Jaccob Slavin is the best young defenseman in the league

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This guy just has it all. Might be the smartest 22 year old defenseman I've seen, and has been far and away the Canes MVP this season IMO.

While he's primarily utilized in a more defensive role, he's currently riding a 5 game point streak and is on pace for 31 points on an offensively challenged hurricanes team.

- Only 4 of his 24 points have come on the PP, as he's only averaged about 1 min per game of PP ice time.
- He's 2nd on the team in PPP/60 behind only Skinner.
- He leads all hurricanes defensemen in 5v5 scoring this season and over the last 2 seasons combined.

But what's most impressive is the fact that he's +15 playing ~23-24 minutes/night on a team that is -29 5v5 this year. That ice time is played almost exclusively at ES/PK against the opponent's top line.

Here's what the Hurricanes +/- leaders look like. I'm not big on the stat, but the distance he's out between himself and the rest of the team is impressive for a 22 year old with his work load.

Slavin + 15
Pesce* +10
Staal +2
Aho -2
Teravainen -4
Stempniak -4
Skinner -14
Faulk -15
Hanifin -22

*was his partner for majority of season

He's 5th in the league with a relGF% of 20.8, with a PDO of only 100.8 and he's played more ice time with much tougher assignments than all the guys ahead of him. He has lead his team in GF% both years he's been in the league.

He's the biggest reason why the Hurricanes are 4th in the league in shots against/game. He also anchors the team's PK unit, which ranks 3rd in the NHL - he's played 70 more minutes short-handed than the next highest ranking Hurricane.

The guy needs more hype. He legitimately looks like he could be the league's next great all around defenseman. There isn't a guy in his age bracket who I'd take over him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Slavin has been fantastic, but so has Trouba, Lindholm (same draft year), Werenski, and a number of others.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I mean he's good... but no.

8th in defensemen scoring (leads all U24s despite only playing second unit PP and his coach rolling three D pairs evenly at 5on5)
1st in USAT% of any defensemen in the NHL (50+ GP)
1st in USAT% Relative to Team of any defenseman in the NHL (50+ GP)

But sure. "no". Because you said so.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Yes, let's roll out scoring defensemen as comparisons. RIF :shakehead

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I agree with OKG, Hamilton has been very good this year (not looking at stats, just based on my limited viewing) and is in the discussion for sure, and not just scoring. It's always impossible to have a "who is the best" discussion as the variables (Team, system, teammates, level of competition, etc..) are not the same so while advanced stats TRY to account for that, it's impossible. That said, many of these guys mentioned are all in the conversation.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
No

No

No

No

None of these guys is anywhere close to where Slavin is defensively and Slavin is underrated offensively.
Provorov is just as good defensively, while playing with a corpse. And being a rookie. His defensive game is beautiful. You can pull out all the stats you want to prove me wrong, but I am right. I do love Slavin, btw. But would take Parayko, Seth Jones, and Provorov over him if I were starting a team.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
When building a team from scratch, how many people would pick Slavin over the likes of the names listed above? Probably very few.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad