Player Discussion J.T. Miller vs. Brandon Dubinsky

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe unfair to Dubi given the 3 assists from Miller today being fresh on people's minds. Either way, try not to be too biased. Who do you think will end up as the better player? Dubinsky has turned into a pretty good 50ish (+ or -) player. I think Miller will likely be the same.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Close call. Similar players in many ways. Physical, good possession, nice production. Dubinsky plays center but I don't know if I even love him as a center because he's so good along the boards.

I'll go with Miller because he tickles dat twine. Already close to Dubinsky's career high in goals at 23 years old (just turned 23 also)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
For some reason I get way more excited when J.T. is on the ice. There were certain seasons when I cringed when Dubinsky was on the ice.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I could definitely see that. Miller plays with an edge but is better at staying behind that line (his recent silly penalty notwithstanding).

Dubinsky gets on trips where he gets totally wrapped up in nonsense and gets off his game. Or at least he did. Maybe he's settled down with age on Columbus.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Aside from being homegrown, I think the real parallel between Dubinsky and Miller is/was their attitude when they were early in their career. Cockiness can be a blessing, but it's a detriment when the attitude gets in the way of the play. Dubinsky really matured during his time in Columbus, and I've seen great improvements in Miller's mental game because he definitely has the talent.

In regard to style of play, I don't see as much of a similarity. They both play the boards well [Dubinsky being superior in that regard], but they accomplish this by different methods. Dubinsky protects the puck whereas Miller crushes the skater for turn overs with his checks. Speaking of which, although Miller is not a tower of a player, this guy his like a ****ing truck when he gets someone lined up.

Anyway, I like what I've seen over the last half season in Miller's play, and it will only help us going forward after the most likely semi-house clean this summer.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
Big Dubinsky fan here but I do not really see the similarity.

I have Miller over Dubinsky because I think he is a goal scorer. And the step he made this season, who says he wil not be better the next? Miller is not at his ceiling me think. At the moment he is my favorite Ranger. When he hits the ice things happen. Dubinsky, imo gets it done with Physic, I see more talent and skill in Millers game.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I loved Dubi in his time here. It was a mistake to give Callahan the captaincy over him. However, Miller is the more more naturally talented player. Miller is a better skater. (People forget that Dubi had to take skating lessons, and he still has a choppy stride.) Miller is also the more natural playmaker and a better passer, and has the ability to complete the high-risk plays he envisions. Miller, along with Kreider, Stepan, Brassard and Zucc, makes up a quality top six. Buchnevich should fit in nicely at RW on either line, allowing the Rangers to move Mash for assets to rebuild the overall depth of the farm system.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Dubi at his best>Best of what JT has given us so far

At the same time, I think JT has more natural talent and will end up being the better player.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Jagr took Dubinsky under his wing and that helped him immensely. Dubinsky when we drafted him was about 5'10 and 165 lbs. The comparison then was Darcy Tucker because Dubinsky played a kind of Brad Marchand kind of game irritating the **** out of every team he faced.

And then he had a growth spurt--a serious growth spurt and Jagr's the one that took him aside and showed him how to play a power forward's game.

Really would like to have Dubinsky back......though both Miller and Kreider are most effective playing a power forward game--so it's not like the Rangers are short in that category. I would like to see one of them round out more--continue to produce and take on a penalty killing role. That is something that Dubinsky did with us and he can be quite effective at it.

Anyway Miller has 13 points in 25 career playoff games now. 12 of them are assists but up to this year his role has been limited so those are still pretty good numbers and I can remember him making a number of primary scoring plays in last year's playoffs so IMO he's not a passenger--he comes to play. There's not just hitting and grinding--there's some really creative playmaking (as was apparent yesterday) in his game.

Anyway looking at our last 4 first rounders---I think we've gotten 4 really good players out of it. I was happy with both McIlrath and Skjei in the first two games as well---though Dylan had an issue with a couple guys turning him.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I'm not sure Miller and Dubinsky are all that similar. Dubinsky is more of a power forward - one of the best players in the league along the boards, excellent at using his body to protect the puck, and he agitates and provokes the opposition. Miller has less of a mean streak than Dubi and his board play pales in comparison, but he is a better goalscorer and possibly the better playmaker as well. I think they both possess elements that are beneficial to any team in this league.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Miller is gritty, but not quite as gritty as Dubi. Dubi is skillfull, but not quite as skillfull as Miller. Both are prone to disappearing, though I believe Miller is on the path towards being more consistent game in and game out.

Both have great leadership qualities (Miller moreso in his past, but you can tell he's a great locker room guy for us already).

Final verdict? I think Miller's offensive upside is just a little better than Dubi's was at that age, plus he's a better skater with more discipline. I'll take Miller.

Antoine Vermette

Jun 6, 2015
Miller seems to be more offensively talented, but Dubi was better defensively. Miller's not bad for the most part, but he still has those brain fart giveaways that happen too often. About equal right now, but Miller has a higher ceiling than Dubi had.

Although Dubi gets brownie points for being so good at pissing off Sid and Ovi, so it's close :)

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
This is a bad comparison that for some reason Ranger fans that don't know one or both of these guys seem to think is a good comparison.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think you are really selling short Dubi.

Miller will be better offensively. He has more natural offensive talent. Dubi is the more complete player and should be a captain. Should have been one in NY and should be one CBJ.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Dubi was less prone to the awful Brain fart...it has higher top end skill...what do u value? Safe or risk?

Dubi took some bad penalties, retaliation and in the offensive zone. He was immature, especially compared to a Cally who was mature beyond his years, that was a factor in captaincy in case anyone wondered.

With Kreider coming up on the LW Dubi was the expendable.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Man I wish we had kept Dubi over Callahan. He was always a gamer in the playoffs. Who knows where we'd be at this point though without that chain of events being set in motion.

I think Miller will be the better player, he's got more offensive upside and it's easier to learn a good defensive game than it is offensive.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
I think Dubi is the best comparison to Miller we have, not saying they're identical players by any means.

Dubi's a pass-first guy, Miller is a shoot-first guy. Dubi plays a strong D game, kills penalties, Miller does not. They don't even play the same position.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I am not so sure I would call JT Miller, who was 8th among regular forwards on the team in shot rate (behind Nash/Stepan/Stalberg/Lindberg/E. Staal/Kreider/Hayes), shoot-first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad