he agree to a guaranteed 20 million+?)

No one is denying that or saying it's not a possibility his father's death, mental health, injuries, all have played a role in his downturn the past 5yrs.

But to sit here and say that today, or even the past 5yrs, that Murray is better, or even on par, with Campbell as a goaltender in the NHL is beyond "happy-go-lucky" and rose-coloured glasses.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well, I live in Edmonton. I think I might have missed maybe 4-5 oilers games in the last 2 years?

Hyman is injury prone, and likely to slow down considerably at about the half way point of his contract. Bunting was way less money, and way less risk. Made sense to let him go.

Tyson Barrie I’m not even going to get started with, but Jake Gardiner was a more reliable defender and that’s saying something. He definitely has been equally as bad if not worse in Edmonton.

Ceci was nothing but awful in Toronto, putting up a whopping 8 points including 1 goal in 56 games. So yeah, I’d say the leafs fans were justified in wanting him rocketed into the sun.

This is the reality of the situation. Honestly I’m a bit shocked I see people defending Tyson Barrie, considering he’s never defended anybody in his career.
Barrie in Edmontom has never been as awful defensively as he was under Babcock. Under Woodcroft he was actually passable defensively, and far better than Gardiner has ever been.

You're missing the point with Ceci. I know he had an awful year in Toronto. Many Leaf fans think he is still the same player and that's the point.

Reactions: Leo360

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Interesting leap.

Yet worse than their sub $1M replacements.......

Wait, I'm the guy making the leap?

Zertonine was saying:
1) Career SPCT was a meaningful comparison despite the fact that over the last 3 years Campbell has been pretty consistent & Murray has been consistently 0.899 which is 11 points BELOW his own career average.
2) He then implied that said career averages (0.911 vs 0.916) are ~equivalent. It's simply not true.

0.911 x ~30 shots/game x 10 games = 27 goals against
0.916 x ~30 shots/game x 10 games = 25 goals against

Over a 60 start season, that's going to be a 12 goal difference between the two... it's meaningful.

And that's if we even accept that Murray can even play to 0.911 career average which he hasn't done in 4 years. I personally think he can, but it's a big risk. If we take his SPCT in Ottawa (0.899) and Campbells SPCT in Toronto (still 0.916), then we are talking about 182 vs 151 goals against over 60 games. That's 31 goals HUGE in goal differential. Go look at teams with a 30 goal differential spread and tell me if they are the same.

Now I'm not saying that the immediate past performance in Ottawa is a fair representation for Murray, but he also lost his role in Pittsburgh because of an AHL quality 0.899 season as well. His recent performance over the last three years says that he's a .899 SPCT guy on two different teams, which is terrible.

To suggest that these two guys have been in the same sphere recently is crazy... that's the only LEAP around here.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Hyman was always gonna be good the first 2-3 years. The issue was more that he was given 7 years and was already having significant injury issues by the end of his time in Toronto. We got Bunting anyways so it's fine.

Campbell at 5x5 behind the Oilers D sounds like a rough time though.

Oilers don't care about years 5-7 for Hyman. By then we've either won the cup or McDrai are both gone and we use a "good guy" like Hyman to mentor the new youth. I can see why it would be an issue for Toronto, but it wasn't for us.

"behind the Oilers D"... is exceptionally presumptuous. We don't know how the blue line will stack up this year, but we have cap to replace Keith who was... uhhh... charitably, in over his head. That will make a huge difference for us, plus Bouchard is a year older (essentially his sophomore season). I expect it to be improved.

Nurse Ceci
XXX Bouchard
YYY Barrie (or replacement)

That's two and possibly three new guys in there. For all you know it could end up:

Nurse Ceci
Chychrun Bouchard
Kulak Soucy

Reactions: Macheteops

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Kings fan checking in here. Always liked Soupy. Always thought of him as an underdog coming through. I feel good karma for Oily fans. Good luck Soupy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad