Jaccob Slavin is the best young defenseman in the league

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's very good but he doesn't provide a lot of offense.

You sure about that? Just because he doesn't play a ton on the PP doesn't mean he doesn't provide a lot of offense. He already plays 23 mins a night a ES/PK.

Leads his team in 5v5 points from defenseman over the past 2 years and has more non-PP points than guys like Werenski.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Provorov
Werenski
Jones
Lindholm
Parayko

would be the top 5, and Slavin isn't one of them

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Best young defenseman in the league? Columbus alone has 2 better defenseman the same age or younger.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Bring up all the stats you want. When starting a team, who picks Slavin over:

Provorov
Jones
Parayko
Ekblad
Werenski
Trouba
Lindholm

Nobody? I thought so.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
You sure about that? Just because he doesn't play a ton on the PP doesn't mean he doesn't provide a lot of offense. He already plays 23 mins a night a ES/PK.

Leads his team in 5v5 points from defenseman over the past 2 years and has more non-PP points than guys like Werenski.

2 goals and 23 points isn't a lot. I know most of those points are ES.

If he doesn't play on the PP it's because the coaches think he isn't their best option.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Provorov
Jones
Parayko
Ekblad
Werenski
Trouba
Lindholm

Nobody? I thought so.

This. Slavin is top-10, but there are definitely 5 guys any team would take over him by a sizable margin.

Jones for instance is younger, plays more minutes in every situation, and has more points. It isn't even close.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh good lord. This sort of thing is how guys who legitimately deserve accolades get ridiculously overrated. He's fantastic and folks should be paying attention to what he's up to, and he deserves a place in the debate, but uncontested? Give me a ****ing break - he's not even the uncontested best in his division, let alone the League. There are other highly awesome players, and Slavin is not guaranteed better just because folks don't pay attention to the Canes.

* * *​
None of these guys is anywhere close to where Slavin is defensively and Slavin is underrated offensively.

Funny, the exact same thing could be said about Seth Jones.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
2 goals and 23 points isn't a lot. I know most of those points are ES.

If he doesn't play on the PP it's because the coaches think he isn't their best option.

No, he doesn't play on the PP because he's already playing 20 minutes at 5v5 and 3+ minutes short handed every night. It's more critical he be rested to shut down the other team's best players.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No, he doesn't play on the PP because he's already playing 20 minutes at 5v5 and 3+ minutes short handed every night. It's more critical he be rested to shut down the other team's best players.

Tell me how he is doing better than Seth Jones, who is the same age. I'd like to hear that argument.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

ok Seth Jones has 36 points and the same number on the PP. whats the arguement against that? Carolina is worse so Slavin is automatically better?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
ok Seth Jones has 36 points and the same number on the PP. whats the arguement against that? Carolina is worse so Slavin is automatically better?

Yeah except a major reason why Columbus is better is due to their #1 defenseman and leader in TOI.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He's very good but he doesn't provide a lot of offense.

He's 0.91 P/60 5v5 on a team that is 24th in the NHL in scoring and is on pace for just over 30 points. Is he at the top? No, but he's better than many of the guys people are comparing him to given the team he is on (will likely have 1 player on the whole team over 50 points this year).

Hamilton: 1.6
Trouba: 1.2
Schulz: 1.2
Jones: 1.12
Parayko: 1.07
Klingberg: 1.01
Slavin: 0.91
Dumba: 0.81
Werenski: 0.78
Ristolainen: 0.61
Lindholm: 0.54

Just for reference, the difference between Slavin's .91 and Schulz's 1.2 is 7-8 ES points over an 82 game season. On top of that, Slavin faces MUCH more difficult competition than many of these other guys. Slavin barely gets 1 min/ game on the PP and it's on the 2nd unit of a team with a crappy PP.

He's by not means an offensive juggernaut, but he's not an offensive black hole either.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
He's struggled this year and was massively sheltered in his rookie year
Yup. That's why I am not as high on Werenski as a lot of people are. Being paired with a stud like Jones is a tremendous luxury and will masks a lot of things. To be fair, a guy like Slavin is a lot more exposed. And then you have Provorov, playing with chains around his ankles. Would love to see what Slavin and Provorov could do offensively if they had the luxury of partnering with a Seth Jones.

Back to Ekblad, despite his struggles this year he has the size. Not that Slavin is a shrimp. Big D always take longer to develop. There is brilliance in him, the only question is whether the brilliance will become sustained at some point.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ

Provorov
Jones
Parayko
Ekblad
Werenski
Trouba
Lindholm

Nobody? I thought so.

Yeah even as a Rangers fan that just posted the article about Skjei, I'd take probably everyone on that list over him if I was starting a team today...definitely the top 5

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Well Seth Jones plays with Werenski.

Slavin has spent most the year with Pesce.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Seth Jones fan. But he's more prone to defensive lapses than Slavin. Slavin plays some of the most mistake free hockey I think I've ever seen.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Provorov
Jones
Parayko
Ekblad
Werenski
Trouba
Lindholm

Nobody? I thought so.

Those are the only two guys I'd have to think about. But still, I'd take Slavin first.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Well Seth Jones plays with Werenski.

Slavin has spent most the year with Pesce.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Seth Jones fan. But he's more prone to defensive lapses than Slavin. Slavin plays some of the most mistake free hockey I think I've ever seen.

So Werenski is "sheltered" because he gets to play with a stud like Jones but at the same time Jones plays with Werenski so thats a boost? Im so confused with this thread as the reason Slavin is better then someone keeps changing.
Slavin is a great player but this is just Gaudreau vs the world all over again

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
This. Slavin is top-10, but there are definitely 5 guys any team would take over him by a sizable margin.

Jones for instance is younger, plays more minutes in every situation, and has more points. It isn't even close.
What would I give to have a Seth Jones... He has everything. I tell you one thing about Slavin though. The guy has a very long solid career in front of him. Everybody agrees that Provorov is an absolute stud. Well, Slavin can very well be compared to him. High IQ, smooth defensive play, good attitude, a team player, and all that. You never know how things will work out - Slavin may be contending for a Norris some day.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So Werenski is "sheltered" because he gets to play with a stud like Jones but at the same time Jones plays with Werenski so thats a boost? Im so confused with this thread as the reason Slavin is better then someone keeps changing.
Slavin is a great player but this is just Gaudreau vs the world all over again

Both of them are better than Slavin.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What would I give to have a Seth Jones... He has everything. I tell you one thing about Slavin though. The guy has a very long solid career in front of him. Everybody agrees that Provorov is an absolute stud. Well, Slavin can very well be compared to him. High IQ, smooth defensive play, good attitude, a team player, and all that. You never know how things will work out - Slavin may be contending for a Norris some day.

Voters love point so sadly whether deserved or not I doubt he enters Norris voting

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Voters love point so sadly whether deserved or not I doubt he enters Norris voting
True, true... But do you think the voters will not recognize a guy like Provorov just because he is not an offensive dynamo? If he plays for the Flyers, with a C on his chest in 5 years, you bet they will. Hopefully Slavin gets his due if he deserves it - and doesn't get ignored because of where he plays.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Just to show how these guys are used this year:

xm3oki.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad