Islanders Point Blank: Isles reportedly NOT close to agreeing on extension with Okposo

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
CdH can't replace Hamonic because they're on the same pairing and play different sides, and there's no way Pulock can step up and play 26+ minutes a night yet. The only deal I make with Edmonton is for Hall (or their first), but even then we still have an issue with replacing him on D. The only UFA D I can think of are Hamhuis and Yandle but Hamhuis won't come out East and we don't need Yandle.

Am I the only one wondering about Taylor Hall's productivity? Two down years in a row now. Just sayin'...

And Jason demers could be a guy the isles target to replace Hamonic but mark my words, there is no way in hell snow signs him... Even if okposo walks and they have spare $$.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Am I the only one wondering about Taylor Hall's productivity? Two down years in a row now. Just sayin'...

And Jason demers could be a guy the isles target to replace Hamonic but mark my words, there is no way in hell snow signs him... Even if okposo walks and they have spare $$.

Doesn't worry me. He was dominant at the beginning of the year on a complete tire fire of a team. Give him Tavares and Lee with a legitimate defense to break the puck out and I think he'd look really really good. Plus he's bring speed to our first line which is sorely needed.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You can have your cake (Okposo) and eat it too if you deal Hamonic for a either picks 2 or 3 in the entry draft -- which should go to a Western Canadian team. As I've said before, Puljujarvi and Laine are supposed to be the best wingers out of Finland since Selanne. Both of them should be able to step into an NHL lineup, and they'll cost all of one million dollars over 3 years.

Big gamble... counting so heavily on an 18 yr old rookie.

Coming out of last season's draft, we had posters saying Okposo should be moved because we had Barzal and MDC. Barzal proved he was not ready for the NHL and MDC went on to crapped the bed in the first half of his season.

Look at Edmonton and their bluechipper Nurse. He he'd been counted on heavily, asked to do more then he is ready for in his rookie season and struggled badly.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
How did Blake do? Was he worth the money?

That's the point

15 goals and 52 points the following season..... would never even sniff 30g let alone 40 ever again. He was effectively replaced the following year by Josef Vasicek (or Guerin or Comrie) who outscored him, so even if they re-signed Blake, they weren't making the playoffs.

Blake didn't play in a vacuum, and neither does Okposo.

Moulson's a great recent example. Here are Moulson's goal totals:

30 (2010)
31 (2011)
36(2012)
15 (lockout)(2013)
23(2014)--not on the Isles

Let's say we traded Moulson to Buffalo after the 2011 season...do you really think he'd put up 36 with Buffalo?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Compared to Okposo, yes they are. He scores more than he gets scored on. You can keep pushing your narrative about them being comparable to prove something, but they aren't. Tavares is superior in just about every way, end of story. Saying "well both are flawed" is just grossly blurring the facts so that they go your way.

You got way too wrapped up in thinking I was comparing them apples for apples that you completely missed the point. Missed it entirely. I'll put it in more simpler terms for you.

We shouldn't spend ___ million to sign ______ because we can get a more complete player for that money such as _________.

1st set of answers: 7, Okposo, Tarasenko
2nd set of answers: 10, JT, Toews

What I take umbrage with is that players like Okposo, Tarasenko, JT, and Toews are so easy to obtain. We have the number 1 free agency prize, yet because we know how 'flawed' he is we can just easily get Tarasenko or some other high end wing for him like picking him off a shelf on Walmart. Not that easy at all.... Wasn't too long ago we'd be thrilled if a player like Okposo signed with us (i still think it's that way) but now we can just 'easily' replace him. I call BS.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
You got way too wrapped up in thinking I was comparing them apples for apples that you completely missed the point. Missed it entirely. I'll put it in more simpler terms for you.

We shouldn't spend ___ million to sign ______ because we can get a more complete player for that money such as _________.

1st set of answers: 7, Okposo, Tarasenko
2nd set of answers: 10, JT, Toews

What I take umbrage with is that players like Okposo, Tarasenko, JT, and Toews are so easy to obtain. We have the number 1 free agency prize, yet because we know how 'flawed' he is we can just easily get Tarasenko or some other high end wing for him like picking him off a shelf on Walmart. Not that easy at all.... Wasn't too long ago we'd be thrilled if a player like Okposo signed with us (i still think it's that way) but now we can just 'easily' replace him. I call BS.

I don't recall saying Okposo can be very easily replaced with a free agent signing, but fine. I'm saying he'd possibly be easier to replace than people think when they just blindly look at his point totals. Replacing a 1C is much harder than finding a top line winger. No, you can't just find a more complete player to replace Tavares. I get you're not comparing apples to apples. Because you're comparing apples to oranges.

I don't know why you put Tarasenko there, he's vastly superior in every way and couldn't be had for 7 in free agency anyway. If you want a suitable name, it's probably Eriksson. He's up for grabs and you can already find people advocating for Snow taking a run at him.

Last edited:

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Big gamble... counting so heavily on an 18 yr old rookie.

Coming out of last season's draft, we had posters saying Okposo should be moved because we had Barzal and MDC. Barzal proved he was not ready for the NHL and MDC went on to crapped the bed in the first half of his season.

Look at Edmonton and their bluechipper Nurse. He he'd been counted on heavily, asked to do more then he is ready for in his rookie season and struggled badly.

Barzal was picked 15th overall. He had injury during his draft year. He wasn't expected to make the team. Dal Colle, what can you say? He's a wildcard at this point. You can go off his numbers at Oshawa or Kingston.

However, Puljujarvi and Laine are expected to be NHL ready, as a 2/3 pick should be in this era. They are premier wingers who can step in and at least give you 40-50 points. Tavares will benefit from having a natural winger. If they give you 15-30-45, it's a rousing success.

The expansion draft for Vegas is probably coming, and it's looking awfully generous. Taking an 18 year old now might save a Calvin de Haan or Ryan Pulock down the line.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Barzal was picked 15th overall. He had injury during his draft year. He wasn't expected to make the team. Dal Colle, what can you say? He's a wildcard at this point. You can go off his numbers at Oshawa or Kingston.

However, Puljujarvi and Laine are expected to be NHL ready, as a 2/3 pick should be in this era. They are premier wingers who can step in and at least give you 40-50 points. Tavares will benefit from having a natural winger. If they give you 15-30-45, it's a rousing success.

The expansion draft for Vegas is probably coming, and it's looking awfully generous. Taking an 18 year old now might save a Calvin de Haan or Ryan Pulock down the line.

We came out of last season's draft with fans posting that could move Okposo at that point because of Barzal/MDC. No concerns about whether they would have growing pains, would need a few more yrs to develop.

Would I be shocked if Snow moved Hamonic for a lottery pick? Not at this point because I think the front office is very high on Pulock's upside and the isles could have a longterm top 4 of Leddy/Boychuk/CDH/Pulock.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI

Hamonic is not worth the #2 or #3 pick in this draft. It's not an insult to Hammer but more of what you said. 18 year old, cost-controlled behemoths who can contribute right away are EXTREMELY valuable.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think Hamonic + NYI's 2016 1st for Edmonton's 1st (assuming not 1st overall) + like Brandon Davidson is somewhat realistic, as least as a base.

If you can get Laine or Puljujarvi for Hamonic, take that and find a defenseman elsewhere.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Hamonic is not worth the #2 or #3 pick in this draft. It's not an insult to Hammer but more of what you said. 18 year old, cost-controlled behemoths who can contribute right away are EXTREMELY valuable.

I said to the Edmonton board, we'd give them Beauvillier or Dal Colle, as well.

They can take either. So it's Oilers 1st for Isles 1st, Beauvillier/Dal Colle, and Hamonic.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Imagine we had traded ko fir a late first (perhaps we could have even gotten the minnesota first) and we could package hamonic+isles first+acquired first foredmonton first at the draft. That is why you should try to get return on your not returning pending ufa's. Another mistake by snow. Hopefully the new owners replace him.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Imagine we had traded ko fir a late first (perhaps we could have even gotten the minnesota first) and we could package hamonic+isles first+acquired first foredmonton first at the draft. That is why you should try to get return on your not returning pending ufa's. Another mistake by snow. Hopefully the new owners replace him.

Snow must go!!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I would have been pretty disgusted, to see the isles dumping core players at the TDL.
I know some fans held the view that the isles should have moved the guys headed for unrestricted free agency. I cannot really rag on Snow here because I agreed with him.

I did expect a more competitive team then we have gotten.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
How did Blake do? Was he worth the money?

That's the point

15 goals and 52 points the following season..... would never even sniff 30g let alone 40 ever again. He was effectively replaced the following year by Josef Vasicek (or Guerin or Comrie) who outscored him, so even if they re-signed Blake, they weren't making the playoffs.

Blake was fools gold. He played by himself very well, but to the detriment of his club way too much. He got his payday and then checked out mentally. Good riddance.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Imagine if we had traded Okposo and our first (Bailey) for Petrangelo. Too late now, but we should have.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I would have been pretty disgusted, to see the isles dumping core players at the TDL.
I know some fans held the view that the isles should have moved the guys headed for unrestricted free agency. I cannot really rag on Snow here because I agreed with him.

Considering how badly okposo is playing I think it is fair to say that at this point in time both your opinion and snow's stance is looking pretty short-sighted. Not to rag on you, but there is a reconing after any decision and this one doesn't look kind to snow.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Considering how badly okposo is playing I think it is fair to say that at this point in time both your opinion and snow's stance is looking pretty short-sighted. Not to rag on you, but there is a reconing after any decision and this one doesn't look kind to snow.

Exactly, and the headline of this thread is another head scratcher. As if Snow were allowed to make major signings. Snow isn't allowed and will be out the door before July.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I wouldn't have.

The only thing that has disgusted me this year is how poorly this team has played, outside of about a dozen games. Anyone watching this team on a daily basis could see there is simply not enough there to take the next step. Without a few lucky bounces on their western Canada road trip, this team could have been bypassed by Philadelphia and on the outside looking in right now.

Last edited:

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Okposo or Hamonic traded with Bailey or Nelson or whomever for a skilled player would not have been dumping but fixing the lineup.

I'm glad Okposo didn't get traded for picks or Sebastian Collberg, our ace in the whole who will score the Stanley Cup game winner.

But.....a Brent Sutter/Patty LaFontaine trade would have been good medicine.

Too bad we don't have a real GM.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I wouldn't have.

The only thing that has disgusted me this year is how poorly this team has played, outside of about a dozen games. Anyone watching this team on a daily basis could see there is simply not enough there to take the next step. Without a few lucky bounces on their western Canada road trip, this team could have been bypassed by Philadelphia and on the outside looking in right now.

I have thought(hoped), that a 1st rounder playoff loss would cost Cappy his job.

Now I am wondering if missing the playoffs altogether, will cost Snow his position or if it just puts him on the hotseat going into 2016-2017.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Bro, you lost me completely when you compared Okie to JT. There is no favorable comparison to be made, and the reflects badly on Okposo, not JT. No one said JT was a perfect player, but he IS a player that we will be talking about for decades after he finishes playing. No one will even remember Okposo. JT is this team's heart and soul. Sure, he tries too hard at times (that, by the way, plays into your argument to keep Okposo...he tries too hard because he doesn't have any real support). He has had a down year this year, but he is still a real stud. Okposo...not so much. I am not calling Okposo a slug; he gets his points. But, he is not a franchise cornerstone. I'll let you fight it out with the other posters.

There's not fighting going on, you still think a comparison means equality for some reason. Perhaps you should keep a dictionary close by. I'm sorry you couldn't keep up and completely missed the point. I'll type slower next time.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't recall saying Okposo can be very easily replaced with a free agent signing, but fine. I'm saying he'd possibly be easier to replace than people think when they just blindly look at his point totals. Replacing a 1C is much harder than finding a top line winger. No, you can't just find a more complete player to replace Tavares. I get you're not comparing apples to apples. Because you're comparing apples to oranges.

I don't know why you put Tarasenko there, he's vastly superior in every way and couldn't be had for 7 in free agency anyway. If you want a suitable name, it's probably Eriksson. He's up for grabs and you can already find people advocating for Snow taking a run at him.

Fine, i'll put Eriksson there. I had a hard time coming up with somebody to compare since Okposo is so highly ranked as forwards go. There aren't a lot to choose from so I just picked one of the first names that came to mind. Only reason I didn't choose Eriksson is because one of the themes on ditching Okposo is he is injury prone, so I thought Louis 'Egg Shell' Eriksson wouldn't be that shiny of an object.

Also, I realize you never said Okposo could be easily replaced, it just goes along with the theme of many posters on here and is part of the general discussion.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The possibility of losing KO and unless Nelson and Lee can score more goals next year, they need to find ways to increase the scoring factors. I am thinking that they either have to find someone from the back end who can score more (which is hard to do in a trade) or they will have to trade up to draft a forward who can or trade for one. Since it is easier to trade for a prospect than an established goal scorer. I am seriously looking at Matthew Tkachuk who I think play likes Cizikas but with better finishing and a bit stronger on skate. He is the guy I would like on 1st line and I believe he may not need any further development because his game is similar to Avs Landeskog who play so well in the NHL right away. I saw enough of the WJC to convince that he is a very good player and I would package Hammer, the 1st pick and extra for him and maybe a D who can play at the number 4 position. I do not even care about the position he plays as you can always sign a vet RW or just promote one within to play on the RW (possible candidate is Barzal or JHS). Isles need to find what these top prospects has so it comes to the expansion draft, they will be able to know who they can keep or let go.

I like Strome a lot and still sees his potential, but I see him as a strong chip to use in a trade. You have to give something they other team want to get something that you want. Isles have way too many small play making type of centres and they need to trade one away to get a forward who will go to the net constantly and score goals that way and right now they have to assess who that player can be or go out and trade or draft one. Again it is easier to trade for a prospect than a proven NHL player.

Try to resign Nielsen as soon as they can so they will know where they stand with the centre position. CC also should be a keeper as he is one of the few players on the team who is a true leader. For KO I do not think it will happen or it would have been done already.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
There's not fighting going on, you still think a comparison means equality for some reason. Perhaps you should keep a dictionary close by. I'm sorry you couldn't keep up and completely missed the point. I'll type slower next time.

There is absolutely no need to be offensive. Sure, you compared the two. And, you implied that they should be treated similarly. You specifically said that they are both flawed players and you can't understand why everyone would be willing to hand JT a blank check while holding Okposo to a different standard. "[H]ow come we are willing to give Tavares a blank check and ignore his flaws, when we give Okposo so much grief." Here is where you explain your brilliant logic: "I am purposely comparing them using the same logic." Wouldn't "same" mean "equal" as in "equal logic?" Go ahead and try to debate that. :laugh: So, I'll say it again. JT and Okposo are not similar players. They are not the same players. They don't have equal value. And they are not going to be treated similarly. Again, I'll sit back to watch you "fight" it out with the others who also disagree with you. I was speaking loosely about a fight...or debate. You won't find that in the dictionary though. You would need some common sense to understand that. But, I think your lack thereof leads us back to why you are comparing JT and Okposo in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad