Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Teams have been smothering Tavares basically everytime he tries to carry the puck into the offensive zone his entire career.

It seems like he's carrying the puck in a lot. But I guess the eye test is deceiving. If anything he has the puck mostly down low.

Surprised de Haan is there, surprised Leddy is not.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
interesting to learn that he played some F with London. too bad he isn't right handed.

he is a 3rd round pick, so let's hope he turns out more like Toews (4th rounder) than Graham (6th rounder).

maybe a better skating Hickey?

A better skating hickey is a top 2 dman.

I've watched vande somple. He's ok. I'm pretty sure he won't be an nhler. He reminds me a lot of Aaron Ness.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am excited to see many of the prospects in the AHL this coming season. MVS is one of them for sure. I will def be interested to see how he skates and competes in one-on-one battles.

I was never really impressed with Graham's skating with the BST. That and he didn't seem to work hard enough or get stronger to win battles. I always thought Graham would be best served going to Europe for a few years then come back to North America once he was better equiped to really compete.

Hopefully MVS is more Jared Spurgeon than Graham or Ness.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bridgeport is stacked with LHD.

I would have like to give him a shot, but he'd definitely see time in the ECHL.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I didn't realize, but Graham signed a two-way with the Avs. Wish him luck.

Also...what happened with Rocco Grimaldi? Seems the Panthers gave up on him and he signed (with the Avs)...He had 31 goals and 24 assists in the A last year (for the Rampage). This has Snow written all over it. I know he's a bit of a midget, but would have been worth picking him up.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Makes sense for him. He could get stuck in the ECHL if he signs with the isles or have a shot at making the opening roster if he signs with a team like Vegas.

Or, well, he may just not be NHL material.

Size is tempting, but you never know if A) the NYI don't see an NHL future and B) Somerby's camp feels he should be earning some nice dough right from the get-go.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I didn't realize, but Graham signed a two-way with the Avs. Wish him luck.

Also...what happened with Rocco Grimaldi? Seems the Panthers gave up on him and he signed (with the Avs)...He had 31 goals and 24 assists in the A last year (for the Rampage). This has Snow written all over it. I know he's a bit of a midget, but would have been worth picking him up.

Didn't FLA trade Grimaldi to the Aves?

I don't believe he went to Colorado as a free agent.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Didn't FLA trade Grimaldi to the Aves?

I don't believe he went to Colorado as a free agent.

He was traded to the Avs. My bad, I thought he was picked up.

It was for a backup goalie Reto Berra...He was like a 4th round pick in 2006...so pretty much for nothing.

I would have easily given up Berube for him!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yes, I believe Grimaldi was involved in the Reto Berra deal between FLA-COL.

Graham is a nothing prospect, AHL filler. Fitting that the Avs saw something in him.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
WJSS: Salo, Koivula, and well, Bellows... again

Well, the WJSS has come and past and it seems to have gotten more publicity than ever before. It was CHOCK full of future NHLers, current draft picks, and probably 90% of the WJC teams for each of the participants (Canada, Finland, Sweden, and USA).

Judging by the highlights, there was a ton of talent and fun play on display, despite it being 'summer hockey'. I sure enjoyed seeing all these kids as we headed into the Ivan Hlinka tourney.

Salo had 2-2-4 in 5 games. His highlights looked pretty nice, but I only saw highlights myself.

Koivula had a net-front goal and continues to look like a likely WJC candidate.

Bellows, however, had just one assist in 5 games for a stacked Team USA. This team USA consisted of players drafted in 2016 & 2017, and in a few cases first to go next summer, which basically means that Bellows was one of the older players and one of the few returnees from last winter's WJC.

Now, for comparison, also in 5 games, Mittelstadt had 9 points, Poehling had 7, Yamamoto had 6, Logan Brown had 5, Joey Anderson had 5, and Tufte had 4.

Among undrafted US players, Tkachuk (F) and Hughes (D) each had 5 points and Dman Farrance had a highlight reel coast-to-coast game-winning goal against Finland.

Killing it was Dman Adam Fox with his 9 points, including 5 against Canada in the final. Calgary is surely licking its chops over that 3rd rounder who, well, did nothing but produce his draft year.

Now I may be beating what some feel is a dead horse here, but almost too bitter for me is seeing that Shane Harper - yes, the same 5th round kid who thrived at BU as a pure rookie, leaving Bellows in his shadows - had 7 points at this event.

It seems to me that since being drafted, Bellows' one true highlight was the 2-goal performance at the WJC last winter. Since then, there's been little indication that he is even at the same level as his peers, much less better than them.

Can't wait for this kid to start giving us some indication that he's got a productive NHL future.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Well, the WJSS has come and past and it seems to have gotten more publicity than ever before. It was CHOCK full of future NHLers, current draft picks, and probably 90% of the WJC teams for each of the participants (Canada, Finland, Sweden, and USA).

Judging by the highlights, there was a ton of talent and fun play on display, despite it being 'summer hockey'. I sure enjoyed seeing all these kids as we headed into the Ivan Hlinka tourney.

Salo had 2-2-4 in 5 games. His highlights looked pretty nice, but I only saw highlights myself.

Bellows, however, had just one assist in 5 games for a stacked Team USA. This team USA consisted of players drafted in 2016 & 2017, and in a few cases first to go next summer, which basically means that Bellows was one of the older players and one of the few returnees from last winter's WJC.

Now, for comparison, also in 5 games, Mittelstadt had 9 points, Poehling had 7, Yamamoto had 6, Logan Brown had 5, Joey Anderson had 5, and Tufte had 4.

Among undrafted US players, Tkachuk (F) and Hughes (D) each had 5 points and Dman Farrance had a highlight reel coast-to-coast game-winning goal against Finland.

Killing it was Dman Adam Fox with his 9 points, including 5 against Canada in the final. Calgary is surely licking its chops over that 3rd rounder who, well, did nothing but produce his draft year.

Now I may be beating what some feel is a dead horse here, but almost too bitter for me is seeing that Shane Harper - yes, the same 5th round kid who thrived at BU as a pure rookie, leaving Bellows in his shadows - had 7 points at this event.

It seems to me that since being drafted, Bellows' one true highlight was the 2-goal performance at the WJC last winter. Since then, there's been little indication that he is even at the same level as his peers, much less better than them.

Can't wait for this kid to start giving us some indication that he's got a productive NHL future.

Regarding the bolded, I think people forget just how good Clayton Keller really is. It seems like all of Bellows' success was on the wing of Keller, which is concerning.

Yes, he has an NHL shot, but there is much more that goes into being a top six NHLer. Honestly, based off of what we've seen since being drafted, Bellows could end up being like a former 1st round pick, Raffi Torres. Torres was voted as the Best Shot and Most Dangerous in the Goal Area in an OHL coaches poll back in the day, but never amounted to top six upside. Now, I know Torres was a but undersized for the game's standards at the time, and he always had a bit of an edge, but I think as far as role, I wouldn't be shocked. He just hasn't really shown anything since being away from Clayton Keller.

Also, I heard through the grapevine that the Islanders were looking to poach Adam Fox from Calgary in the Travis Hamonic trade. The Flames, understandably so, were not willing to put him on the table. I've seen comparisons of Ryan Ellis thrown around lately, whom is a great #3 on a Stanley Cup final squad. I see Fox replacing Michael Stone down the road for the Flames.

Last edited:

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Regarding the bolded, I think people forget just how good Clayton Keller really is. It seems like all of Bellows' success was on the wing of Keller, which is concerning.

Yes, he has an NHL shot, but there is much more that goes into being a top six NHLer. Honestly, based off of what we've seen since being drafted, Bellows could end up being like a former 1st round pick, Raffi Torres. Torres was voted as the Best Shot and Most Dangerous in the Goal Area in an OHL coaches poll back in the day, but never amounted to top six upside. Now, I know Torres was a but undersized for the game's standards at the time, and he always had a bit of an edge, but I think as far as role, I wouldn't be shocked. He just hasn't really shown anything since being away from Clayton Keller.

Also, I heard through the grapevine that the Islanders were looking to poach Adam Fox from Calgary in the Travis Hamonic trade. The Flames, understandably so, were not willing to put him on the table. I've seen comparisons of Ryan Ellis thrown around lately, whom is a great #3 on a Stanley Cup final squad. I see Fox replacing Michael Stone down the road for the Flames.

I was actually hoping Fox would be coming back. I honestly would have taken him over the first rouder.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I was actually hoping Fox would be coming back. I honestly would have taken him over the first rouder.

Knowing Garth, he was likely trying to get the 1st round pick and Fox instead of the two 2nds.

Maybe Garth was willing to take Fox and two 2nds but I wouldn't be shocked if Calgary said not to that too.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Or, well, he may just not be NHL material.

Size is tempting, but you never know if A) the NYI don't see an NHL future and B) Somerby's camp feels he should be earning some nice dough right from the get-go.

Very true also. Regardless of his NHL potential, his chances in the islanders organization are limited. There's at least 14 guys in front of him.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Some great info Chapin. You and I were discussing Bellows on Twitter the other day. I'm a bit concerned, he should be dominating in a tournament like this (to determine who goes to the WJC for Pete's sake !). Instead, he pulls a MDC and is pretty much invisible (we've seen this movie before). It's obvious, like MDC, he needs a talented center to help set him up to score goals.

Luckily, there are some differences in the ways Bellows and MDC play the game. Bellows' physicality sets him apart from MDC. Luckily, guys like Tavares (I hope), Barzal and JHS will be around to set up Bellows and MDC. They seem like perfect matches.

Now, if Bellows doesn't dominate in the WHL this season, I will have major concerns. I was extremely happy we drafted Bellows (though Max Jones was my preference), and just had a feeling about Bellows, I see a 30+ NHL goal scorer. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Some great info Chapin. You and I were discussing Bellows on Twitter the other day. I'm a bit concerned, he should be dominating in a tournament like this (to determine who goes to the WJC for Pete's sake !). Instead, he pulls a MDC and is pretty much invisible (we've seen this movie before). It's obvious, like MDC, he needs a talented center to help set him up to score goals.

Luckily, there are some differences in the ways Bellows and MDC play the game. Bellows' physicality sets him apart from MDC. Luckily, guys like Tavares (I hope), Barzal and JHS will be around to set up Bellows and MDC. They seem like perfect matches.

Now, if Bellows doesn't dominate in the WHL this season, I will have major concerns. I was extremely happy we drafted Bellows (though Max Jones was my preference), and just had a feeling about Bellows, I see a 30+ NHL goal scorer. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

Didn't you think the same thing about Dal Colle shortly after he was drafted? :D

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I honestly really don't get the bellows pick. You thought he would've learned with dal colle. As of now you are 100% on. Seems like we just got another softish "power forward"

For the record, I think it's still early to write off either guy. They certainly do seem to have a lot to prove at this point, especially compared to their peers. But they're both young enough that with a bit of fine tuning, they could still be contributors to the Isles.

I was just teasing scott a bit because it seems like every time the Isles draft a "sniper", his gut feeling seems to always tell him they'll become 30+ goal scorers in the NHL.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
For the record, I think it's still early to write off either guy. They certainly do seem to have a lot to prove at this point, especially compared to their peers. But they're both young enough that with a bit of fine tuning, they could still be contributors to the Isles.

I was just teasing scott a bit because it seems like every time the Isles draft a "sniper", his gut feeling seems to always tell him they'll become 30+ goal scorers in the NHL.

Oh yeah haven't given up on them both. Just weird that we took the same type of player 2/3 years especially when dal colles development hasn't been too pretty

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Maybe we need to find another Adam Oates? Ok, so he needs a playmaker...we got those...just have Bellows play with a playmaker and he's set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad