IX. General Stars Talk Always Lands on its Feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
These are the same arguments that are used against Zubov. When I think of the era there were four best teams and everybody else. Modano and Zubov (whom I put on relatively equal footing career/peak/playoffs) were the two best players on one of the best teams for a decade of hockey. Neither got the recognition they deserved while they were playing and that same lack of respect is what has been/will be used against them when it comes to the HHoF.

Modano will get in, though it might not be as a first ballot guy. Zubov might get in...eventually. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

Sadly, I think Zubov has no chance of getting in, which is a shame since I consider him a better player (I'm not going to even argue over this can of worms).

Honestly, after looking at some of the guys eligible for induction, it's a pretty ****** list after Hasek and Forsberg, so if Modano is first ballot I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
He never won a single award, which is not great (though I'm sure the hall will operate as if he won the Calder). He got one second team all-star award, and that's about it. His individual accolades are mediocre at best, if he gets in it's because he happened to be American and holds the records for highest scoring American in the game. I'm sure he will get in, but if he isn't first ballot I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

I really hope that's not criteria for inclusion, east coast bias gives a huge edge to Eastern players. Awards in Hockey are usually a joke, only one award matters, and he got one one of those.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
Mmm.
Just went back and watched the clincher game highlights.
The Daley goal, when he is about to go all out on his celebration, sees Nuke, and celebrates with the team instead... ;__;

By the way, I think it would be super cool to have a fan map on the Stars fan thread. Like where people live or whatever, just have a map on the first post that uses the data from the thread (Assuming where you live is a thing on that thread, I can't even find it). Maybe green dots (or Stars :3) to pinpoint locations and ****.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
Shoot, I almost forgot how happy I am to have Lindy as a coach.

[NHL]601802[/NHL]

Can't wait for some Stars action to start rolling around again.

Ampersand

These are the same arguments that are used against Zubov. When I think of the era there were four best teams and everybody else. Modano and Zubov (whom I put on relatively equal footing career/peak/playoffs) were the two best players on one of the best teams for a decade of hockey. Neither got the recognition they deserved while they were playing and that same lack of respect is what has been/will be used against them when it comes to the HHoF.

Modano will get in, though it might not be as a first ballot guy. Zubov might get in...eventually. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

Dallas, Detroit, Colorado, and ?New Jersey?

Ampersand

Yes. It's a very clear group too, head and shoulders above the rest.

Yeah I agree, I just tend to overlook NJ. It's always been DAl DET & COL that I held in high regard. Stephens and Brodeur were beasts though.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Yeah I agree, I just tend to overlook NJ. It's always been DAl DET & COL that I held in high regard. Stephens and Brodeur were beasts though.

That's funny. I think most would agree that Dallas was the "4th team" of that group. Devils won 3 Cups and lost in Game 7 of the SCF against Colorado.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Yeah, Dallas is definitely the 4th team in that grouping, in fact, NJ was probably the most successful team of that era, with Detroit being 2nd, Colorado 3rd, and Dallas as 4th.

MetalGodAOD*

Dunno if these quotes ever have been posted, but Larry Brooks did a nice feature on Henrik Lundqvist today. Apparently we were very close to drafting him in the 6th round in 2000, but went with Ladislav Vlcek instead....

“I mean, all my buddies had been taken and were kind of looking at me. We were all sitting in the same row. Nobody knew exactly how to act or what to say. It was kind of like, ‘Come on, Hank.’ It was not a great feeling,” The King said. “Then after the fifth round, someone from Dallas said since they’d taken my brother, they were going to take me in the sixth round.”

Twenty-one goaltenders had been selected, including Rick DiPietro first overall by the Islanders. The Rangers had drafted Union College netminder Brandon Snee in the fifth round, 143rd overall. Calgary had taken Brent Krahn with the ninth overall selection. The Stars had selected Dan Ellis 60th overall.

But now, it was coming up on Dallas’ turn at No. 169.

“I was really excited,” Lundqvist said. “I starting moving up to the edge of my seat, thinking I would hear my name. I remember hearing, ‘Dallas selects….’

He heard, “Dallas selects from Poldi Kladno of the Czech League … right wing Ladislav Vlcek.”

“It seemed like such a long time before they said his name,” Lundqvist said. “I didn’t know what to do.”

http://nypost.com/2014/06/02/the-incredible-saga-of-how-rangers-lucked-upon-lundqvist/

Ouch!

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
So we were trading for Luongo (from his first run in Florida) before it broke down/Vancouver grabbed him and we were going to draft Lundqvist but picked someone else instead.....leaving us stuck with Turco. Cool. :help::help:

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
On the subject of missed trades, I remember seeing a video where a previous GM for Columbus said that a trade was in place that would send Zherdev to Dallas for Morrow. This was like in the mid 00s when he wouldn't sign. 03 I think?

And, of course, Carter for Daley and a 1st.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
On the subject of missed trades, I remember seeing a video where a previous GM for Columbus said that a trade was in place that would send Zherdev to Dallas for Morrow. This was like in the mid 00s when he wouldn't sign. 03 I think?

And, of course, Carter for Daley and a 1st.

It's an impossible situation to say for sure, but that Carter trade potentially costs you Val Nichushkin. The pick was conditional, and Columbus chose 2013. LA won the Cup so maybe they take Dallas' 2012 but who knows.

Plus, I don't think Carter changes the fortune of the team too much, but he might have made them better than 10th.

Regardless ... pretty happy they don't do that trade. Daley still has very good value, and Nichushkin is pretty awesome.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's an impossible situation to say for sure, but that Carter trade potentially costs you Val Nichushkin. The pick was conditional, and Columbus chose 2013. LA won the Cup so maybe they take Dallas' 2012 but who knows.

Plus, I don't think Carter changes the fortune of the team too much, but he might have made them better than 10th.

Regardless ... pretty happy they don't do that trade. Daley still has very good value, and Nichushkin is pretty awesome.

...And Jeff Carter is four wins away from his second Stanley Cup in three years. :laugh:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
...And Jeff Carter is four wins away from his second Stanley Cup in three years. :laugh:

Yeah ... but he wouldn't be in Dallas. LA needed a goal scorer to get over the hump. Dallas is probably still missing the playoffs the first couple of years he was here. I don't think he'd have anywhere near the impact of Seguin, and Benn wasn't going to break out any earlier with him on the roster ... not likely.

I was a bit hopeful for that trade when Carter was getting shopped. Dallas desperately needed high end players so I'm not saying it was bad idea at the time. It just happened to work out perfectly for LA and Dallas.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Won't lie, he kind of soured on me after the act he pulled with Columbus. Sure, there can't be many who would be happy going from Philly to Columbus (at the time), but be a pro about it at least.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad