Blue Jays Discussion: It's still the off-season (Ray: Cy Young, Berrios: 7yr ext, Semien: to TEX, Gausman: signs 5y/$110m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

This was one arm I wanted to see work with Walker. But since we are contenders, I don’t think you can risk giving him starts based on his recent history.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Are the Jays going to be in on Suzuki? Is he the real deal a la Ohtani (obviously not as good) or is he another Tsutsugo?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
MOCK TRADE

upload_2021-11-21_17-56-6.jpeg

Sign me up!

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't think that comes close to getting it done for Chapman, but there's a ton of risk with Chapman that's going to prevent a huge return. That K-rate is terrifying.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Way-too-early 2022 MLB awards predictions
AL Cy Young

Lucas Giolito, White Sox; Jose Berrios, Blue Jays; Gerrit Cole, Yankees

This race looks like it'll be wide open, with former winners Chris Sale, Shane Bieber and Justin Verlander all in various post-injury stages, and Cole having come back to the pack a little bit after his up-and-down second half last season.

Giolito struggled with some inconsistency in 2021, but he has a history of overcoming those issues with his cerebral, self-aware approach to the game. Also, anyone who is a fixture in the White Sox's rotation is a contender, so in a subhead to this section, you might as well list Lance Lynn, Dylan Cease and maybe even Michael Kopech. There aren't many managers who value length from starters like Tony La Russa, and while that might not turn the heads of voters like it once did, it might hold some sway in a tight race.

With Berrios, we also have to mention teammate Robbie Ray, the 2021 AL winner who is a free agent, so it's hard to say he's a favorite in either league. Meanwhile, Berrios is an underrated pitcher who combines durability and consistency as well as anyone, and his peripheral numbers have ticked up to the point where it feels like he's poised for a career season.

As for Cole, he has plenty to prove after his 2021 drop-off, but he is still, after all, Gerrit Cole.

Sleeper: Shohei Ohtani, Angels
Corbin Burnes' Cy Young win shows that you don't need to lead the league in innings to win the honor in today's game. Ohtani has the potential to put up a top-five season just for his pitching alone, and as good as he was on the mound in 2021, there were still some unpolished edges to his game. More than anything, it just feels like if Ohtani sets his sights on building a case for this award and boosting the oft-criticized Angels rotation, he, perhaps more than any player in the game, can get there by sheer will.

My pick: Berrios. A (relatively) new team, a contract extension -- things just seem to be coming together for Berrios as he gets into the prime of his career.

AL Rookie of the Year

Sleeper: Gabriel Moreno, Blue Jays

Moreno has rocketed up the prospect rankings by hitting everywhere he's gone. Baseball America ranked Moreno as Toronto's No. 8 prospect before last season and as the Jays' second-best catching prospect behind Alejandro Kirk. By BA's midseason rankings, Moreno held the No. 1 overall spot for the Jays. That'll happen when you hit .367, get a smattering of Triple-A playing time at age 21 and keep on mashing during the Arizona Fall League. He lost development time to a thumb injury in 2021, and the Jays have Danny Jansen and Kirk as a nice combo behind the plate. Nevertheless, Moreno's trajectory makes him a player to watch.

Vladdy is a finalist for the MVP award.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The Blue Jays haven't been this rich in catchers since circa 1978 when they had Rick Cerone, Alan Ashby and Ernie Whitt.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Wonder if it’s premature to think of a Manoah extension.

My guess is that if Yankees are the option for Semien the Jays will block him from going there. One he has never liked the Yankees and two its not California where its been rumored he wants to go if he leaves the Jays.

If it were to come down to Yankees or Jays I think Semien picks Jays. Same way LeMatheiu stayed with the Yankees. Why leave a great situation for your life and career.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Rogers looks to cash in on Blue Jays to pay down company debt ahead of Shaw deal - The Globe and Mail

Rogers executives have talked about raising money by selling all or part of the baseball club for many years. At an investor conference in 2017, Mr. Staffieri said the company was “looking at ways to better surface the value of the Blue Jays.” The concept is now on the front burner as Rogers moves to close its $26-billion takeover of Shaw Communications Inc., an acquisition funded with $20-billion of debt.

Options under consideration for the Blue Jays and Rogers Centre include selling a minority stake in the ball club, spinning off the team or raising money by selling “tracking shares,” according to one company source and a source in banking. Tracking shares, a type of specialized equity offering that would mirror the value of the team, are already used by the owner of at least one other Major League Baseball franchise, the Atlanta Braves.

Rogers also owns a 37.5-per-cent stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., parent of the Raptors, Maple Leafs, Argos, and Toronto FC. This holding is not part of the current review, according to the company and banking sources.

If Rogers did decide to sell a portion of the Blue Jays to an individual, the sources said company chair Edward Rogers is a potential buyer. The vast majority of professional sports franchises are owned by wealthy individuals, rather than public companies.

Blue Jays executives already report to Mr. Rogers, and the 52-year-old is chair of the team. He is also its representative on Major League Baseball’s board. At Blue Jays spring training games in Dunedin, Fla., Mr. Rogers sits in the stands watching his sons serve as bat boys.

The Shaw takeover is expected to close next spring. Winning approval for the transaction from federal regulators is the top priority for Mr. Staffieri. In interviews last week, he said preparing Rogers’s balance sheet for the acquisition is also a priority. A spokesperson for Rogers declined to comment on the company’s plans for its baseball franchise.

The sources said they expect a decision on whether to sell the Blue Jays to be made after the end of negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement for Major League Baseball players. The current agreement expires on December 1.

If Rogers, which broadcasts Blue Jays games on its Sportsnet television and radio networks, does spin out its baseball team, the company and the franchise will face issues around related-party transactions. Sources said those potential conflicts are part of the reason the company has kept all its sports and media properties under one roof.

Separately, Rogers and Brookfield Asset Management Inc. are working on a project to redevelop the Rogers Centre, which opened in 1989, and the surrounding property.

Reactions: Kurtz

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Yeah its fake. A friend of mine already got fooled by that. But that doesnt mean it wont happen at some point haha

its sad that people need to be entertained by being someone throwing out misinformation.

in a perfect world

we would sign rodon for a 1 year deal. hope you can get the max out of him and another compo pick if he outprices himself over a great season.
sign gausman to 3 year deal
sign ray to a 3 years but i assume someone will give him 5 years or more

i still have my objections on re signing ray. he has went from lights out to bad a couple times over his career and compared to how jekyll and hide his last 3 seasons have been i do have a issue with a long term contract with out any managerial opt outs. incase the wheels fall off or he cant hit the strike zone again.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
My guess is that if Yankees are the option for Semien the Jays will block him from going there. One he has never liked the Yankees and two its not California where its been rumored he wants to go if he leaves the Jays.

If it were to come down to Yankees or Jays I think Semien picks Jays. Same way LeMatheiu stayed with the Yankees. Why leave a great situation for your life and career.
How can the jays block him from going to the Yankees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad