Islanders Point Blank: Isles reportedly NOT close to agreeing on extension with Okposo

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Fine, i'll put Eriksson there. I had a hard time coming up with somebody to compare since Okposo is so highly ranked as forwards go. There aren't a lot to choose from so I just picked one of the first names that came to mind. Only reason I didn't choose Eriksson is because one of the themes on ditching Okposo is he is injury prone, so I thought Louis 'Egg Shell' Eriksson wouldn't be that shiny of an object.

Also, I realize you never said Okposo could be easily replaced, it just goes along with the theme of many posters on here and is part of the general discussion.

People want to ditch Okposo BECAUSE he's injury prone? Have to say, that's a new one to me, at the very least I see that there's a single mention of the word 'prone' in this thread ("prone to turnovers") so it can't be one of the more popular themes. I realize Eriksson might be injury prone (and older), that's a concern if he were to be given a long contract although I think we've already established that there are no magical perfect players in free agency. BUT if we're looking for names to replace Okposo, Eriksson on a solid contract could be one.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
People want to ditch Okposo BECAUSE he's injury prone? Have to say, that's a new one to me, at the very least I see that there's a single mention of the word 'prone' in this thread ("prone to turnovers") so it can't be one of the more popular themes. I realize Eriksson might be injury prone (and older), that's a concern if he were to be given a long contract although I think we've already established that there are no magical perfect players in free agency. BUT if we're looking for names to replace Okposo, Eriksson on a solid contract could be one.

If Isles don't want to pay KO and Bruins don't want to meet Eriksson's demands, then how are the Isles getting Eriksson on a 'solid contract.'

The B's much like the Isles can pay him, it would be money or term or both as to why he would not resign with Boston - all in all, it means he would be the highest paid forward on the Isles to play for them.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Hamonic is not worth the #2 or #3 pick in this draft. It's not an insult to Hammer but more of what you said. 18 year old, cost-controlled behemoths who can contribute right away are EXTREMELY valuable.

Never underestimate the desperation of teams that have been trash for a decade.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Fine, i'll put Eriksson there. I had a hard time coming up with somebody to compare since Okposo is so highly ranked as forwards go. There aren't a lot to choose from so I just picked one of the first names that came to mind. Only reason I didn't choose Eriksson is because one of the themes on ditching Okposo is he is injury prone, so I thought Louis 'Egg Shell' Eriksson wouldn't be that shiny of an object.

Also, I realize you never said Okposo could be easily replaced, it just goes along with the theme of many posters on here and is part of the general discussion.

In the past 8 seasons, Eriksson's missed more than 3 games only once, and has only missed one game over the past two seasons. Not sure how he's comparable to an egg shell, as he's mostly been pretty durable over his career.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hamonic is not worth the #2 or #3 pick in this draft. It's not an insult to Hammer but more of what you said. 18 year old, cost-controlled behemoths who can contribute right away are EXTREMELY valuable.

No he isn't, but Hamonic AND NYI's 2016 1st rounder might be, to a desperate team in the market for a RHD shutdown defenseman that fits their age and salary structure.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
If Isles don't want to pay KO and Bruins don't want to meet Eriksson's demands, then how are the Isles getting Eriksson on a 'solid contract.'

The B's much like the Isles can pay him, it would be money or term or both as to why he would not resign with Boston - all in all, it means he would be the highest paid forward on the Isles to play for them.

If we're gonna dissect this, then I agree. I'm not the first one to suggest Eriksson and my main issue with the idea is that the Isles won't be able to give him a better contract than the Bruins. Still, if we're talking about a guy we could rather throw Okposo's money at to get a more complete scoring winger then he's a possibility.

In the past 8 seasons, Eriksson's missed more than 3 games only once, and has only missed one game over the past two seasons. Not sure how he's comparable to an egg shell, as he's mostly been pretty durable over his career.
I thought he was referring to his concussion history. Some possible concern there for sure given his age. We know how Grabovski is doing these days.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna

Injury concerns haven been and still are among the biggest concerns regarding okposo. Shoulder, detached retina come to mind as examples.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
He's such a ***** out there. Go get your 7 million somewhere else you little *****.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Injury concerns haven been and still are among the biggest concerns regarding okposo. Shoulder, detached retina come to mind as examples.

Might be, but that's not what people criticise regularly when talking about whether to sign him longterm. It's his style of play.

Last edited:

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
We have zero secondary scoring or scoring period but we should let Okposo walk??? We have no internal replacements ready next year and the UFA market is pretty crappy other than Stamkos and Eriksson.

How does it make sense on any level for a team desperate for goals to let go its leading point guy?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Milbury said that Okpie probably wont resign.

He didn't say that it was a result of the LIRR/commute, but I feel it in my Bones

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
We have zero secondary scoring or scoring period but we should let Okposo walk??? We have no internal replacements ready next year and the UFA market is pretty crappy other than Stamkos and Eriksson.

How does it make sense on any level for a team desperate for goals to let go its leading point guy?
The World According to Garth!
Worst of all, think of Kyle being an Islander killer for the next 5 years, and he can sign wherever he wants.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
if not for kyle, we would have lost the only 2 or so games we've actually won in the last 7 games, and be on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoffs.

but let him walk of course right..?

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
if not for kyle, we would have lost the only 2 or so games we've actually won in the last 7 games, and be on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoffs.

Right now I think we can all agree that KO is a vet on this team. In order to be paid big bucks like that on top of putting up points he needs to lead this team out of slumps and be a leader on the ice and do what is necessary. I don't see him getting dirty or even playing hard nosed. He stays within the confines of his game whether it works or it doesn't.

I want my 7 million dollar player to be a leader on the ice. He's anything but a leader.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

If he wants to become the highest paid forward on the team, yes. He's at best, the third best forward on the team, which in reality really isn't saying much at all.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Right now I think we can all agree that KO is a vet on this team. In order to be paid big bucks like that on top of putting up points he needs to lead this team out of slumps and be a leader on the ice and do what is necessary. I don't see him getting dirty or even playing hard nosed. He stays within the confines of his game whether it works or it doesn't.

I want my 7 million dollar player to be a leader on the ice. He's anything but a leader.

We can say that about JT now as well, cant we? He doesnt seem to be much of a leader right now either. But, Id still want to keep him and give him his money.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
With Vaneks career in the toilet at this point, he now loves Brooklyn and Isles acquire him...KO signs in MIN to contribute to the long line of baffling 'MIN love that doesn't result in actually winning anything' Wild.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
We can say that about JT now as well, cant we? He doesnt seem to be much of a leader right now either. But, Id still want to keep him and give him his money.

You are absolutely right, if anything Okposo has been a leader on the ice during these slumps considering the big goals he's scored. Can't place blame on him without blaming guys like Boychuk and JT as well. Okposo has scored at least three or four big goals in the last two weeks.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
It is possible it is just not all about money. He just started a young family and probably wants to have more time with the baby and spending extra time each home game at Brooklyn may be a bit hard for him and his wife.

I see that he may be interested in playing in Minny closer to his parents but more likely he may end up somewhere in the mid West or central Canada if Minny has no room to add him (cap or roster wise).

I am sure that he would like to be paid at least 6.5 M per yr unless he takes a hometown discount or playing somewhere with lower taxes.

If Isles can't retain his service, they need to move on and find replacement within or from another team who can score and set up players. They can also gamble and try either JHS or Barzal there or use another centre who can shoot right. Scoring RW are difficult to find in the NHL and there is a very good one with very high ceiling in this year draft but Isles have to pay up big to trade for him. The question is if Isles is bold enough to do just that?

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Isles are still paying the price for Wang's cheapness. Most of the heavy backloaded contracts raise the salaries now. Check the teams cap hit and the actual salary they have to pay next season and all that when Isles have an internal cap in the first place. Isles have to pay now the money Wang saved years before. Should have traded Okposo last month.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
How anyone still wants him on this team at first line money no less is scary and makes me reconsider the boards level of intelligence lol because he's scored a few goals lately we want him ? Jesus Christ...that's his job ! It's what he doesn't do which is everything else lol **** me man. Scary. But but but we don't have anyone to replace his goals...so the **** what ? You think Minnesota doesn't regret signing Vanek...but hey atleast they have his goals right ? Let's sign him to a 7 year deal so he can replace the goals we would be missing then we can regret the 7M the next 6 years. He can do us a favor and go sign for $7M somewhere else and hamstring another team lol Thanks for everything Kyle...sincerely, but it's just not working out anymore. Good luck and goodbye.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

He got hammered and had a nasty concussion that took a LONG time to heal. We all know you never fully recover from them. He's another big hit away from drinking through a straw and he ain't gonna get any faster to avoid them. So it's not the man games missed by injury as much as it is the type of injury.

Here's an article about him after the concussion and I'd argue he has never returned to the player he used to be. I followed Eriksson early on in his career and was a fan. He's never been the same since the Orpik hit unfortunately. I just don't know what else to tell you other than I've been following him for awhile and that's my assessment.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2014/12/22/7417141/loui-eriksson-and-frustrating-impatience

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
How anyone still wants him on this team at first line money no less is scary and makes me reconsider the boards level of intelligence lol because he's scored a few goals lately we want him ? Jesus Christ...that's his job ! It's what he doesn't do which is everything else lol **** me man. Scary. But but but we don't have anyone to replace his goals...so the **** what ? You think Minnesota doesn't regret signing Vanek...but hey atleast they have his goals right ? Let's sign him to a 7 year deal so he can replace the goals we would be missing then we can regret the 7M the next 6 years. He can do us a favor and go sign for $7M somewhere else and hamstring another team lol Thanks for everything Kyle...sincerely, but it's just not working out anymore. Good luck and goodbye.

I'm pretty sure they are happy making the playoffs every season. #thebigpicture#winscount#Donova....i meanDalCollewillfillhisshoes#I'macheapmofowhodoesn'twanttowin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad