Confirmed with Link: Isles Trade Pedan to Canucks for A. Mallet & 2016 3rd Rounder

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Well good luck to Andre Pedan. The last thing he did as an Islander farm hand is beat the snot out of Hartford (Ranger) #1 draft pick and supposed tough guy Dylan McIlryth last week.
Pedan can throw 'em with the best.

Agreed.
Saw some Ulf Samuelson in him, would have liked to have kept him around and watched him develop, He is a project but he will be a NHL D man one day- I firmly believe this.
I find it funny all the mockings Garth got for taking all the D men in the 2012 draft and now we have 2 second round forwards from said draft.
Don't know anything about the kid we got, I guess a 3rd back is what Garth was looking for. You had to know with all the D prospects some would have to go (Pokka now Pedan) or they would have left for nothing in a few years anyway.
Good luck to Pedan, I know we will see him in the NHL 1 day.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Garth gonna gather a bunch of mid picks and use them to trade up in the draft to maybe late first early second and draft another Brock Nelson. Lol

Haha basically.

Snow loves to use picks as currency. If he can accumulate one or two more, he can probably sneak into the second if his guy is there.

A name to keep an eye on for me is Ivan Provorov. Russian defenseman who's been in North America for a couple years now. He's been ranked pretty highly so far, but as we know, each team has a different agenda on draft day.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

But really, seems like he was struggling putting it all together. When 99% of the choir in the prospects thread thinks, "Meh," then you know it can't be good.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
But really, seems like he was struggling putting it all together. When 99% of the choir in the prospects thread thinks, "Meh," then you know it can't be good.

Say we didn't draft Reinhart, Pulock and one of Pelech or Mayfield, I think our board would have higher value for Pedan. Simple fact is he became low man on the totem poll

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Good move by you guys. I wish our GM had the foresight to trade projects that have no place in the organization and recoup some picks instead of letting them walk for nothing. Canucks fan rooting for you guys to take the East. Go get em!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Good move by you guys. I wish our GM had the foresight to trade projects that have no place in the organization and recoup some picks instead of letting them walk for nothing. Canucks fan rooting for you guys to take the East. Go get em!

I don't think it's a case Pedan is completely hopeless and we swindled you, it was more a case we drafted like 7 defensemen in 2012, 2 more in 2011(Mayfield and Pedan), plus Pulock in 2013(who is AHL eligible this year) and signed Czuczman. There basically wasn't enough room for all of them

Say if Islanders defensemen pool was rather weak I would much rather take my chances with Pedan. As it stands now we traded our 2nd rounder in 2016 for Boychuck so it's nice to get a pick(albeit later in the draft) back

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Makes sense. With the amount of bodies in BP we were on pace to lose some talented prospects for nothing. Restocking picks will help keep the system stocked on a yearly basis.

Pedan has upside but the numbers game probably would have kept him from realizing it here regardless.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
After we spent an entire draft on D-Men a few years ago, it was inevitable that we'd eventually have to either trade a couple down the line or watch them go to waste. It sucks Pedan wasn't developing better/faster, but this sort of lateral move was necessary at some point.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
BRI has a lot of D men, Utica wanted Pedan and Stockton needed another center which they got in Mallett and Garth acquired a draft choice.

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
Good trade for all parties. We got a 3rd in '16, a LW who needed a change of scenery (probably not an NHL guy, but taking a flier) for a defenseman buried in Bridgeport, who also needed a change in scenery. Solid work by Garth to extend the life of an asset in our system.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Do we start a " official Vancouver tank thread" so we can root for a real high 3rd round pick? :sarcasm:

Well we do have Florida's 3rd rounder this year to root for(although no confirmation it it's Florida's or Pittsburgh's but I assume it's Florida's since we gave up the 65th pick in last years draft)

We could also have a Tampa tank thread since we own their 7th rounder(although technically it might be the Rangers or Ducks pick)

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Do we start a " official Vancouver tank thread" so we can root for a real high 3rd round pick? :sarcasm:

:laugh:

Yes but after a few weeks we will have to change the name to "VAN draft position thread"

and we are alone aloud to talk about their players getting injured if we put the :)sarcasm:) symbol.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Seems like a win-win to me. Pedan has potential but he isn't going to see the NHL with us. So why not trade him for a 3rd in 2016 and see what we can do with that. And VAN now has a decent prospect in Pedan.

Garth could easily be taking a nap right now given our recent success, but he's not, he's taking the long view. Good on him.

Exactly. Great point. Glad to see the light is on not just in the owner's suite, but in the GM's office as well.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Everyone seems to be saying this Mallet guy is a giant bust... does he play in Bridgeport now or go straight to the ECHL? This blurb on hockeys future makes me think he can fit into an AHL grinder role even if he never makes it to the NHL.

Stop right there. The boards on HF are awesome, but the analysis is horrendous. It's like getting your news from The Enquirer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad