Confirmed with Link: Isles Trade Pedan to Canucks for A. Mallet & 2016 3rd Rounder

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
alexandre_mallet_vancouver.jpg

well, at least Martin will have a buddy to go buy "product" with if he ever makes the big club.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
I'm fine with this trade. Pedan isn't even in our top 5 of defense prospects, let alone prospects. Getting back a 3rd for him in a later draft is a wash.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mallet was a pretty high pick by the Canucks after a very good final season in the QMJHL, but just hasn't developed in pro at all. Confidence seems wrecked. Is a two-way physical center who can really scrap for a middleweight, but has looked lost offensively in the AHL and not shown a shred of the skill he displayed in junior.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I liked Pedan's potential and was always interested in seeing if he could be converted to a power forward with his size and skating ability, big shot.

I suppose that Garth wants to recapture some draft picks in a deep draft year. We do have a logjam with Czuczman, Pulock, Griff, Pelech, Graham still in the pipeline, Somerby, Bischoff, Russo, and Burroughs as possible signees.
If Mallett is still in the ECHL since 2012 draft, I doubt we were eyeing him as the key element.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Seems like a win-win to me. Pedan has potential but he isn't going to see the NHL with us. So why not trade him for a 3rd in 2016 and see what we can do with that. And VAN now has a decent prospect in Pedan.

Garth could easily be taking a nap right now given our recent success, but he's not, he's taking the long view. Good on him.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
alexandre_mallet_vancouver.jpg

well, at least Martin will have a buddy to go buy "product" with if he ever makes the big club.

I had that exact haircut in 1978. Seriously.

For that matter, pretty much everyone had that exact haircut in 1978.

I guess my old barber moved to Vancouver and then didn't keep up with the new stuff.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I recall Pedan getting into some trouble and being suspended a game or two in association with Kabanov. The Isles don't like non-boy scouts. Might have been a contributing factor to the trade, not a big factor yet a factor.

desmond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I recall Pedan getting into some trouble and being suspended a game or two in association with Kabanov. The Isles don't like non-boy scouts. Might have been a contributing factor to the trade, not a big factor yet a factor.

Yes. He is much better prospect than Pelech and mayfield.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I had hopes that if he ever put it together that he would be our next Chara
His talents and awkwardness just reminded me of big Z. Oh well

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Three 3rd rounders in 2015 make trading up to the 2nd a real possibility. For that alone, I am ok with this trade. But it's so minor, it's hard to care one way or another.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Odd trade. I'm really indifferent to this and with Bridgeport having so many defenseman this makes sense I guess. I'm assuming that's the reason. Other than that the only thing I can think of is that Garth wants to aquire 2016 picks because he may be planning on moving the 1st or 2nd but that seems like a long shot.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Everyone seems to be saying this Mallet guy is a giant bust... does he play in Bridgeport now or go straight to the ECHL? This blurb on hockeys future makes me think he can fit into an AHL grinder role even if he never makes it to the NHL.

Passed over two years in a row for the draft, Mallet never gave up and was rewarded with a second round selection by the Canucks. The same perseverance makes an appearance on the ice, where his no-quit attitude and hard-nosed play has drawn rave reviews from everyone but his on-ice competition. Furthermore, he made the most of a larger role last season and showcased some offensive abilities previously unseen. A hardhat and lunch pail type of player who leaves it all on the ice, his compete level and dedication alone could take him far.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Well good luck to Andre Pedan. The last thing he did as an Islander farm hand is beat the snot out of Hartford (Ranger) #1 draft pick and supposed tough guy Dylan McIlryth last week.
Pedan can throw 'em with the best.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Garth gonna gather a bunch of mid picks and use them to trade up in the draft to maybe late first early second and draft another Brock Nelson. Lol

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Yes. He is much better prospect than Pelech and mayfield.

No, not even close. Pedan hasn't even been a lock in Bridgeports defense this season. I don't think Pedan have any future in the NHL - absolutly not in Islanders defense. I think he will play some seasons in the minors before moving to the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad