Player Discussion: Ivan Provorov

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Didnt see him play this year. I do see 6 goals in 41 for a very low % of PP success so killing it seems a bit heavy.
i see he plays 23+ mins. Its too many. Lets wait a few more weeks. Not sour at all on that trade. You think you resign him for 7 mil+?
If you haven’t seen him play this year, how do you know it’s too many minutes?

Hes been perfectly fine in his current role. Hell, as Major said, he should probably get a bigger role on the PP.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Didnt see him play this year. I do see 6 goals in 41 for a very low % of PP success so killing it seems a bit heavy.

He plays in PP2, which has played a lot less and produced much more. The issue with PP is Werenski playing PP1. And of course Laine being injured.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He's actually pulling about 10 P/60 on the PP, because he's only playing limited second PP minutes. That's one of the highest numbers of any D in the league.

i see he plays 23+ mins. Its too many. Lets wait a few more weeks. Not sour at all on that trade. You think you resign him for 7 mil+?

We can figure that out later. He's playing really well right now.

I'm aware that he's struggled in recent years in Philly, that's not particularly relevant right now.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
He's actually pulling about 10 P/60 on the PP, because he's only playing limited second PP minutes. That's one of the highest numbers of any D in the league.

We can figure that out later. He's playing really well right now.

I'm aware that he's struggled in recent years in Philly, that's not particularly relevant right now.

Yup, it's a win-win-win. Flyers wanted rid of him, Jackets are happy to have him and he seems to be thriving.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Do you still believe these things?

Why are you passing future as of today?

When did Jiricek hit his prime or Mateychuk suddenly leave the juniors?

Honestly try a bit …ng harder

& yes with prime Werenski/Jiricek/Mateychuk the defense has potential to match up very well against Eastern teams

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Why are you passing future as of today?

You said Werenski, Provorov, and Bean were one of the best LD trios in the league. Do you still believe that? That doesn’t sound like a projection of the future. Werenski is 26. Provorov turns 27 next month. Bean is 25.

Reactions: Napoli

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You said Werenski, Provorov, and Bean were one of the best LD trios in the league. Do you still believe that? That doesn’t sound like a projection of the future. Werenski is 26. Provorov turns 27 next month. Bean is 25.

You brought up a list with Jiricek on the top pair and Mateychuk in the lineup, where does Mateychuk play this year. You have no skills to project which honestly isn’t surprising

& healthy LD is the least of the problem for the team

- Coaching
-Gaudreau/Laine
-RD
- C group

Are well ahead of issues with the team this year but you’re right the LD is why they are at the bottom…

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
You brought up a list with Jiricek on the top pair and Mateychuk in the lineup, where does Mateychuk play this year. You have no skills to project which honestly isn’t surprising

& healthy LD is the least of the problem for the team

- Coaching
-Gaudreau/Laine
-RD
- C group

Are well ahead of issues with the team this year but you’re right the LD is why they are at the bottom…

I honestly dont understand what you are saying here. All I am wondering is if you still feel the same way you did in October. One of the things you said, in your interesting vertical posting style, was

”Suddenly when you think about it

Werenski
Provorov
Bean
Has to be among the best LD trios in the league with Carolinas.”

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I honestly dont understand what you are saying here. All I am wondering is if you still feel the same way you did in October. One of the things you said, in your interesting vertical posting style, was

”Suddenly when you think about it

Werenski
Provorov
Bean
Has to be among the best LD trios in the league with Carolinas.”

Well you brought up a list that wasn’t even possible for this season as me saying they’ll have an elite defense this year.

& you wonder why you are lost.

& we don’t know and won’t have a clue how the LD trio would match up other teams, there’s too many major flaws in the roster for this season.
But yes I can say safely that the LD group isn’t why they won’t make the playoffs.

Now on I’ll just assume you are trolling and will skip the posts and you try to put words into my mouth

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Well you brought up a list that wasn’t even possible for this season as me saying they’ll have an elite defense this year.

& you wonder why you are lost.

& we don’t know and won’t have a clue how the LD trio would match up other teams, there’s too many major flaws in the roster for this season.
But yes I can say safely that the LD group isn’t why they won’t make the playoffs.

Now on I’ll just assume you are trolling and will skip the posts and you try to put words into my mouth

I brought up 2 separate quotes by you. I was just wondering if you still believed in either one. It was a simple question. I don’t know how I am putting words in your mouth when I am quoting you.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Provorov is a top liner and most likely the best defenseman on the team.
My main complaint is I just wish he wasnt so confident making plays/passes right in front of his own net. He goes through spurts where he is a turnover machine and then spurts of playing clean solid hockey.

Hes been less of a threat to score than I expected but I think thats partly system based, hes been overall a positive and im pretty happy with that move.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I am just a hockey dad who lives in Columbus who spends a lot of time watching defenses because my kids all played defense. I don’t know why you think I am trolling. The Jackets defense is bad. It fails the eye test, and it fails the objective measures test. There are three teams with worse goals against averages - the Sharks, the Hawks, and the Senators. I’m legit curious if BB88 still agrees with some quotes made a few months ago that are positive about our defense.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Provorov is 5th in team scoring as a defenseman and he plays 23 minutes a night
I say that’s pretty good for the AAV we’re paying him now which is $1m less than what Gavrikov makes in LA

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
CBJ Reddit has been complaining a lot about Provorov lately. I think this board has the more proper view of him. He’s been worse defensively playing with Peeke, sure, but who wouldn’t be? I think overall he’s been a great addition to the team, and he’s been much less mistake prone than even Werenski, who has not been good defensively.

Provorov has been reliable on both sides of the ice and definitely better than he was in Philly.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
CBJ Reddit has been complaining a lot about Provorov lately. I think this board has the more proper view of him. He’s been worse defensively playing with Peeke, sure, but who wouldn’t be? I think overall he’s been a great addition to the team, and he’s been much less mistake prone than even Werenski, who has not been good defensively.

Provorov has been reliable on both sides of the ice and definitely better than he was in Philly.

Reactions: VT

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Makes MANY questionable decisions all over the ice. Different style, but, NOT better than Werenski.

I see him as an asset to trade, and it will be interesting to see what we will/could get, as I still believe both he and Severson were not the greatest fits on defense, and I look at Mateychuk as the better player.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Makes MANY questionable decisions all over the ice. Different style, but, NOT better than Werenski.

I see him as an asset to trade, and it will be interesting to see what we will/could get, as I still believe both he and Severson were not the greatest fits on defense, and I look at Mateychuk as the better player.
Again, it’s nearly impossible to find an experienced guy playing first pair minutes and scoring at a really good rate for $4.7m a year, so we win this regardless. Or anyone would rather have a defensive dman Gavrikov at $5.8m a year ?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Again, it’s nearly impossible to find an experienced guy playing first pair minutes and scoring at a really good rate for $4.7m a year, so we win this regardless. Or anyone would rather have a defensive dman Gavrikov at $5.8m a year ?

I think we'd be better off (and much more balanced) with Gavrikov. Our shutdown options are limited. The difference in cap hit isn't that important.

But I think Provorov has been a positive overall. Too many lazy failed clears lately though, he's got to step it up.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think we'd be better off (and much more balanced) with Gavrikov. Our shutdown options are limited. The difference in cap hit isn't that important.

But I think Provorov has been a positive overall. Too many lazy failed clears lately though, he's got to step it up.
I couldn’t agree more on this. Where Jarmo crashed the landing was in essence trading Gavrikov for Severson, a worse player signed to a worse deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00