Confirmed with Link: Isles Trade Pedan to Canucks for A. Mallet & 2016 3rd Rounder

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=740930

Pedan, 21, has played six games with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers this season, recording three assists and 51 penalty minutes. The Moscow, Russia native played three seasons with the Guelph Storm of the Ontario Hockey League before making his professional debut in 2012.13 with the New York Islanders AHL affiliate Bridgeport Sound Tigers. During the 2010.11 season Pedan played for Russia at the World Junior Championships earning two points in six games and recording 25 penalty minutes.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Don't know much about Andrey Pedan. Islander insight?

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I wouldn't expect Mallet to be anything more than a below average AHLer at the best. 3rd round pick is the better value of the two pieces Islanders received.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
You guys got a budding superstar from us! A real hidden gem!

Well, actually, I guess I don't know for sure how that 3rd round pick will turn out. Anyway, Mallett has no NHL future.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Well it is good asset management... Pedan was a 3rd round pick so he got a 3rd round pick and a player back (Looked up the guy, not that impressed with his stats gonna have to talk to Rex about him)

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
He was on a contract, right?

HHhmmm...

Perhaps Garth wants to re-stock some draft picks?

Maybe Garth feels good about signing Boychuk and the Isles just have too many defensemen?

Beats the hell outta me.

2016 pick... If only it was one for this year because we do not have to many of those.

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
I like Pedan. At least I like the physicality he brings on the ice. I guess Mayfield is higher up on the depth chart and Mayfield will have a hard time cracking the Isles line up in the next couple of years.

I think the deal was done to get a draft pick back. I'm only assuming Mallet was a body Canucks wanted to dump and we had to take him in order to get the deal done.

I'm OK with it as I'm somewhat of a Canucks fan too.

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
He was on a contract, right?

HHhmmm...

Perhaps Garth wants to re-stock some draft picks?

Maybe Garth feels good about signing Boychuk and the Isles just have too many defensemen?

Beats the hell outta me.

I didn't realize Pedan was a 3rd rounder. I thought we picked him up in the 2nd. It makes a lot more sense now.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Weird trade. Wonder why they did this.

We have a glutton of AHL level defensemen. Pedan has been shifted up and down a lot. He's been in and out of the lineup for many different reasons.

It's simple, the Isles don't think he'll have a future here. We get a 3rd round pick we spent on him.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I would give Garth a B- on this trade.

-We had like no room down in BP constantly rotating defense men so they can get some games in

-Although Pedan is talented, he still has a long way to go. He has some good tangibleness though with his size and shot but is lacking in other important areas of the game

-Good asset management because Pedan was a 3rd round pick back in 2011, so Garth basically recoups the pick he used for him.

Overall, I can see Pedan being a solid #5, 6 guy if he develops. That is the question though if he develops into his potential.

The move makes more sense to me now because we have a ton of guys with ceilings like that in BP. Ok, but not really necessary trade.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
When Pedan was drafted in the third round in 2011 he immediately became one of the Islanders best defensive prospects. What has happened since is a case of evolution in the stable of defensive prospects since, the development of CDH and Hamonic, the drafting of Reinhart, Pokka (traded for Leddy), Pelech, and in 2013 Pulock. There was really no room with the Islanders for Pedan, got back a third round 2016 pick to re-invest in going forward.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Trade seems to be more about getting the D prospects more playing time in Bridgeport while getting an equivalent pick back and picking up a lottery ticket that we can stash in the ECHL for now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad