Player Discussion J.T. Miller Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I think he's certainly advancing.

I'm very interested to see where it leads, both this season and next.

I'd love nothing more than if Miller, Hayes and Kreider could all figure it out and give us a season where they're all playing up to their potential.

Your lips to Gods ears.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
for the PO run?

Nash - Stepan - Butch
Lindberg - Brassard - Zuccs
Kreider - Hayes - Miller
Stalberg - Moore - Pallie/Fast

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
But it's always done in a very "I'm saving you all from future heart break matter". Maybe it's just semantics. "We should temper our expectations" is not the same as "I think your expectations are unreasonable".

I think sometimes it's done to avoid some of the heartburn that's come from discussing guys like Miller and McIlrath and even Kreider.

All three of those guys came in with very high expectations and they've had some ups and downs.

Some took a little longer to develop, some took baby steps followed by huge leaps, some have taken two steps forward and one step back, etc.

At various points Kreider has been called a 15 goal scorer and a 35 goal scorer; McIlrath has gone from Shea Weber to waiver fodder to our best defenseman not named McD, etc. etc.

In most cases the truth is usually in the middle. Personally, I tend to keep my mindset on the more conservative side. Early strugges are not a death sentence, and early or sudden success is not an indicator of long-term viability - it usually takes a few seasons for a pattern to develop.

I've seen many kids look lost, only to have them become solid NHL players. I've seen other kids have their best offensive seasons within their first three years in the league, sometimes even their first. With the exception of superstars, it's usually a respectable amount of time before fully knowing a player's niche/production area.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I want to have at least one positive thread up. Seems like he had another really good game.

Yes, I wish Nash is back soon, and I hope the other NY players could show similar performance out there.
Miller has been great for us the past months - a very promising youth.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Miller is making himself a lot of money

cha-ching.gif

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Miller is making himself a lot of money

cha-ching.gif

Also an interesting point and something to keep in mind when talking contract.

He's going to ask for a huge raise, and the Rangers will have to decide how much one very good season is worth to them and/or how much they want to gamble on his future production.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
JT is the man. Not only is he a workhorse and someone who has shown leadership ability at every level previous to the NHL, but he has legitimate skill. Soft hands, knows where to be at all times. He combines some of the soft touch ability of Hayes with the tenacity of Kreider. I could definitely see him being a 60+ point player in the near future.

For the right deal, I think he makes Hayes expendable. Kreider on the other hand, even if he doesn't become the star we all wanted, could be a hell of a third line player if we get the proper depth in our top six.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

He's going to ask for a huge raise, and the Rangers will have to decide how much one very good season is worth to them and/or how much they want to gamble on his future production.

He's still only 22 and only 1 year removed from his ELC. He's the perfect candidate for a bridge contract. 2-3 years at a reasonable price for both sides to prove this year wasn't a fluke and will get a nice contract after that if he continues to perform.

He's not a star player that you want to lock up long term already, he's a guy you want to keep developing and proving he's worth the big contract, but in the meantime he gets a raise and the team keeps his cap hit manageable.

Beyond all that, he's been playing well. He's always going to make some dumb mistakes here and there but if he becomes a 20 goal scorer on the reg then you live with those mistakes

e: I don't think any of Miller, Hayes, or Kreider makes anyone else expendable...the Rangers don't have the luxery of picking and choosing with those guys right now. They can't afford to ditch any of them if they want to remain competitive. They need to find a way to keep them all in the short term at least. They have no replacement for these guys and an UFA replacement is going to cost just as much.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Great point. I think you totally have to take a gamble on him, assuming his demands are reasonable. This is exactly what you signed up for with a first round pick - a player who has the potential to break out and become a star in his early 20s. Rangers need to take that chance here.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Great point. I think you totally have to take a gamble on him, assuming his demands are reasonable. This is exactly what you signed up for with a first round pick - a player who has the potential to break out and become a star in his early 20s. Rangers need to take that chance here.

I agree, Miller has put in his dues more than most any other young player on the roster. He's dominated the AHL, he's played up and down the lineup. If by the end of the season he's in the top-6, I think you aim for a deal spanning 4-6 years before the price goes up.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I agree, Miller has put in his dues more than most any other young player on the roster. He's dominated the AHL, he's played up and down the lineup. If by the end of the season he's in the top-6, I think you aim for a deal spanning 4-6 years before the price goes up.

I think you have two choices really...a 6+ year deal and just hope it doesn't bite you in the ass, or a 2-3 year deal so he's still a RFA when it's over. Not sure if a 4 year deal would put him at UFA but basically you don't want to buy up the rest of his RFA years and leave him exposed as an UFA as soon as possible (assuming he continues to be a good player)

But whatever, I suspect it'll be a bridge contract but we'll see

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Gotta be a bridge for JT.

Let me expand... If it had to be today, I'd bridge him without question. Considering his stats and tendencies from past seasons, this is a meteoric rise for JT Miller. He's unquestionably hot right now. Probably been the best Rangers forward for a month now. Definitely the one who seems to be "bringing it" on a nightly basis.

Let's see him keep it up consistently before we go and throw a 4 or 5 year deal at him. He has that sort of flavor as a player that can see him fizzle just as quick as he caught fire.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Wow, just realized he is only 22 still.

Very happy with his development this season.

It really does feel like he's been around forever, but that's because he made his NYR debut at age 19. (I was at the game where he scored his first two goals against the Isles, although I missed his first :( ) Age 22 is around the time most NHL'ers begin their career. JT was drafted two years after Kreider and one year after McL.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
2nd on the team in P/60 (2.13), only behind Rick Nash (2.17).

vot84S.gif

Pretty sure Raspewtin called this kid having a good season.

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Depends on the contract.

Miller may not even want to sign long term if he feels he can make more overall money by taking a series of shorter deals.

I'd like to see the Rangers just commit long term, less cap available for the next less than ideal UFA they want to sign.

Rather see them make a mistake by signing someone that should be in their prime who never reaches his potential than make a mistake on a player on the decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad