GDT: It's 1:30pm so I guess I'll start a GDT 11/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
The last two seasons he's also had Carrier as a partner. He's paid to be a defense first defender who happens to net 7ish and get low 20s assists. It's a normal season for him ... especially on a team that started this one slow.
And as a 1-on-1 defender, he continually loses battles he used to win. In the corner, in the slot, on the boards. Stats don't prove everything, as much as you'd like them to. If anyone thinks I'm wrong here, I'll gladly concede the point

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
And as a 1-on-1 defender, he continually loses battles he used to win. In the corner, in the slot, on the boards. Stats don't prove everything, as much as you'd like them to. If anyone thinks I'm wrong here, I'll gladly concede the point

He spent how many games with McDonagh on a pairing that didn't gel?

Nice pivot from he's lost a step offensively to now introducing a completely new paradigm. In reality Ekholm is playing very similarly to how he's played over the past five seasons. For all of the issues with Carrier as his partner, the two are a pretty solid pair as Carrier develops and Ekholm has fewer gaffes to cover.

I just saw your question about Sanford or Tolvanen ... in reality we're talking forwards 13-15 right now. It comes down to who looks better in morning skates and practices. It's a choice between .29 and .31 points per game in their on ice performance this season. ... who has the the fewest dings and pains. When Trenin is healthy, he's back in. Jankowski, when healthy, is a decision between scratch, play, or possibly send back down depending on how multiple other forwards are playing.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
He spent how many games with McDonagh on a pairing that didn't gel?

Nice pivot from he's lost a step offensively to now introducing a completely new paradigm. In reality Ekholm is playing very similarly to how he's played over the past five seasons. For all of the issues with Carrier as his partner, the two are a pretty solid pair as Carrier develops and Ekholm has fewer gaffes to cover.

I just saw your question about Sanford or Tolvanen ... in reality we're talking forwards 13-15 right now. It comes down to who looks better in morning skates and practices. It's a choice between .29 and .31 points per game in their on ice performance this season. ... who has the the fewest dings and pains. When Trenin is healthy, he's back in. Jankowski, when healthy, is a decision between scratch, play, or possibly send back down depending on how multiple other forwards are playing.
Sorry. Do we have to compartmentalize each discussion into every specific aspect of his game? Despite all of the comparative stats, do you really believe Ekholm is as effective a player as he was 3 years ago?

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Sorry. Do we have to compartmentalize each discussion into every specific aspect of his game? Despite all of the comparative stats, do you really believe Ekholm is as effective a player as he was 3 years ago?
I have been disappointed this year but I'm willing to let him try to normalize after the McDonagh experiment that was a disaster.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I have been disappointed this year but I'm willing to let him try to normalize after the McDonagh experiment that was a disaster.
Has Ek been playing his "off" side this year? I know this summer when they acquired McD that was something that was being looked at

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I agree that Ekholm has not been as effective last season and this season so far.

I used to go around calling him a good "#2 defenseman" who just happened to be stuck behind Josi. But he seemed to lose... I wouldn't call it a "step" per se, more like some passion?... last season. I don't know if it is related to just having a more settled future with his contract and the kind of general settling that people do as they get older? But I wouldn't say it clearly looks like any physical deterioration. Just he isn't quite as good, in pretty much all aspects of the game, all over the ice. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with how many points he gets or what his +/- might happen to be.

So now I go around calling him a decent veteran #3 guy. It's a drop, but he is still a useful player and we need what he brings, I don't have any particular axe to grind with his play, I'll take him even at his current level. :dunno:

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
9Has Ek been playing his "off" side this year? I know this summer when they acquired McD that was something that was being looked at
He was, and it didn't work and not just with McDonagh, he looked bad with Josi too. Best I can tell he's having a slow transition back with Carrier but I'm very optimistic he'll pull it together.

I agree that Ekholm has not been as effective last season and this season so far.

I used to go around calling him a good "#2 defenseman" who just happened to be stuck behind Josi. But he seemed to lose... I wouldn't call it a "step" per se, more like some passion?... last season. I don't know if it is related to just having a more settled future with his contract and the kind of general settling that people do as they get older? But I wouldn't say it clearly looks like any physical deterioration. Just he isn't quite as good, in pretty much all aspects of the game, all over the ice. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with how many points he gets or what his +/- might happen to be.

So now I go around calling him a decent veteran #3 guy. It's a drop, but he is still a useful player and we need what he brings, I don't have any particular axe to grind with his play, I'll take him even at his current level. :dunno:
Agreed.

Reactions: PredsV82

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I’ve never been a Carrier guy but he’s looked better to me lately. His offensive skills aren’t what a lot of our media think it is but defensively he’s playing a much more quite game. I think he’s staying home more which he needs too

Anyone else still worried about Saros? He wasn’t great last not to me

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Noo Janokowski, Tolvanen, Trenin

Well Parssinen has basically fixed the top-6, and the D pairings are sort of drifting towards something that more closely resembles what we thought in the summer? Now we just need to get Trenin and Tolvanen back in the mix and keep winning games, and this forum can shut down for the winter?
:sarcasm:

• Haha

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I’ve never been a Carrier guy but he’s looked better to me lately. His offensive skills aren’t what a lot of our media think it is but defensively he’s playing a much more quite game. I think he’s staying home more which he needs too

Anyone else still worried about Saros? He wasn’t great last not to me
Well I was worried in the first couple games of the year that Carrier seemed dead set on becoming mini-Josi again. Again it wasn't really working. But then it seemed like something happened along the way and now he's sitting with 0 pts and playing more within himself again and frankly I think he's a better player when he does that, even sitting with 0 pts. That's what made him stick when he first came into the lineup two years ago, and that to me is the way he can most help us win hockey games. Even if it doesn't look as good in his arbitration case this summer. I hope he keeps it up.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

You started with a complaint about his offense and specifically phrased it that way. The reality is that he is still the #2 that we use as the basis of the 2nd pairing and expect him to carry it no matter who is along side him. He didn't work well with McDonagh or Fabbro to start the season ... back with Carrier has both of them playing better.

The one constant is that these boards see what they want to see and no amount of reality gets in the way of that. Believe that he's devolved to the defense of Delmore coupled with the offense of Gill if you'd like ... the data doesn't support it but that clearly doesn't matter.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well I was worried in the first couple games of the year that Carrier seemed dead set on becoming mini-Josi again. Again it wasn't really working. But then it seemed like something happened along the way and now he's sitting with 0 pts and playing more within himself again and frankly I think he's a better player when he does that, even sitting with 0 pts. That's what made him stick when he first came into the lineup two years ago, and that to me is the way he can most help us win hockey games. Even if it doesn't look as good in his arbitration case this summer. I hope he keeps it up.
Gotta kind of wonder if the upcoming contract wasn't making him push things. Might be that someone let him know that he was closer to costing himself money than gaining it.

Also could be that he realizes Ekholm hasn't got it in years past so if he doesn't settle down he will be the one getting 3rd pairing minutes not Ekholm in a effort to " fix " things.

Whatever it is he definitely has settled down and played more like that guy we first saw when he came up, and that's a good thing.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Sometimes we seem to expect too much from the Dmen. I’m specifically keying on Ekholm. He’s not slipping; he’s aging. As he does, he’s adjusting his play. He has been and still is a top 2nd pair, shut down Dman. He has carried the Preds D for years and Preds have always asked him to carry learning youngsters. As he ages he may no longer carry his partner as well but he can cover his position with no problem. But the day will come when he’s done as it will be for Josi, Forsberg, Duchene, etc. and as it was for all great Dmen of the past. It ain’t yet. He can play his position and Preds are fortunate to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad