Islanders Point Blank: Isles reportedly NOT close to agreeing on extension with Okposo

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I'm pretty sure they are happy making the playoffs every season. #thebigpicture#winscount#Donova....i meanDalCollewillfillhisshoes#I'macheapmofowhodoesn'twanttowin

So you are one that wants to sign him just because we have no one else at this very moment lol wow. I expected a bit more from you bud. We sign KO at 7M...I hope your satisfied with just making the Pos every year because that's all you will get. We didn't sign Streit, and Donovan is longgggg gone and this teams defense is doing just fine. Seriously bud think about what you are saying. Let's give KOs largely flawed game 7x7...that is mike milbury bad. Giving him that contract will absolutly SCREW this team. Might as well start rebuilding again because no 1st line player who is in the double digits minus every year is ever ever EVER winning a cup as a top 2 foward on a team. Ever.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
So you are one that wants to sign him just because we have no one else at this very moment lol wow. I expected a bit more from you bud. We sign KO at 7M...I hope your satisfied with just making the Pos every year because that's all you will get. We didn't sign Streit, and Donovan is longgggg gone and this teams defense is doing just fine. Seriously bud think about what you are saying. Let's give KOs largely flawed game 7x7...that is mike milbury bad. Giving him that contract will absolutly SCREW this team. Might as well start rebuilding again because no 1st line player who is in the double digits minus every year is ever ever EVER winning a cup as a top 2 foward on a team. Ever.

couldn't agree more. i wonder if the guys clamouring to give KO this type of ridiculous contract, were the same one's screaming to keep Streit, Moulson, Grabner and Vanek (who by the way, was benched for 3 straight games)?

if KO were consistently good, not a problem. but he is far from it.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Isles are still paying the price for Wang's cheapness. Most of the heavy backloaded contracts raise the salaries now. Check the teams cap hit and the actual salary they have to pay next season and all that when Isles have an internal cap in the first place. Isles have to pay now the money Wang saved years before. Should have traded Okposo last month.

Yup. Cheap **** Chuck

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Just curious - what if its 6yrs at $5.8m. Would you consider it then?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

There's not enough money, whom else would you want to lose then.
6.4M more to pay next season only for existing contracts, Okposo, Nielsen, Martin, Cizikas, Strome, Prince not included. 2017/18 even without Clutterbuck, CDH, Greiss and replacing them with NHL minimum salaries (650k) they have to pay 6.9M more than this season, but you know that replacing Clutterbuck, CDH, Greiss isn't possible to replace at league minimum.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006

Absolutely. I'd go 6-6.5 for 6 years. People here make it seems like he sucks. he has his flaws, but will be tough to replace. Thats going rate, maybe even a bit under for a foward with his pedigree. I think its a no brainer at 6/5.8.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Absolutely. I'd go 6-6.5 for 6 years. People here make it seems like he sucks. he has his flaws, but will be tough to replace. Thats going rate, maybe even a bit under for a foward with his pedigree. I think its a no brainer at 6/5.8.

Then you need to reduce the team salary with other players. Whom will you trade or not sign to save 6-6.5M? Don't mention Strait, Zidlicky, Boulton and Bernier, they might be calculated off the books for next season already.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Then you need to reduce the team salary with other players. Whom will you trade or not sign to save 6-6.5M? Don't mention Strait, Zidlicky, Boulton and Bernier, they might be calculated off the books for next season already.
Bailey, Kulemin, Grabo-just off the top of my head.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
No I don't sign him at 6x 5.8 that's still $6M virtually being wasted. Point is with his flaws and the fact he isn't even a regular with JT it is a waste of $...we sign him to that we will never get a real 1st line elite winger to play with JT. At 6M he will always be our 2nd highest paid foward behind JT and we will never we win a cup that way. His salary needs to be completely gone or making $4M on the 2nd line which will never happen. Is he worth 6M to Vancouver, buffalo, Toronto, CBJ ? Sure but to a team approaching it's window we need someone better. Idc how...he is not and will never be the answer unless his flaws are diminished tremendously until then his offense doesn't matter and his negated buy his bad play. Crosby/ Malkin , Seguin/ Benn , Towes/ Kane , Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kuznestov , Getzlaf / Perry... Tavares /...Okposo ? One of these ain't like the other. End of story. Just like Moulson hos offense is not worth his flaws and that fact he has zero chemistry with JT anymore doesńt help . We have a constant carousel around our captain this year because KO is not a true 1st line winger... If he was then he can get 6-7M from us.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
No I don't sign him at 6x 5.8 that's still $6M virtually being wasted. Point is with his flaws and the fact he isn't even a regular with JT it is a waste of $...we sign him to that we will never get a real 1st line elite winger to play with JT. At 6M he will always be our 2nd highest paid foward behind JT and we will never we win a cup that way. His salary needs to be completely gone or making $4M on the 2nd line which will never happen. Is he worth 6M to Vancouver, buffalo, Toronto, CBJ ? Sure but to a team approaching it's window we need someone better. Idc how...he is not and will never be the answer unless his flaws are diminished tremendously until then his offense doesn't matter and his negated buy his bad play. Crosby/ Malkin , Seguin/ Benn , Towes/ Kane , Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kuznestov , Getzlaf / Perry... Tavares /...Okposo ? One of these ain't like the other. End of story. Just like Moulson hos offense is not worth his flaws and that fact he has zero chemistry with JT anymore doesńt help . We have a constant carousel around our captain this year because KO is not a true 1st line winger... If he was then he can get 6-7M from us.

Okposo is a good #3, we just need that #2 right now. I'd gladly sign Okposo at a 6 million deal if we're clearing other space to make room for another 6,7, or 8 million dollar player.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Okposo is a good #3, we just need that #2 right now. I'd gladly sign Okposo at a 6 million deal if we're clearing other space to make room for another 6,7, or 8 million dollar player.

Yes KO is a good #3 and id give him 6 IF we got a #2 but I'm not certain we would if we give him 6 two years from now JT will get 10 then our #2 7-8M KO 6 Frans 5 just seems on the high side.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yes KO is a good #3 and id give him 6 IF we got a #2 but I'm not certain we would if we give him 6 two years from now JT will get 10 then our #2 7-8M KO 6 Frans 5 just seems on the high side.

Well, the salary cap is expected to rise 2.6 million this summer, so there's a bit more wiggle room. In fact, if we took that 2.6 and just gave it to Okposo it'd be nearly 6 million. With departures of Zidlicky, Boulton, Bernier, and Strait (I know some will need to be replaced, but not all) the money could be there if Okposo is willing to take less than 7 million.

We should have about 20 million this summer and we need to sign:

Okposo
Nielsen
Martin
Cizikas (RFA)
Strome (RFA)
Prince (RFA)
Berube (RFA)

Okposo takes 6.5
Nielsen takes 5
Martin can have 2.5 (I think that's generous)

There's still 6 million to get the other four done, and it shouldn't take that much. With a trade, we could clear/swap salary for a #2. If resigning Okposo comes down to whether or not Prince and Berube are kept around, I'd drop them in a second.

On the other side, if Okposo walks, we'll have even more money to land a top tier player via trade if Snow decides to go that route.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

There's no need to worry about signing JT. It's just a matter of giving Grabovski money to Tavares instead.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
And maybe Kulemin's too ;)

Oh yeah def grabo and kulemin lol that's how I think we all look at it. I wouldn't mind kulemin on a 1 year deal for cheap if Beauvillier isn't ready yet. Grabo can go though...hope he has a long successful career else where. PK your post before this one about salary was pretty spot in and I knew it possible we could sign KO and a 1st line winger. I just don't know if we do. If we do I can see KO being traded not long after if MDC finally comes along. Between Frans, Lee, strome, MDC, KO, Barzal? Nelson etc I don't see many 2nd line spots available if MDC come along 2-3 years from now and puts up KO numbers. We could focus on a Dman. Fowards are deep for a while.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
There's not enough money, whom else would you want to lose then.
6.4M more to pay next season only for existing contracts, Okposo, Nielsen, Martin, Cizikas, Strome, Prince not included. 2017/18 even without Clutterbuck, CDH, Greiss and replacing them with NHL minimum salaries (650k) they have to pay 6.9M more than this season, but you know that replacing Clutterbuck, CDH, Greiss isn't possible to replace at league minimum.

As of now, we can't say for certain if the increases in salary will prevent the Isles from signing more players. Until Malkin/Ledecky take over complete operations of the team there is no actual proof of what the Isles will or will not spend. If the owners are willing to put more money into their product then the higher salary to lower cap hit ratio is actually a benefit for a team looking to contend.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
As of now, we can't say for certain if the increases in salary will prevent the Isles from signing more players. Until Malkin/Ledecky take over complete operations of the team there is no actual proof of what the Isles will or will not spend. If the owners are willing to put more money into their product then the higher salary to lower cap hit ratio is actually a benefit for a team looking to contend.

Of course we can't be certain what they will do, but I think we can assume that they will keep at least what was spent this season. There are many questions which could change a lot. Beside the need to sign or replace Okposo, Nielsen, Martin, Cizikas, Strome, Prince, and Berube they might replace the coaching staff and if they work with the same budget they might have around 11M for the players to do that.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Fine. Forget it. Let's roll with Greiss/Berube in net. Let Okposo walk and sign one of the plethora of stud free agents available like the amazing Radim Vrbata or Jiri Hudler. Let's trade Hamonic for Eberle because that's another stud move. Next season Stanley Cup here we come.

Flawed KO who pretty much won us 3/4 points alone last week and has shown he can step it up in the playoffs. Someone we drafted, spent time and money for development, and is the third most coveted free agent on most list (2nd or many) but let's just let him walk.

The same people that wanted to keep Streit? The same people wanting to let Streit walk because Donovan was ready and then spent the entire season whining about it only to be bailed out when Snow finally got Leddy/Boychuk? No thanks...don't feel like going through that again unless your message to JT is "you have permission to start talking to other teams right now".

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Fine. Forget it. Let's roll with Greiss/Berube in net. Let Okposo walk and sign one of the plethora of stud free agents available like the amazing Radim Vrbata or Jiri Hudler. Let's trade Hamonic for Eberle because that's another stud move. Next season Stanley Cup here we come.

Flawed KO who pretty much won us 3/4 points alone last week and has shown he can step it up in the playoffs. Someone we drafted, spent time and money for development, and is the third most coveted free agent on most list (2nd or many) but let's just let him walk.

The same people that wanted to keep Streit? The same people wanting to let Streit walk because Donovan was ready and then spent the entire season whining about it only to be bailed out when Snow finally got Leddy/Boychuk? No thanks...don't feel like going through that again unless your message to JT is "you have permission to start talking to other teams right now".

Greiss/Berube frees so much salary.
Okposo at 7M is expensive and you need to sign him long term. I'm also sure you could find games where Okposo lost us points.
Eberle wasn't mentioned.
Streit for 5x5M, really? I was happy at that time he wasn't signed, otherwise we might not have Leddy now.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Greiss/Berube frees so much salary.
Okposo at 7M is expensive and you need to sign him long term. I'm also sure you could find games where Okposo lost us points.
Eberle wasn't mentioned.
Streit for 5x5M, really? I was happy at that time he wasn't signed, otherwise we might not have Leddy now.

I included Eberle to follow along with the ridiculous logic of letting good players with flaws walk because we can just get perfect players with no flaws so easily.

I'd actually like to see examples of games where KO costs us points. He's a forward ,not a defender. His giveaways are in the same areas as Tavares' giveaways. Usually deep in the offensive zone or up near the opposing teams blue line. JT had a ridiculous play last night where the Sens were breaking out on a 2-1. JT tried to swipe at the puck and stopped skating and missed it and it lead to a 2-1. Fortunately the lone defender played it well and didn't result in a goal, but both are giveaway machines. JT finally scored last night to break out of a funk, but you can't ignore that KO did the same thing last week helping us to key victories.

It's become clear this season that JT needs a number 2. He can't do it on his own. He goes into slumps just like the team does. KO proved he can get us out of slumps by scoring key goals to win games. I think KO is the right guy to have as a number 2. Would I like Stamkos more? Sure, if we get rid of Okposos and replace him with JT i'll do cartwheels. Unfortunately that's the ONLY free agent available that would change my opinion. No to Backes, no to Ladd, no to Staal. Now, if we can procure someone in a trade like others mentioned it will cost hefty assets. So why would we let a guy walk, when it's just money, only to get another guy that costs assets and will also get money? The only way to replace KO logically is through FA signing, there are no FA's worth replacing KO with besides Stamkos (that's putting all our eggs in one basket and I still think a huge crapshoot) and I'm not happy promoting within because we don't have the talent to do that right now. If the Rangers can dump an aging Gomez in a trade we will be able to do the same thing with KO if need be in the future. Just pay the guy, it's the only route that makes sense.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I included Eberle to follow along with the ridiculous logic of letting good players with flaws walk because we can just get perfect players with no flaws so easily.

I'd actually like to see examples of games where KO costs us points. He's a forward ,not a defender. His giveaways are in the same areas as Tavares' giveaways. Usually deep in the offensive zone or up near the opposing teams blue line. JT had a ridiculous play last night where the Sens were breaking out on a 2-1. JT tried to swipe at the puck and stopped skating and missed it and it lead to a 2-1. Fortunately the lone defender played it well and didn't result in a goal, but both are giveaway machines. JT finally scored last night to break out of a funk, but you can't ignore that KO did the same thing last week helping us to key victories.

It's become clear this season that JT needs a number 2. He can't do it on his own. He goes into slumps just like the team does. KO proved he can get us out of slumps by scoring key goals to win games. I think KO is the right guy to have as a number 2. Would I like Stamkos more? Sure, if we get rid of Okposos and replace him with JT i'll do cartwheels. Unfortunately that's the ONLY free agent available that would change my opinion. No to Backes, no to Ladd, no to Staal. Now, if we can procure someone in a trade like others mentioned it will cost hefty assets. So why would we let a guy walk, when it's just money, only to get another guy that costs assets and will also get money? The only way to replace KO logically is through FA signing, there are no FA's worth replacing KO with besides Stamkos (that's putting all our eggs in one basket and I still think a huge crapshoot) and I'm not happy promoting within because we don't have the talent to do that right now. If the Rangers can dump an aging Gomez in a trade we will be able to do the same thing with KO if need be in the future. Just pay the guy, it's the only route that makes sense.

This is not a bad idea, to sign Okposo first and trade him later.
Yesterday I was sure Okposo is gone because there's just not enough money. Now, if it's possible to trade Halak, Bailey, Grabo, it would free much salary and could change many things. Maybe the chance to sign Okposo at 10% is an old point Staple knows for some time but it isn't up to date. Maybe trading Halak is a recent point which could change the chance to sign Okposo.
Who knows, everything is just not the normal way Snow operates. I also think some points could be just lies if this is only on Snow.
New owners must be already in charge now. Snow shouldn't be allowed to make such major decisions before new owners take over. Still many things can change till the end of the season, thought processes never stop and players and other teams might change their view too. Still it's very interesting.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This is not a bad idea, to sign Okposo first and trade him later.

It is an awful idea (sorry Leap). Assuming we sign him, he will only sign for an overpayment. Last year Garth couldn't move him for much and this year he has not done much to improve that. So if we do sign him we won't be able to trade him for much more than a bag of pucks. No one will want him at over 7 million.

But if they do, because you never know, then they earn the fail stick of the year.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
It is an awful idea (sorry Leap). Assuming we sign him, he will only sign for an overpayment. Last year Garth couldn't move him for much and this year he has not done much to improve that. So if we do sign him we won't be able to trade him for much more than a bag of pucks. No one will want him at over 7 million.

But if they do, because you never know, then they earn the fail stick of the year.

I would guess Okposo would give us some discount, which wouldn't look so bad. Only trading other players makes it possible to sign Okposo otherwise even 5M per wouldn't be possible in my eyes.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I would guess Okposo would give us some discount, which wouldn't look so bad. Only trading other players makes it possible to sign Okposo otherwise even 5M per wouldn't be possible in my eyes.

Preliminary talks shut down in the first half of the season.

I don't think Okposo wants a hometown discount. I think he wants out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad