Player Discussion J.T. Miller vs. Brandon Dubinsky

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Now I miss Dubinsky and hate Nash even more. Imagine this team with Dubinsky and Jenner instead of Nash?

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
I am not so sure I would call JT Miller, who was 8th among regular forwards on the team in shot rate (behind Nash/Stepan/Stalberg/Lindberg/E. Staal/Kreider/Hayes), shoot-first.

Dubi is a playmaker, Miller is more of a finisher. Is that better word choice for you?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think that Dubinsky was the more grittier player and Miller is the more skilled. The truth is in the middle. Today, I find myself wishing for both to be on the team.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Why would they have Jenner?

**** your right Rychel is the player CBJ took with the 1st round pick from the Nash trade. There actually really weren't that many players selected in the area the Rangers would've drafted that are impact players in the NHL right now.

Burakvosky and Theodore are really the only players who have spent more than a cup of coffee in the league so far. Mantha sticks out though as the guy with the highest upside. Didn't mean to derail this thread so NVM.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
**** your right Rychel is the player CBJ took with the 1st round pick from the Nash trade. There actually really weren't that many players selected in the area the Rangers would've drafted that are impact players in the NHL right now.

Burakvosky and Theodore are really the only players who have spent more than a cup of coffee in the league so far. Mantha sticks out though as the guy with the highest upside. Didn't mean to derail this thread so NVM.

No guarantee we pick the guy Columbus did anyway.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
never wanted to see Dubi leave,
glad Miller has developed as he has
didn't vote
maybe they play together some day, maybe for USA

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
never wanted to see Dubi leave,
glad Miller has developed as he has
didn't vote
maybe they play together some day, maybe for USA

yup.. always wish it was callahan instead.. Miller definitely is more skilled/shooter, but dubi was just maybe even more physical

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
Miller.

He has a much better finesse skill set. I like his speed, too. They're different players, and Dubi is great and has a nice edge to his game, but give me Miller over Dubi.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If you asked the same question a year ago about Hayes, everyone would go for Hayes.

Let's see if Miller can keep up his good play

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think that Dubinsky was the more grittier player and Miller is the more skilled. The truth is in the middle. Today, I find myself wishing for both to be on the team.

Agreed.

The thing I miss the most about Dubi is his gritty, defensive play in the d zone. He was really underrated in this area. He was very prone to be hotheaded and could be awfully streaky. I think his last year before the Nash trade is leaving people with a poor memory of Dubi, but oh well.

In hindsight, I wish Cally would've went the other way in the Nash deal. Miller-Dubi-Nash would be one helluva line to watch.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Agreed.

The thing I miss the most about Dubi is his gritty, defensive play in the d zone. He was really underrated in this area. He was very prone to be hotheaded and could be awfully streaky. I think his last year before the Nash trade is leaving people with a poor memory of Dubi, but oh well.

In hindsight, I wish Cally would've went the other way in the Nash deal. Miller-Dubi-Nash would be one helluva line to watch.

If nothing else, having Dubi for these playoff series against the Pens would be off the charts entertaining. Remember Dubi calling Crosby a baby during a between period interview? Dubi hates Crosby and loves to compete against him.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I like them both, I'd take them both on this team. Overall I voted Miller has the better career, but that's not based on much more than my feelings on his game which have always been generally higher the a good portion of this forum.

P.S. Silverfish is a hater. :D

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Miller will be better offensively. He has more natural offensive talent. Dubi is the more complete player and should be a captain. Should have been one in NY and should be one CBJ.

Agree on the bold - JT handles all 3 F slots
Not sure how much more complete Dubi will wind up being, if at all.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I like that Dubi had a penchant for taking selfish penalties. Theyou weren't the lazy kind. They were the physical kind and I'm OK with that.

I think Dubi is a better defensive player and still a better offensive player.

Right now its Dubi. Not close. JT can close the gap with out a doubt. But I don't see him surpassing Dubi.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Dubinsky's a great player. A lock for 40 points, maybe can get to 55-60 on the right team. Excellent defensive player, makes his teammates better, and is a gamer in the playoffs. He's a leader, very vocal, and is a guy who leaves it all out there.

Miller will have to do a lot to be "better" than this in my book. Dubi plays the more valuable position... To me they're not really comparable players. I see a lot more T.J. Oshie in Miller.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Dubinsky's a great player. A lock for 40 points, maybe can get to 55-60 on the right team. Excellent defensive player, makes his teammates better, and is a gamer in the playoffs. He's a leader, very vocal, and is a guy who leaves it all out there.

Miller will have to do a lot to be "better" than this in my book. Dubi plays the more valuable position... To me they're not really comparable players. I see a lot more T.J. Oshie in Miller.

This is pretty spot on except I don't necessarily agree with the Oshie comparison. Dubi -Lite?

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I've been a big booster of JT Miller since he arrived, quietly perhaps.
I like all types of players, but I think Miller is more the cerebral type player I like. Stepan is like that too, in my opinion.
I won't get into the debate about how they are different types of players. If I was starting a brand new shiny team and had a non-cap-influenced decision between Dubinsky and JT Miller, I would pick Miller without a second's thought (the thinking has already been done watching both players over multiple seasons).

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
I always liked Dubinsky, but I sort of viewed him as a wanna be play maker. I've never seen him be able to create like Miller did yesterday

Gotta watch more Dubi then. He's a better playmaker than Miller at this point.

I love JT though, I've been wanting AV to lock him into a top six role for a while now. Very happy it looks like he finally has. But I think a lot of you have no idea who Dubi is as a hockey player. Some people are so clueless they think he's a winger.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Gotta watch more Dubi then. He's a better playmaker than Miller at this point.

I love JT though, I've been wanting AV to lock him into a top six role for a while now. Very happy it looks like he finally has. But I think a lot of you have no idea who Dubi is as a hockey player. Some people are so clueless they think he's a winger.

I seem to remember him playing wing as much if not more as center, but maybe I'm remembering wrong, it's been a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad