Blue Jays Discussion: It's still the off-season (Ray: Cy Young, Berrios: 7yr ext, Semien: to TEX, Gausman: signs 5y/$110m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
Yea sure but would you work at your second choice job for five years for 4% more ?
Is it the teams? I mean I feel like the system doesn't really work for most players. It really is an example of capitalism at its best and at its worst. All of the money goes to the few, and everybody else gets peanuts. Yes there are manipulations like we saw with Vlad and his service time, but that's the team doing what every team does because of the system they operate within.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
This is just not true, the Tigers have been cutting costs for years since his death and are just now finally starting to spend after years of dicking their fanbase around with a "rebuild" where they penny pinched like never before. It has been reported that the Tigers were not willing to go 300+ with Correa despite the fact that their manager desperately wanted him.

I hope Chris Ilitch starts to spend because the AL Central needs to stop being a joke. Outside of the Cabrera contract (signed during the Mike years) and the contracts from this offseason, their roster is still quite cheap.

Ive been a Wings fan my entire life and follow the Ilitches very close. If they wanted to spend 300 million they would have. They stopped spending money because they were rebuilding.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Is Espinal the current backup at SS?

I think so. Which is fine, I think he can handle SS when Bo has games off or if he gets hurt. It's not fine if he's both your backup SS and starting 3B and an injury to either him or Bo has Valera or Kevin Smith playing everyday.

I think we likely sign someone who will handle most games at 3rd and Espinal plays some 2nd when Biggio isn't, and otherwise is the backup IF

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
the key to this rumour is baerga actually said "freddie fremmen" so its clearly a troll job.
well played baerga, well played

Im pretty sure Baerga isnt a troll. All of his posts are in Spanish, so the fact that it pulled "fremmen" isnt an indictment on him, rather the translation could have resulted in the incorrect spelling of Freeman. And if it isnt, i would cut Baerga some slack, English isnt hid first language - its east to misspell Freeman to Fremmen. Its just 2 letters off.

He also called the Semien and Garcia signings;

Reactions: smitty10

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Im pretty sure Baerga isnt a troll. All of his posts are in Spanish, so the fact that it pulled "fremmen" isnt an indictment on him, rather the translation could have resulted in the incorrect spelling of Freeman. And if it isnt, i would cut Baerga some slack, English isnt hid first language - its east to misspell Freeman to Fremmen. Its just 2 letters off.

He also called the Semien and Garcia signings;

damn, way to crap on my joke lol :(

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Im not a fan of the fit especially with moving Vladdy back to 2B. Rather have Vladdy and Freeman alternate DH and 1B. If someone needs an off day then one of those guys can come off the bench. Still would like a legit 3B.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Ive been a Wings fan my entire life and follow the Ilitches very close. If they wanted to spend 300 million they would have. They stopped spending money because they were rebuilding.
They didn't want to spend 300 million because it was 300 million. They're no longer rebuilding, they're finally trying to contend and yet they didn't spend the money on a perfect fit despite having a low payroll. I don't know why you're persistent in defending him when it was clear they didn't sign Correa because they didn't want to spend the money.

It's also important to note that spending during a rebuild is very important to generate assets down the line.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
They didn't want to spend 300 million because it was 300 million. They're no longer rebuilding, they're finally trying to contend and yet they didn't spend the money on a perfect fit despite having a low payroll. I don't know why you're persistent in defending him when it was clear they didn't sign Correa because they didn't want to spend the money.

It's also important to note that spending during a rebuild is very important to generate assets down the line.

Really I don’t know why I am debating with someone that doesn’t even follow Detroit.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
So if we're signing Freeman that means he's actually going to play 3B?
If this rumour has traction, I have to imagine they've already talked to Vladdy about the idea of moving back to third.

Its clear we arent getting a full season.
Yeah, the owners were ungodly amounts of stubborn during the COVID negotiations and that isn't changing anytime soon. the only way we see a full season is if the players allow a terrible deal to go through and I don't see that happening.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Im not a fan of the fit especially with moving Vladdy back to 2B. Rather have Vladdy and Freeman alternate DH and 1B. If someone needs an off day then one of those guys can come off the bench. Still would like a legit 3B.

He already had issues at 3rd and you want to put him at a harder position? I know he just about won the MVP but come on, cut him a little slack.

Its clear we arent getting a full season.

It's cute that Alonso thinks that MLB owners as a collective unit are actually capable of getting their act together and working in unison to do something as intricate and detail-oriented as doctoring baseballs by differing amounts based on pending FA classes.

If they were capable of that then they'd also be colluding to suppress FA salaries in the signing process, but clearly that is not and hasn't been the case for decades at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad