Its time for Daryl Sutter to be fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side

" It is believed a deteriorating relationship with Sutter played a major role in the GM’s decision, that the two could not continue working together and really hadn’t communicated well in some time. If Sutter didn’t have an extension, maybe the outcome is different."

Narcissist doing narcissist things. Preaches teamwork on the ice, yet there is only an I with how he conducts himself. Massive hypocrite, cannot work with people yet has totally seduced ownership. The day this man is fired will be a very good day for this team. Until then, we're f***ed. If Sutter wore on the GM, imagine the players who had to deal with him everyday?
Needed to hire Jay Feaster to act as the in between.

Geezus, wasn’t this the same issue between Darryl and Brent?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Funny how folks think so many players want out due to the coach. Many players have had career years under Sutter's tutelage (Andersson, Kylington, Dube, Mangiapane, Toffoli, Backlund, Coleman, Hanifin, Zadorov, Markstrom). A couple have parlayed those years into big contracts. No doubt others will have long and fruitful careers thanks to their time playing for Sutter.

Players may not like his methods but they know he cares for them and wants the best for them and out of them. So I doubt there is a locker room uprising.

Expressions of "I'm not sure if I'll extend, etc." are the result of a long and hard year. Players are physically and mentally exhausted and bitter about how the season went. Give they time to decompress, cool-off, and otherwise relax, then ask them.

When the Flames hired Sutter they knew full well what type of coach they are getting. And they knew full well that he wasn't going to be lured back for a team re-build. He wants to win.

So I feel it will come down to whether ownership wants to re-build or re-tool.

If a re-build, Sutter will get moved upstairs. If a re-tool, a careful introduction of youth from the farm and a strategic move to acquire a finisher (that may precipiate back-fill by a Wranger graduate).

I also feel Kirk Muller should be fired.

That was last year, but this year, there was this air of burnout, fatigue and concern that was very obvious. The team didn't play loose. If you play stiff, you have no swagger, the puck luck seems to go the other way... we used to call this concept snake bit and in some senses, I kept feeling like the whole team was like that. The team was tired and IMO it possibly didn't help that there seemed to be quite a few new dads on the roster.

Seriously speaking, 1-2 additional games this season and it's a slightly different story on paper. The margins were thin on this one.

I don't think it's purely Sutter losing the room on this one. It's something else that Sutter likes doing that is possibly burning out the players. This might be why there are many players that have career years and accomplishments from Sutter, and then there's a sudden cratering of overall team performance.

I think Sutter was a guy we needed a few seasons earlier in the Ward/Peters era. I also think he might be a guy we need to get rid of a few seasons earlier now (per his extension). Right coach, wrong time.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Off topic, but is anyone else getting linked to ads all over the forums now? I'm running adblocker and it still sends me to sites when I am trying to navigate around.

No, but I keep getting ads for women’s lingerie on my phone.

Reactions: Deen

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No, but I keep getting ads for women’s lingerie on my phone.

Fashion recommendations for when you meet the celebrities that excite you?

Be happy social media doesn't think you are excited by Sutter. You'd be sent links for overalls for days.

• Haha
Reactions: super6646

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Keeping a hall of fame coach who crushed the league in analytics and missed the playoffs due to putrid early goaltending and statistical anomalies?
His system failed and he lost the room.

Sure they outshoot their opponents but they literally shoot from everywhere. There’s zero cycling the puck, zero skill and zero brains. It’s just brainless putting pucks on net, even from their skilled players and it’s been a massive failure.

He has absolutely made no adjustments. Putting Nick Ritchie out there in the shootout that ruined their season is the epitome of how bad Sutter has been.

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
I don’t think Sutter lost the room. They were 3 wins away from making the playoffs without a doubt, that’s 3 wins they failed to get against the leagues worst team, the Blackhawks. The reason why I say he hadn’t lost the room is when I look at 3 games in particular.
1) the 4-3 loss game against the Bruins on Feb 28, which they absolutely should have won, but lost in OT. Their coach even said his heart goes out to them.

2) their win in Dallas early March and 3) the gutsy win they picked up in Minnesota the next night after that Dallas win.

In my opinion, if Sutter had lost the room, the team would have put forth such gritty efforts.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
This is just odd that end of season was a week ago and there has not been an end of season coach presser. I get that Treliving leaving changes a lot of things but Are they just hoping to get away without him facing the music?

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
This is just odd that end of season was a week ago and there has not been an end of season coach presser. I get that Treliving leaving changes a lot of things but Are they just hoping to get away without him facing the music?
According to Maloney the other day, Sutter had a family commitment on Tuesday so they were waiting to have the coach meeting. Likely happened on Wednesday so I'd imagine we're close to getting a coach presser now.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Seravalli on his podcast today:

Cliff notes:

-Says Sutter FOR NOW has won the power struggle between him and Brad

-Says there’s still a chance Sutter isn’t back

-Says Brad wanted to make a coaching change but was not granted permission to do so

-Says that a handful of players voiced displeasure with Sutter in their exit interviews

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Seravalli on his podcast today:

Cliff notes:

-Says Sutter FOR NOW has won the power struggle between him and Brad

-Says there’s still a chance Sutter isn’t back

-Says Brad wanted to make a coaching change but was not granted permission to do so

-Says that a handful of players voiced displeasure with Sutter in their exit interviews

So different rumours and no clarity.

The only thing that remains is that Daryl sutter sucks

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Nov 7, 2022. Nick DeSimone makes his NHL debut, in an overtime loss to the NYI. Sutter mildly, constructively criticizes complacency of vets in post-game. No reporters ask about Nick DeSimone's first game. No one writes more than the fact that his debut occurred.
Sure, DeSimone is 28, and a career AHLer. Still, there's a story there of a young guy sticking with the pro hockey dream and finally getting a game. He doesn't have the pedigree of stars like Matthew Phillips or Jacob Pelletier, but he was an NHLer on Nov 7. Valji and Francis didn't care. Nobody cared. He's not click-worthy.
A defenceman who had 46 points in 65 AHL games as a 23 year old in 18-19. But I guess him never getting an NHL game until Nov 7, 2022 was totally understandable to everyone.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
To me this guarantees that Conroy will be the GM unless Maloney fires Sutter prior to a GM hire. No one from the outside is going to take a GM job with Darryl having a solid hold on the head coach job. If someone does it’ll be a bottom of the barrel hire.
I am not sure that even an internal hire would want to touch this mess right now without ownership giving hockey ops approval to do WHATEVER is necessary to build the team if ownerships 1 condition is keeping Sutter.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Ah. You weren't around when Marc Savard had an argument with the coach and was subsequently traded.

Coach was fired within a week or two. Marc Savard wound up being the #1 centre Iggy never got.
ah yes Marc Savard, in addition to the list of Martin St Louis, Brett Hull and everyone's waiver loss favorite Paul Byron as players lost who would put this team over the top in the past.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I dont think it matters whether it's a rumour, fact, intentional leak by the org or something else. Sutter has to go, and I'm willing to bet he doesn't coach a game for the Flames next season. Wont be GM either, if he gets some role in the organisation it's purely for PR role and retirement contract that is called "a promotion".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad