Jágr vs Lafleur

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Still Jagr, still easily.

And Trottier was a better overall player than Lafleur at their peaks, too. :D

Although Guy was a magnificent talent in his own right and in the perfect situation to maximize his talents in Montreal.

*dons the old flame-proof gear*

habsjunkie2*

Still Jagr, still easily.

And Trottier was a better overall player than Lafleur at their peaks, too. :D

Although Guy was a magnificent talent in his own right and in the perfect situation to maximize his talents in Montreal.

*dons the old flame-proof gear*

Gotta agree, Jagr for me. Something about the Mystique of Lafleur seems to prop him up on many peoples list. Not on mine. JJ rather easily.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Jagr was on the worse teams.

He had Lemieux but for a fraction of his career.

Though not sure how great those 70 Habs teams are without Lafleur I think they still manage to win Cups.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
To me, this is actually a very close comparison. As others have mentioned though, I usually prefer Jagr, though its extremely close.

JazzRockford

Jun 13, 2011
Kiruna, Norrbotten
Yeah, Jagr got the upper hand. Their prime years are comparable - basically, Lafleur were stronger in the playoffs while Jagr probably had stronger competition for his scoring titles - but Jagr have the longveity edge.

Jagr is generally underrated.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Lafleur had far better defenders feeding him puck. He played against inferior goalies (equipment-wise at the very least).

The goalies Lafleur played against were only inferior when it came to equipment.

Lafleur, while the goalies may have had less to work with, also had far less to work with technology wise than Jagr did. Lafleur has inferior sticks, skates, gloves, pads etc, less advanced training and nutrition technology and knowledge.

OnlyTheBrave*

I like how Wings fans are now commenting on Jagr, trying to get into the good graces with him with these current rumors flying around, lol.

But yeah, Jagr for me too.

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
Jagr's stats:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/j/jagrja01.html

The 123 point season that you refer to is the is the 2005-06 season under the new "anti-obstruction" rules. However notice the decline the next two seasons as the league adapted to playing Jagr under the new rules. Fairly easy to do since Jagr was not going to change.

I am comfortably into my sixties and have watched hockey since the early mid fifties. Saw players like Lafleur, Dionne,since their bantam days and Montreal raised players like Bourque, Bossy, Brodeur, Luongo, Lemieux, Parent and others since their very early youth hockey days - novice, etc.

What Crosby did is independent of what Ovechkin did and why he was limited in his effectiveness. Limiting Crosby requires a far different approach then Ovechkin. Similarly playing Lafleur required a different approach than playing Jagr.

Jagr scored 96 points in 06-07 despite the fact that he was still recovering from separating his shoulder in the playoffs and had major surgery. He could barely shoot for the first half the season and when he did his slap shot was pathetic. Once he full recovered he looked as good as he had the year before.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
This is not entirely true though it is fair to say that Jagr faced better goalies in his prime.

During his 6-year peak Lafleur met the following goaltenders (They sometimes split games and I didn't have the time to look up the individual boxscores therefore I have some duos on this list.) :

1975 : Gary Smith and Desjardins/Crozier
1976 : Tony Esposito, Resch/B.Smith and Wayne Stephenson
1977 : Johnston/Staniowski, Resch/B.Smith and Gerry Cheevers
1978 : Low/Rutherford, Mike Palmeeter and Gerry Cheevers
1979 : Mike Palmeeter, Cheevers/Gilbert and John Davidson
1980 : Smith/Garrett and Meloche/Edwards

So we have 3 Hall of Famers in Cheevers (Not known for getting shut-outs), Esposito (Not the best reputation in the post season) and Billy Smith who wasn't the monster he'd become later.

Now lets see the goalies Jaromir Jagr faced whenever he played more than one round of playoff hockey. I'll start at 1995 because I feel this was really his emergance as a superstar.

1995 : Jim Carey and Martin Brodeur
1996 : Olaf Kolzig, Mike Richter and John Vanbiesbrouck
1999 : Martin Brodeur and Curtis Joseph
2000 : Olaf Kolzig and Brian Boucher
2001 : Olaf Kolzig, Dominic Hasek and Martin Brodeur
2007 : Lethonen/Hedberg and Ryan Miller
2008 : Martin Brodeur and Marc-Andre Fleury

Suprisingly we have only 2 Hall of Famers here but probably the greatest of all time as well as 4 goalies you could put in the Hall of the Very Good. He faced surefire Hall of Famer Brodeur 4 times alone.

But isn't Cheevers always considered a bad induction? I thought I read that a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad