IX. General Stars Talk Always Lands on its Feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalGodAOD*

A month later Dillon is still wearing a boot on his leg. Pretty obvious why he wasn't himself in the playoffs:

BogF_ErIEAADGqa.jpg:large

Brand New Stars

That's on him for rushing back and basically being the cause of a loss all by himself. Not a fan of that.

MetalGodAOD*

That's on him for rushing back and basically being the cause of a loss all by himself. Not a fan of that.

Coaches have a say in it too. It shows how little faith they had in KConn and Gonchar. If the coaches had better depth options, it wouldn't have been necessary.

Brand New Stars

That's true to an extent, but they can't feel what the player does. The player needs to say if he really thinks he'll help the team or not.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
That's true to an extent, but they can't feel what the player does. The player needs to say if he really thinks he'll help the team or not.

I can't really fault a player for wanting to play, and he will probably think he will improve the team and play great. IMO it's up to the coach and the medical staff to evaluate if he is good to go.

Brand New Stars

How many NHL players wouldn't try to come back though? He was pretty terrible when he rushed back. Better than Rome yes, but not sure about the others.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Eh, he also missed two weeks of hockey and he was thrown into his first ever NHL playoffs. It could have just as easily been rust that made him look so bad. I'm looking long term and him getting into even just a couple games is good experience.

Brand New Stars

Oh I'm not denying that rust probably played a part. It's doubtful his foot made him whiff on a pass behind the net in his most memorable bad play of the playoffs. The injury definitely contributed to the overall level of play though, as evidenced by him still not being healed up.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
LMAO at Craig Ludwig ...

Mike Modano ‏@9modano

“@HaggarCo: @HaggarCEO and @HaggarPrez this morning in our headquarters. #HaggarSports pic.twitter.com/1qCAHLvwZ3†thanks for having me.

BowW0BVCQAAftNc.png

Ludwig's comment:

craig ludwig ‏@taz3311

@9modano good for you more free ****....

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
looking at that list of non-hall-of-famers, i can easily see how modano wouldn't get there on a first ballot. his nhl career isn't head-and-shoulders above guys like housley, mogilny, roenick, tkachuk, turgeon, etc. he also really wasn't a true generational kind of talent and didn't display tremendous leadership or personality. to me, the only external factor in modano's favor is his status as arguably the best us-born player ever.

forsberg was one of those hockey freaks. he was a top 5 player most every year he played. that, plus he likely is the best swedish player ever, won multiple stanley cups, and led sweden to olympic gold twice.

i love modano as much as the next guy, but i tend to agree that he won't get in the hall this first year.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
looking at that list of non-hall-of-famers, i can easily see how modano wouldn't get there on a first ballot. his nhl career isn't head-and-shoulders above guys like housley, mogilny, roenick, tkachuk, turgeon, etc. he also really wasn't a true generational kind of talent and didn't display tremendous leadership or personality. to me, the only external factor in modano's favor is his status as arguably the best us-born player ever.

forsberg was one of those hockey freaks. he was a top 5 player most every year he played. that, plus he likely is the best swedish player ever, won multiple stanley cups, and led sweden to olympic gold twice.

i love modano as much as the next guy, but i tend to agree that he won't get in the hall this first year.

I disagree. Modano WAS markedly better than all of those guys you listed. I won't tediously list all of the reasons why for each. But Modano was the best and most consistent two-way center in the game, or certainly in the top 3 discussion, for a generation of hockey. He may be considered slightly below Joe Sakic, but it shouldn't be by much.

He was better than a point a game player for over a decade (1992-93 – 2002-03) a top 10 selke finalist for half of those years (top 6 for 4), and top 20 the rest. I honestly cannot see how anyone can not consider Modano a generational talent. The combination of speed, sniping, playmaking, and phenomenal defense made him if not singular then in very elite company. Federov, Sakic, Modano is how I remember it.

Why is it when we come to HHOF conversations everything returns to "how many points"?

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
He never won a single award, which is not great (though I'm sure the hall will operate as if he won the Calder). He got one second team all-star award, and that's about it. His individual accolades are mediocre at best, if he gets in it's because he happened to be American and holds the records for highest scoring American in the game. I'm sure he will get in, but if he isn't first ballot I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He never won a single award, which is not great (though I'm sure the hall will operate as if he won the Calder). He got one second team all-star award, and that's about it. His individual accolades are mediocre at best, if he gets in it's because he happened to be American and holds the records for highest scoring American in the game. I'm sure he will get in, but if he isn't first ballot I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

These are the same arguments that are used against Zubov. When I think of the era there were four best teams and everybody else. Modano and Zubov (whom I put on relatively equal footing career/peak/playoffs) were the two best players on one of the best teams for a decade of hockey. Neither got the recognition they deserved while they were playing and that same lack of respect is what has been/will be used against them when it comes to the HHoF.

Modano will get in, though it might not be as a first ballot guy. Zubov might get in...eventually. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
These are the same arguments that are used against Zubov. When I think of the era there were four best teams and everybody else. Modano and Zubov (whom I put on relatively equal footing career/peak/playoffs) were the two best players on one of the best teams for a decade of hockey. Neither got the recognition they deserved while they were playing and that same lack of respect is what has been/will be used against them when it comes to the HHoF.

Modano will get in, though it might not be as a first ballot guy. Zubov might get in...eventually. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

Sundin was a first ballot guy. Modano really really should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad