Rumor: Isles New Practice Facility

bmg97

Jul 8, 2011
New practice arena or not, those cg renders of what the armory might look like is ****ing EPIC! The coolest multi rink complex I've been to is les 4 glaces up in Montreal, where its got a bar/food court elevated in the center of 4 rinks with glass so you can watch whatever games are going on, but if those renders are somewhat accrurate to what the armory will look like....then wow

Ha ! I played in a tournament there and the place is pretty cool.

I cant picture the islanders staying at iceworks. It really is not an NHL practice facility to say the least. I've played at iceworks and its a good place to play hockey but not for an NHL team. These guys need a legit place to practice and workout. I heard they were building some rinks at Eisenhower park. http://libn.com/2013/01/17/groundbreaking-for-15m-eisenhower-park-ice-rink/

I would rather practice at the new place in the Bronx. Besides the drive in, the place looks cool.

bwf

Jan 4, 2009
Islanders Practice Facilty

I coach youth hockey, so of course I know alot of the people around at the rinks here on Long Island. I did hear, about 2 months ago, that the Islanders were to do extensive renovations to IceWorks in Syosset (which they own), somewhere in the $2 million area. Not only would it spruce the place up - they would move all their offices and such to the building as well. On game days - the players would park their cars there and take transportation (assuming a bus) to Barclays for home games. They currently do this for 'local' games like the Rangers and Devils.
If you follow youth hockey - the Islanders recently made an agreement with the Suffolk PAL organization, which is, primarily out of the Rinx in Hauppague (exit 58). Smart move by the Islanders to get their brand out their a bit. In addition to the Rinx, the PAL will now play out of Syosset as well. Again, smart to get the logo out their, help kids etcetcetc...
Traditionally, alot of teams practice a good distance from where they play. The Rags have been in Westchester for years. The Devils built a practice facility into The Prudential Center. Barclays does have a Nets practice facility in it. BUT, most teams practice separate of where they play. It might make sense for the Islanders to do some things at the Aviator rink in Brooklyn. But that - though not technically that far from Barclay's - seems far away. Aviator is at Floyd Bennet Field, the only area in Brooklyn that seems like no one is around. As for the Bronx rink - the whole thing is ridiuclous at 9 rinks. Its tough enough to fill and run a few rinks. Nice idea. Mark (no Messier joke here) my words, that place will be closed or downsized a few years after it gets going ... either way, lets go Islanders ....

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I coach youth hockey, so of course I know alot of the people around at the rinks here on Long Island. I did hear, about 2 months ago, that the Islanders were to do extensive renovations to IceWorks in Syosset (which they own), somewhere in the $2 million area. Not only would it spruce the place up - they would move all their offices and such to the building as well. On game days - the players would park their cars there and take transportation (assuming a bus) to Barclays for home games. They currently do this for 'local' games like the Rangers and Devils.
If you follow youth hockey - the Islanders recently made an agreement with the Suffolk PAL organization, which is, primarily out of the Rinx in Hauppague (exit 58). Smart move by the Islanders to get their brand out their a bit. In addition to the Rinx, the PAL will now play out of Syosset as well. Again, smart to get the logo out their, help kids etcetcetc...
Traditionally, alot of teams practice a good distance from where they play. The Rags have been in Westchester for years. The Devils built a practice facility into The Prudential Center. Barclays does have a Nets practice facility in it. BUT, most teams practice separate of where they play. It might make sense for the Islanders to do some things at the Aviator rink in Brooklyn. But that - though not technically that far from Barclay's - seems far away. Aviator is at Floyd Bennet Field, the only area in Brooklyn that seems like no one is around. As for the Bronx rink - the whole thing is ridiuclous at 9 rinks. Its tough enough to fill and run a few rinks. Nice idea. Mark (no Messier joke here) my words, that place will be closed or downsized a few years after it gets going ... either way, lets go Islanders ....

The good thing about Aviator is that its pretty convenient to Long Island (where I'd assume most players would still live, I think the younger guys live on the South Shore anyway), as it is right off of the Belt. And its a simple drive to barclays. YOu just take Flatbush (FBF is right off of Flatbush) north. The traffic is horrendous at times, but its as convenient as going across Brooklyn gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad