Player Discussion: Ivan Provorov

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
4 games played - 3 assists - playing big minutes so far

Thought he had a rough debut game but has settled in ever since. Either him or Jake Bean have probably our best defenseman so far this year. He’s a very solid skater and I think he’s been a calming influence on young Jiricek when paired together.

It’s early, both in his CBJ tenure and into the season, but is Provorov a piece then jackets should look to keep long term? Or will guys like Svozil or Mateychuk force him out before the end of his contract?

Last edited:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Way to early for me to speculate. But, I've been happy what I've seen so far. (Admittedly, last night was the first game I watched in its entirety due to work stuff)

Reactions: CBJx614

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Still need to see more but he's growing on me fast. I've been ok with Jiricek next to him too although I think Jiricek plays with Werenski in time. Just keep Boqvist away from him. Good addition.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

Thought he had a rough debut game but has settled in ever since. Either him or Jake Bean have probably our best defenseman this year so far this year. He’s a very solid skater and I think he’s been a calming influence on young Jiricek when paired together.

It’s early, both in his CBJ tenure and into the season, but is Provorov a piece then jackets should look to keep long term? Or will guys like Svozil or Mateychuk force him out before the end of his contract?
He’s been as good as I expected he would be, so I’m happy as I can be with him as a player. As for an extension, in my mind, it depends on Werenski’s health. Poor guy can’t stay healthy. But regardless of that, I think it would be reasonable to extend Provorov with an increased cap coming, especially since we can more or less just use what is currently used as Gudbranson’s cap.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023

Thought he had a rough debut game but has settled in ever since. Either him or Jake Bean have probably our best defenseman so far this year. He’s a very solid skater and I think he’s been a calming influence on young Jiricek when paired together.

I think he's this team's best overall defenseman. That's not to say he's a bonafide #1, he's not, I don't think that exists on this team. But, he's been very reliable and makes a lot of good decisions which is rare for this D core.

It will be interesting how he progresses, I would like to keep him long term though, reliable d men are difficult to find.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Mateychuks development will play a massive part in what will or should happen with Provorov.

If Mateychuk develops well Provorovs money will likely go to the kids 2nd contracts and they could easily return the assets they lost in that Flyers trade.

Or they’ll have a chance at re-signing a quality top4 for a long time. Either way is fine by me and the defense really isn’t a worry for the next 5 years

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Until I see the defense consistently be able to play defense, it is a big worry for me.

They’ve spend big money on it and 3 of the 4 best prospects are Dmen.

I just don’t think they are going to go for more outside help rather bet on internal growth.

There’s too much talent(potential) to completely mess it up

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Have you met the Jackets?
Jarmo-Kekalainen.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Too early to judge anyone on this team in my opinion but we're seeing glimpses that might support they will be dramatically better in all facets this year. They still have to get into a mode where the new system isn't thought about and becomes natural. For some, I think they've blended/learned already, for others it's the little things. Provorov has been very good. Bean has been well above expectation. Can they stay there or even continue to improve? That's what I'm looking for. As the other players settle in and connect with the system structure, everyone, in theory, should get better.

Reactions: VT

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No, but this team has had issues developing defensemen. It has also had issues with rushing young talented kids to their detriment.

Did they mess up Werenski?

Did Jones not flourish in Columbus?

What prospects are they now rushing or in fear of rushing?
They got Provorov& Severson just for that reason, to have legit top4 Dmen and be able to shelter kids.
Jiricek spend his entire +1 season basically in the AHL learning NA style, they send Mateychuk back to the juniors for his +2 season even when he has pretty damm close to earning a spot.

So why now are we exactly crying about the past once again?

Vincent gets the props for Severson's improved play. I wouldn't give Jarmo props for an 8 year deal for this guy.

At times when you want talent you need to pay for talent.

But I guess they shouldn’t have gone for quality, even if that was what about every fan was crying about last season and the last couple offseasons.
& when they actually do something about it guess what they did something wrong again.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
At times when you want talent you need to pay for talent.

But I guess they shouldn’t have gone for quality, even if that was what about every fan was crying about last season and the last couple offseasons.
& when they actually do something about it guess what they did something wrong again.

Maybe something got lost so here is my post again:

Vincent gets the props for Severson's improved play. I wouldn't give Jarmo props for an 8 year deal for this guy.

You came up with and assumed a lot of things that didn't come from my post. You will not find one post from me objecting to Seversons signing nor the Provorovs trade. Fact: I hated last season and was happy with the moves. Nor will you find a post of mine that says I think Severson has sucked or playing bad. There is also no post that I said he was overpaid. The only thing I said is bolded above. I didn't think Jarmo should have signed him for 8 years and I still don't.

The rest is on you not me.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Maybe something got lost so here is my post again:

You came up with and assumed a lot of things that didn't come from my post. You will not find one post from me objecting to Seversons signing nor the Provorovs trade. Fact: I hated last season and was happy with the moves. Nor will you find a post of mine that says I think Severson has sucked or playing bad. There is also no post that I said he was overpaid. The only thing I said is bolded above. I didn't think Jarmo should have signed him for 8 years and I still don't.

The rest is on you not me.

You don’t see the problem with your thinking?

This place expected& demanded them to address the defense, get quality players over Gubransons of the world

I’m sorry to say but no quality Dman is coming to Columbus on a 3-5 year deal, they are getting the term.
So if you want the quality players you need to be willing to pay, if you’re not then you’re not getting the quality players

So want quality players and want them on short(er)term team friendly deals= living in fantasy land. These players aren’t leaving 10/10+ million on the table

Offer Severson 5-6 year deal and he’s never coming to Columbus

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You don’t see the problem with your thinking?

This place expected& demanded them to address the defense, get quality players over Gubransons of the world

I’m sorry to say but no quality Dman is coming to Columbus on a 3-5 year deal, they are getting the term.
So if you want the quality players you need to be willing to pay, if you’re not then you’re not getting the quality players

So want quality players and want them on short(er)term team friendly deals= living in fantasy land. These players aren’t leaving 10/10+ million on the table

Offer Severson 5-6 year deal and he’s never coming to Columbus

What I see is that you have a problem with the way I'm thinking.

You are reading way too much into this from a simple comment. We will never know if he would have signed for less years or not and at this point it's moot. An 8 year term is too long of a time to commit to someone who isn't a young player with star potential or a franchise player or even a star player. If you don't believe that it's okay.

This is Provorovs thread anyway.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What I see is that you have a problem with the way I'm thinking.

You are reading way too much into this from a simple comment. We will never know if he would have signed for less years or not and at this point it's moot. An 8 year term is too long of a time to commit to someone who isn't a young player with star potential or a franchise player or even a star player. If you don't believe that it's okay.

This is Provorovs thread anyway.

If you object to the term, you object to the signing. Which is a fine opinion to have. I wouldn't have offered 7 or 8 years either.

Reactions: Byrral

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I spend a lot of time at rinks in Columbus and a little bit of time in rinks in other Ohio cities, and I know plenty of what I would call intelligent hockey fan season ticket holders. Most of the people I know were 100% ok with another season of tanking because the East was too good. I don’t take this message board as reflective of CBJ fans in general or people who feel like they have an investment in the team. It is a group of individuals with varying opinions. I come here to see the varying opinions.

I don’t know anyone that liked giving 8 years to Severson. I’d say 60% of the people I talk to outside of this board thought we overpaid for Provorov and the other 40% think we are ok because we can get the first back next year.

I think the jury is still out in this team. We won a few games early with a new coach and everyone rallying around the whole Babcock weirdness. Let’s wait about 30 games before we say anything about the acquisitions. Heck, 30 games from now Sillinger might be our leading scorer and we’ll be arguing about extending him or Martin might be the starting goalie and looking pretty good and we’ll be arguing whether to extend him or trade him at the deadline.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio

Compared to what we saw last season he should be in the Hall of Fame

Reactions: Napoli

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Compared to what we saw last season he should be in the Hall of Fame
My thoughts as well.

Provorov is such an upgrade from pretty much everyone we saw last year he looks like a true star defenseman. It's just nice to have a somewhat reliable top 4. Even the other two guys Bean and Gudbranson are playing ok (Bean exceeding expectations). But I'd argue that's because they're finally in their correct spots in the lineup, on the third pair.

Reactions: LJ7

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3