Rumor: Isles New Practice Facility

letsgoisles89

Apr 14, 2007
Astoria, NY
New York City has finally come up with a plan for the long-closed Kingsbridge Armory in the Bronx.

On Tuesday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced a deal to turn it into one of the country's largest ice skating rinks.

Eyewitness News first told you about the proposal last summer.

The company that designed Madison Square Garden will be the architect for the $250 million project.

The New York Islanders will reportedly use the armory for practices when the team moves from Long Island to the Barclays Center in 2015.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9075773

I was hoping they would still practice in Syosset, which I guess wasn't realistic.

Last edited:

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Gotta love how pumped they seem to be for a hockey team. If the isles needed a new place to practice on LI, it would take years just for them to start discussing it. This seems to be already in the works..sweet

letsgoisles89

Apr 14, 2007
Astoria, NY
They could still us iceworks. It at least would keep some type of Long island Foot print. Maybe training camp ?

It would be a good idea for them to do that.

Also, FWIW - it looks like there is a subway station right next to where the rink will be - the Kingsbridge Rd. Station on the 4 Line. Also, it appears that the Kingsbridge Rd. Station on the B and D lines are within close walking distance from the rink.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
It would be a good idea for them to do that.

Also, FWIW - it looks like there is a subway station right next to where the rink will be - the Kingsbridge Rd. Station on the 4 Line. Also, it appears that the Kingsbridge Rd. Station on the B and D lines are within close walking distance from the rink.

It's such a long and annoying ride from Brooklyn to the Bronx.

Though I imagine most players will live in Manhattan, and the commute is much easier.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Hope you guys like hockey...jeez...this is one of the renderings I found of it. 8 smaller rinks...one main rink.

2013_04_render3.jpg

It does look pretty sweet though...

2013_04_render5.jpg

zaius

Feb 8, 2008
NY
www.tsn.ca
Holy crap... nine rinks? that's insane. @Isles Junkie I was thinking the same thing, I wouldn't want to make that ride often

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Wow, Kinsbridge Armory!

I always thought you could have done something fun with that building, didn't think hockey though.

I guess this means they are going all out on the city thing. TBH, I thought they would play in Brooklyn but still practice in LI (and thus most players will live in LI).

I think the most convenient place to live if you practice in the Bronx would be the North Shore, or East, Northern Queens. You are looking at like 20-25 minutes from the Throgs Neck or Whitestone to the armory. Probably like 45 minutes to Barclays if you get in at around 3ish for gamenights.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
It's such a long and annoying ride from Brooklyn to the Bronx.

Though I imagine most players will live in Manhattan, and the commute is much easier.

I doubt any of the current players would move. Maybe new players Pick the city. However there is no real reason for a Current player to Relocate if they live on LI already.
I also would think most of the players who have kids would Prefer LI to the city

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
There is the rumor that the Isles are moving next year, at the end of the 2014 season...and they might need a place to practice if the Knightsbrigde development isn't completed yet.

They have a Place to practice already. They can use ice works if they chose too. Ice works does not just Vanish here

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
They could still us iceworks. It at least would keep some type of Long island Foot print. Maybe training camp ?

Doesn't Wang own Iceworks?

I'd think he'd want the isles to continue to practicing there.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
So pretty much Iceworks would be the mainstay for practice even when they move?

Who knows really all I was pointing out in that post was that this isn't anywhere close to being confirmed. I looked at the cities press release about it and it didn't say anything about the Islanders and nor have the team or anyone around the team announced it.

It's possible this could be true but for now it's just a rumor.

Here's a Post article from yesterday:

But there are still issues to be hammered out for a contract with Kingsbridge National Ice Center Partners, a source said.

The New York Islanders hope to use the facility for practices when the team moves from Long Island to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn in 2015, a source said.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bronx/bronx_armory_to_be_ice_rink_3Bs4DaOmMaC7hIjaA2tJMP

Here's from today:

The plans include former Rangers captain Mark Messier and figure skater Sarah Hughes, who won an Olympic gold medal in 2002.

Mayor Bloomberg detailed the plans Tuesday for the Kingsbridge Armory in the Bronx.

The project is to include nine rinks on two levels. One rink would be designed to host hockey tournaments and ice shows.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/..._olympian_join_project_TeaK6HAStpxH7geT5erv1M

Sounds a lot like speculation or just poor reporting to me.

Last edited:

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
This just keeps getting better and better. 10 minutes from me. Hope they open practices.

Here's a Youtube of the press conference -

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It wouldn't be the first time the media got a story wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad