OT: An OT thread unlike any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Not sure karaoke is up the alley of my group lol. The rest sounds right. My best man will 100% plan a camping/cabin trip for my stag party because I hate large groups and formal stuff and live for outdoorsy stuff so I don't wanna basically do a typical outdoor bbq thing since that'll happen again...
Camping trip sounds great. Congrats on the marriage thing btw!

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Combine the two. Paintball karaoke!
Even better: pinball karaoke!
Rochester museum of play probably (hopefully???) has their pinball room still up...

I'm making my first big career change after 11.5 years at my current gig starting 4/2. Coinciding with a move, too. It'll be nice to be settled. Four day work week, though, means I'll have Fridays free and you'd better believe I'll be bringing my tokens to dance those silver balls off paddles on the reg.

Reactions: Chainshot

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Bought a Sierra 1500 last month, I am a younger guy and have wanted a truck for about 3 years now and love the thing to death but now that i've owned it for a bit and the "fun" has worn off i really wish i just bought a bigger car or something like a Ford Escape, the good thing is that i bought it used and payed only about 19k for it CDN and would probably only lose 2 grand if I sold it right now (taxes). It drives me absolutely crazy filling this thing with fuel at over twice the price of my previous car when it's just me driving it 90% of the time. Should I just take the loss and go get something smaller? or just get used to paying close to double on fuel? I only drive about 15,000km a year. I went from a tiny car averaging 7L/100km to averaging 15L/100km and staring at just hating the idea of doubling my fuel cost just to drive me around.

I'am thinking of giving it another 2 weeks, and if it still doesn't feel right I will just take the hit even though it might cost me up to 2 grand and get something like a full size car or crossover.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bought a Sierra 1500 last month, I am a younger guy and have wanted a truck for about 3 years now and love the thing to death but now that i've owned it for a bit and the "fun" has worn off i really wish i just bought a bigger car or something like a Ford Escape, the good thing is that i bought it used and payed only about 19k for it CDN and would probably only lose 2 grand if I sold it right now (taxes). It drives me absolutely crazy filling this thing with fuel at over twice the price of my previous car when it's just me driving it 90% of the time. Should I just take the loss and go get something smaller? or just get used to paying close to double on fuel? I only drive about 15,000km a year. I went from a tiny car averaging 7L/100km to averaging 15L/100km and staring at just hating the idea of doubling my fuel cost just to drive me around.

Sell it and get something fuel efficient. Throw the savings into anything, including a new car fund.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Sell it and get something fuel efficient. Throw the savings into anything, including a new car fund.

That's honestly what I am thinking, in my head I wanted a truck so I could use my our family cottage more and be able to tow a boat/snowmobiles but I am just not sure if it's worth paying an extra $2000 a year in fuel just for the 5-10 times I will need a pickup.

Im a truck guy 100%, but you're talking an extra $200 bucks in fuel alone a month (although insurance is cheaper). I literally looked at trucks every day and the one I got was an absolute steal to, and I still have regrets about it. I just feel stuck now because I damn well know I am going to be thinking about how it will got $15 bucks to drive 100km now etc.

Can you sell something right after buying it? hows that work with the interest when financing?

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Another option could be to get a really cheap beater as your low cost daily driver and the cost is covered by the fuel savings.

I know someone who bought a used Prius and the payments were offset by the fuel cost savings over using his Lincoln Navigator as his daily driver.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another option could be to get a really cheap beater as your low cost daily driver and the cost is covered by the fuel savings.

I know someone who bought a used Prius and the payments were offset by the fuel cost savings over using his Lincoln Navigator as his daily driver.

Or get a beater truck on the basis of say two years of fuel savings.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Good idea's, but honestly I have a work truck I could just take home if I really wanted to. Buying a truck was something I didn't think through long and hard enough and now I am regretting that decision big time even though I got an amazing truck at a great price that has already depreciated most of it's value. I think it'll be a learning lesson for me..I am young and living at home still and have a good job, and since I already have it I think I’ll keep it for a few months at least then just look at something that’s bigger then what I had (Mazda 3) but smaller then the truck and good on fuel.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Good idea's, but honestly I have a work truck I could just take home if I really wanted to. Buying a truck was something I didn't think through long and hard enough and now I am regretting that decision big time even though I got an amazing truck at a great price that has already depreciated most of it's value. I think it'll be a learning lesson for me..I am young and living at home still and have a good job, and since I already have it I think I’ll keep it for a few months at least then just look at something that’s bigger then what I had (Mazda 3) but smaller then the truck and good on fuel.
First bolded: That's a unique (and Awesome!!!!) situation. If you think it will persist, then I'd be inclined to give up your personal truck. OTOH, if you think you'll lose that perk, or that job, I'd be more reluctant to give up the personal truck.

Second bolded: Not disputing your contention, but it sounds as though you got an amazing truck at a great sticker price (with corresponding significant depreciation, which is a "carrying cost"), but without factoring in the $2k/year increased gas cost, as a "carrying cost". For large ticket items: cars, homes, luxuries like boats, etc. you need to consider the carrying cost as part of the total purchase - depreciation, insurance, maintenance, cleaning/upkeep, even your time - besides just the purchase price.

FWIW, One of my favorite expressions is "it's better to have a friend with a boat, than to have a boat". If, however, fishing is your single passion and your life routinely plans time for that, then yes, e.g., a boat makes sense for you.

Lastly, I posted previously that I bought a 2016 F150 crew cab (aluminum body) with 2.7L v-6 eco-boost turbo and love it. Also, check your driving style. I get better gas mileage than my wife when she drives the truck, but that's because of driving style. As compared to me, she routinely: turns off the eco-boost because it annoys her, accelerates faster, brakes later, brakes more often, and coasts less. It's a couple mpg difference between us, but I've driven that way for 30 years so it's instinctive to me to drive to conserve fuel. And I'm not a hyper-miler.

We've had a Honda insight before (like it but outgrew it), and her family has 2 Prius' (1 "regular", 1 wagon). You might want to look into those down the road (pun intended).

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
First bolded: That's a unique (and Awesome!!!!) situation. If you think it will persist, then I'd be inclined to give up your personal truck. OTOH, if you think you'll lose that perk, or that job, I'd be more reluctant to give up the personal truck.

Second bolded: Not disputing your contention, but it sounds as though you got an amazing truck at a great sticker price (with corresponding significant depreciation, which is a "carrying cost"), but without factoring in the $2k/year increased gas cost, as a "carrying cost". For large ticket items: cars, homes, luxuries like boats, etc. you need to consider the carrying cost as part of the total purchase - depreciation, insurance, maintenance, cleaning/upkeep, even your time - besides just the purchase price.

FWIW, One of my favorite expressions is "it's better to have a friend with a boat, than to have a boat". If, however, fishing is your single passion and your life routinely plans time for that, then yes, e.g., a boat makes sense for you.

Lastly, I posted previously that I bought a 2016 F150 crew cab (aluminum body) with 2.7L v-6 eco-boost turbo and love it. Also, check your driving style. I get better gas mileage than my wife when she drives the truck, but that's because of driving style. As compared to me, she routinely: turns off the eco-boost because it annoys her, accelerates faster, brakes later, brakes more often, and coasts less. It's a couple mpg difference between us, but I've driven that way for 30 years so it's instinctive to me to drive to conserve fuel. And I'm not a hyper-miler.

We've had a Honda insight before (like it but outgrew it), and her family has 2 Prius' (1 "regular", 1 wagon). You might want to look into those down the road (pun intended).

I got a great deal, which makes it easier to get rid of if I have to, although I might still have to eat some of the tax...I think I will probably just give it a month or two and if I am still feeling this way I will just sell it and get a long term vehicle like a Camry or Ford Escape. I am also typically a very frugal person as well, so this is a pretty decent adjustment from my small car cost wise. It's a loaded 2011 sierra with 60,000km on it, it's going to depreciate far less then the payments ill be making, so really I might as well see if I have a change of heart at all. I'am just really starting to miss the flexability a small fuel efficient car allowed, I could just go anywhere and never even care about the cost of fuel. But at the same time, with the amount I drive the difference between a fuel efficient car and a half ton is a Coffee and Donut a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
In the world of youtube, take any video which contains in the title any of the words "EPIC, DESTROYS, CONFRONTS, SCHOOLED, SPEECHLESS, BAIT, INSULTS, and LIFE CHANGING" with a (large) grain of salt.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I had band practice and now I am lil tipsy y'all. Who wants to party?

I have two projects due this week, my mother-in-law is arriving tomorrow and I need to get my car registration and insurance swapped over on the van by the end of the week. I wish I was tipsy and coming from band practice.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I have two projects due this week, my mother-in-law is arriving tomorrow and I need to get my car registration and insurance swapped over on the van by the end of the week. I wish I was tipsy and coming from band practice.
That sounds like one hell of a party my friend.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Im a truck guy 100%, but you're talking an extra $200 bucks in fuel alone a month (although insurance is cheaper). I literally looked at trucks every day and the one I got was an absolute steal to, and I still have regrets about it. I just feel stuck now because I damn well know I am going to be thinking about how it will got $15 bucks to drive 100km now.

I've wanted to buy a truck for a while too, I still will, just later on in life. Like you it'd be for the cottage and all the great options a truck provides.

For now, I have my own truck for work and she just swallows gas, good ole F350. Put a good 250 in her a week, thank f*** I don't pay that. I also wouldn't be surprised to see gas prices go through the roof this summer in Ontario.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I've wanted to buy a truck for a while too, I still will, just later on in life. Like you it'd be for the cottage and all the great options a truck provides.

For now, I have my own truck for work and she just swallows gas, good ole F350. Put a good 250 in her a week, thank **** I don't pay that. I also wouldn't be surprised to see gas prices go through the roof this summer in Ontario.

Ya I absolutely love the thing, it’s a decked out 2011 Sierra All Terrain with low KMs and has already depreciated big time so if I actually do sell it I am gonna do alright still.

And ya $250 is some serious cash on fuel, I would say the fuel jump moving into a full size truck kinda caught me off guard, filling up is about $115 for about 600km. If you drive 20,000km a year that a difference of you’re looking at a difference of about 2 grand a year in fuel alone from a full size to a sedan. That’s a massive difference if you’re only pulling a boat 5-10 times per year.

I’m looking at just getting a 2013-2014 car in that 10-12k CDN range, there’s a lot of great full size sedans in that range that will get you 7l/100km HWY.

I’m 25 now, even if I regret buying a truck today I will definitely have one in the future (self driving? Lol) The timing just might not and I think the extra 3-4 grand a year could be better in a savings account.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad