Pre-Game Talk: It's official: Leafs vs Bruins [Game 1 on Wed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
That Ottawa team was super fragile mentally, and had limited experience of success in the playoffs every time they come up against the Leafs. Recall that their run to the cup final came after the many years they got dumped by the Leafs.

And that Chara is not the same Chara that we are seeing now. Cup winner, bags of experience, etc etc

I'm not saying he's immortal, just that he's hard to wear down and beat.

What I recall from all 4 series vs Ottawa is that they out played the Leafs and it was goaltending that killed them... Cujo and Belfour stole the series vs Ottawa and once the Leafs faced an opponent that evend the field in net the Leafs were eliminated.

Ah! the Quinn days really get my blood going... Those teams were capable of winning but lacked team structure to get over the hump too much reliance on goaltending to win hockey games:rant:

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I'm being a realist zeke. Most of you guys are being optimistic. I don't see anything wrong with either side. Shots for, shots against, goaltending, fenwick, their top 6 group (I know their underacheiving at the moment, but they're more skilled and better rounded), etc all favour the Bruins. It's clear we're at a disadvantage are the underdogs. Aside from the Minnessota Wild, we're the 2nd likely underdogs in the playoffs.

Leafs have a chance if Reimer stands on his head, Kessel becomes a man, and the team stops with it's giveaways and turnovers. Turnovers and the giveaways are number 1 reason that may cost this team the series.
You are always exceedingly negative, I don't even think you're a fan of this team. Just reading your posts in the PGT's and the like make it obvious you seem to watch just to criticize.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
You are always exceedingly negative, I don't even think you're a fan of this team. Just reading your posts in the PGT's and the like make it obvious you seem to watch just to criticize.

realistic, not negative. Unless you think we're the favourites here or that we've played good hockey the last while? Getting outshot the last 20 of 23 games is not going to cut it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Chara is hardly impossible to wear down.

The man is 36 years old.

The problem is that only one or two players on our team have the balls to hit Chara every time he has the puck:

Komarov and Kulemin.

We have a lot of young Leafs fans that do not remember what Leafs used to do in the Tucker, Corson, Roberts, Domi days.

No player is impossible to wear down in the playoffs, especially one that logs 30 mins a game. This is a playoff strategy teams have been employing for years now.

When Ray Bourque played for the Bruins, he was a horse, but a team employed a dump into his corner strategy and hit him until he cracked, even the great Ray Bourque was worn down.

Leafs fans have forgotten what Playoff hockey is like or maybe they are too young to witness it, it's a game within a game, not a sprint but a marathon.

lLeafer

Feb 27, 2012
Damn so many haters.. but that is expected :laugh: The Leafs can win this.. although if you ask half the posters here the Bruins have been replaced by a time travelling 1984 Oilers team, Reimer was just called up yesterday and Seguin definitely better than Kessel who may not even show up to the rink.. Kessel didn't win the Art Ross therefore he is garbage.. trade him before the series for that 16 year old who totally was awesome at that tournament! Oh yeah.. Phaneuf is the worst dman in the league, is "fake tough" and scored on his own net that one time several years ago.. HOWEVER, despite all these short comings I still think the Leafs will beat Gretzky and Co. in six games... the Bruins were renowned for underacheiving until they won the cup 3 years ago.. funny how they get legendary status from that one good streak of hockey.. I bet the Leafs would have to win 5 cups in a row before half the posters here would begrudgingly admit that they're "ok, sorta"

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
We have a lot of young Leafs fans that do not remember what Leafs used to do in the Tucker, Corson, Roberts, Domi days.

No player is impossible to wear down in the playoffs, especially one that logs 30 mins a game. This is a playoff strategy teams have been employing for years now.

When Ray Bourque played for the Bruins, he was a horse, but a team employed a dump into his corner strategy and hit him until he cracked, even the great Ray Bourque was worn down.

Leafs fans have forgotten what Playoff hockey is like or maybe they are too young to witness it, it's a game within a game, not a sprint but a marathon.

Since that comment your quoting was a response to something I said, I can comfortably assure you I'm likely no younger than you, if not older, and remember those runs well.

I love Komarov, but he's no Roberts, man. Roberts was a psychopath with his fitness, mentality on the ice, and mean streak. Not many guys wanted to mess with him.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Beg to differ. Leafs lose first game, win 2nd; they've stolen home-ice and have a great chance to win the series going home 1-1. I guess you mean momentum-wise?

I think the longer series go the more advantage to Leafs. I'm disgusted with league giving Bs two games break between games 1 and 2. This alone can be huge factor for tired Bs preserving home ice advantage and somewhat discouraging Leafs if they manage to go 2 up. :shakehead

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Let's say Kessel doesn't perform early on in the series, would you guys want Carlyle to spread out his wingers throughout the lineup to make matchups harder for Boston?

For example, something like this:

Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Komarov - Grabo - Kessel
JVR - Colborne/McClement - Frattin/MacArthur
McLaren - McClement/Colborne - Orr

Basically give Kessel his own line so if Boston wants to shut him down with Chara, we still have 2 lines that are capable of putting the puck in the net and they'll get second/third pairings instead.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Let's say Kessel doesn't perform early on in the series, would you guys want Carlyle to spread out his wingers throughout the lineup to make matchups harder for Boston?

Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Komarov - Grabo - Kessel

Basically give Kessel his own line so if Boston wants to shut him down with Chara, we still have 2 lines that are capable of putting the puck in the net and they'll get second/third pairings instead.

Expect Chara to play nearly 30 minutes a night, being on the ice for almost 1/2 the game in all situations.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Komarov - Grabo - Kessel

not a bad idea actually.

we don't necessarily need a checking line against them. if we try and run balanced scoring lines, then chara can't stop them all.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Expect Chara to play nearly 30 minutes a night, being on the ice for almost 1/2 the game in all situations.

That's true. I'd just rather an underperforming Kessel get less minutes at even strength so maybe Boston puts Chara against two other lines so Kessel gets on the ice without Chara. Just running some scenarios in my head to see if there's any loophole to get Kessel to perform against Boston :laugh:

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I believe that this series will be much tougher for Boston than most fans think. The Bruins are not the same team from their cup year, or last year for that matter. I think the Leafs will want this series more than Boston does. The energy of Toronto the city will flow to the players, they will get what it means to be a Leaf, and will thrive from it. Toronto in 7!

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
not a bad idea actually.

we don't necessarily need a checking line against them. if we try and run balanced scoring lines, then chara can't stop them all.

Pretty much. Chara plays a ton, but he can't realistically stop everyone and it could be seen as using our depth on the wing to our advantage.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

You are aware that the ware and tear in bumps & bruises isn't felt in the 1st round? You can hit Chara all you want unless he gets injured it will have zero effect in the first round especially with the Leafs lack of sustaining a cycle game.

It's not the hits that wear you down it's forcing them to play more D than one would like, keeping him on an extended shift by cycling the puck making those legs burn that does the trick during a course of a game.;)

You know kind of like what happens to Phaneuf and the Leafs every time they play Boston;)

morrielly

Dec 4, 2012
toronto

Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Komarov - Grabo - Kessel

didn't carlyle say bozie was playing this wednesday?
like the idea btw. Also gotta say right now that jvr will be huge for us at one point in the series (game 3/4 is my guess)

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
realistic, not negative. Unless you think we're the favourites here or that we've played good hockey the last while? Getting outshot the last 20 of 23 games is not going to cut it.

Sorry dude, hockeythoughts is right.

A realist balances the negatives and the positives. You seem to dwell exclusively on the negatives. (which I admit there are a bunch)

However, the team is fast, can play a physical game, has had strong goaltending, above average goal production, outstanding penalty killing, and good coaching.

Sure they are not close to being an elite team, but they did finish in the top 10 with only 2 fewer wins than the Bruins. (who also haven't been playing good hockey in the last while)

You seem like a guy who loves to focus on the negative, just so you can p*** on everyone's enjoyment and swoop in with "see, how smart I am" should it go you're way. It's tired.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I believe that this series will be much tougher for Boston than most fans think. The Bruins are not the same team from their cup year, or last year for that matter. I think the Leafs will want this series more than Boston does. The energy of Toronto the city will flow to the players, they will get what it means to be a Leaf, and will thrive from it. Toronto in 7!

Hope your right cause it's offensive zone time forcing Boston to play defense that what you talk about will lead to which is the key to have a chance against them. Rope & dope with opportunistic offense off the rush like the Leafs have played during the course of the season wont work vs Boston. It plays right into there strength of cycling the puck and wearing the opposition down... The Leafs need to give them a dose of there own medicine of a sustained cycle game other wise I don't like the Leafs chances.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
didn't carlyle say bozie was playing this wednesday?
like the idea btw. Also gotta say right now that jvr will be huge for us at one point in the series (game 3/4 is my guess)

Wow, I forgot about Bozak :help:

How about...

Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Komarov - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Frattin/MacArthur
McLaren - McClement - Orr

Maybe switch Bozak and Grabo depending on their performances/chemistry. Hopefully these hypothetical scenarios won't matter because Kessel shows up :P

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Just found out five minutes ago that I'll be going to game 3, so outrageously excited, I can't wait. First home Playoff game in 9 years, that atmosphere is going to be insane.

Oh man, I can't even contain myself right now :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad