Rumor: Isles New Practice Facility

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
New practice arena or not, those cg renders of what the armory might look like is ****ing EPIC! The coolest multi rink complex I've been to is les 4 glaces up in Montreal, where its got a bar/food court elevated in the center of 4 rinks with glass so you can watch whatever games are going on, but if those renders are somewhat accrurate to what the armory will look like....then wow

RichOnTheLI

Jan 11, 2006
Long Island
www.twitter.com
Maybe similar to what the Jets did with Hofstra. I'd be very sad to see all of it's Nassau roots gone.

I feel the same way!

Honestly, if the players wanted to be closer to Brooklyn, I thought they would choose Queens. I can't see them moving into the city, which is Rangers' territory.

Most of the players only stay or rent here during the season. Then they go back to Canada or wherever they're from.

drive45

Jul 1, 2011
closer than I appear
really?

Oh for cryin' out loud. The video not only failed to feature any explicit or implicit reference to the Isles, but it was crammed with stuff about the rags. Even as a rumour, this was lame.

Symon Asher

Sep 13, 2011
I grew up near Kingsbridge Rd. There arent 9 hockey fans there much less a need for 9 rinks

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Hey we used to practice at a dump called "Rollin Ice" I think it was in Lindenhurst or Copaigue. Roller Rink on second floor, Ice rink on bottom floor. Non regulation size, boards made of 3/4" plywood sheets and the nets were crafted from chain link fence and galvanized pipe!

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I do not think they are even thinking of Using it as a Practice Place. Mark Messier was on the radio yesterday talking about this Possible Project.
It sounds like they want to DO alot with it. Saying they would have Open rinks for kids Games a Small 5000 Seat Arena. He sad something about trying to lure a AHL team. Also spoke about Figure Skating, Curling ETC.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Hey we used to practice at a dump called "Rollin Ice" I think it was in Lindenhurst or Copaigue. Roller Rink on second floor, Ice rink on bottom floor. Non regulation size, boards made of 3/4" plywood sheets and the nets were crafted from chain link fence and galvanized pipe!

Really how long ago was this. I would love to See some Pictures of this place

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
I don't mind them breaking all LI ties in terms of no longer practicing at Ice Works. The place is not a professional caliber practice space, its kind of embarrassing honestly. If a new, state of the art practice facility is available, I don't care where it is...the team should use it if they have the opportunity.

Acting like a major league team > holding on to crap for nostalgia sake. Its not like the practices are open anyway, who cares?

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
I don't mind them breaking all LI ties in terms of no longer practicing at Ice Works. The place is not a professional caliber practice space, its kind of embarrassing honestly. If a new, state of the art practice facility is available, I don't care where it is...the team should use it if they have the opportunity.

Acting like a major league team > holding on to crap for nostalgia sake. Its not like the practices are open anyway, who cares?

I guess everyone forgets that the Islanders practice facility used to be at the County Owned Cantiague Park. Ice Works IS top of the line compared to this.

And seriously, are we THAT concerned about a practice facility? Does it have ice? Boards? Glass? Clearly it doesn't have an effect on the team - right?

They have done A LOT at ice works over the years, to say its a dump is far from the truth.

I got to work out with Jesse Demers (then isles trainer) a few summers ago, the weight room is pretty nice. I also had Konopka busting my chops the entire time I was in there - but that's another story.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Agreed 100%. For the Isles to be a true Long Island team, they should have presence in both NYC and regional LI.

But they're not going to be a true Long Island team. That's why they're moving to NYC.

The only way the Islanders brand sticks, is if the team moves into Brooklyn & is an immediate winner. I'm not talking about fighting for 5th in the east either. I'm talking about a Cup contender. If not, then I predict within 10 or so years the name, colors, everything will change. Because Brooklyn simply will not support a bad-mediocre team, and frankly I think it's too far away from the existing fanbase for them to make a good showing every game.

Hopefully it all works out, but I have serious doubts about this move.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
But they're not going to be a true Long Island team. That's why they're moving to NYC.

The only way the Islanders brand sticks, is if the team moves into Brooklyn & is an immediate winner. I'm not talking about fighting for 5th in the east either. I'm talking about a Cup contender. If not, then I predict within 10 or so years the name, colors, everything will change. Because Brooklyn simply will not support a bad-mediocre team, and frankly I think it's too far away from the existing fanbase for them to make a good showing every game.

Hopefully it all works out, but I have serious doubts about this move.

I have no doubts at all that it will work out. Because it won't be just Brooklyn supporting them. It will be corporate support win or lose and Wall St/lower manhattan workers, midtown workers and easier access from points north and west. The fanbase will change for the better. Plus a lot of the manhattan workers will be LI residents who can't get to weeknight games now.

Look at it this way, attendance has been better on LI on weekends so the LI weekend crowd will still find it's way to Brooklyn as they have more free time on weekends. The weeknight crowd is what hurts now as there's no mass transit and many work too far from NVMC. That will be supplemented in Brooklyn as mentioned above.

A tweak here or there but I don't see drastic name/color/branding changes even within 10 years, win or lose. Too much history to wipe out even for better marketing. Brand doesn't need an overhaul just some polish.

The Korean*

I guess everyone forgets that the Islanders practice facility used to be at the County Owned Cantiague Park. Ice Works IS top of the line compared to this.

And seriously, are we THAT concerned about a practice facility? Does it have ice? Boards? Glass? Clearly it doesn't have an effect on the team - right?

They have done A LOT at ice works over the years, to say its a dump is far from the truth.

I got to work out with Jesse Demers (then isles trainer) a few summers ago, the weight room is pretty nice. I also had Konopka busting my chops the entire time I was in there - but that's another story.
Free agents expect top of the line equipments and facilities, not that thats necessarily the deciding factor, but it helps a lot. Especially for a team that hasnt won for a long time.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I have no doubts at all that it will work out. Because it won't be just Brooklyn supporting them. It will be corporate support win or lose and Wall St/lower manhattan workers, midtown workers and easier access from points north and west. The fanbase will change for the better. Plus a lot of the manhattan workers will be LI residents who can't get to weeknight games now.

Look at it this way, attendance has been better on LI on weekends so the LI weekend crowd will still find it's way to Brooklyn as they have more free time on weekends. The weeknight crowd is what hurts now as there's no mass transit and many work too far from NVMC. That will be supplemented in Brooklyn as mentioned above.

A tweak here or there but I don't see drastic name/color/branding changes even within 10 years, win or lose. Too much history to wipe out even for better marketing. Brand doesn't need an overhaul just some polish.

I guess we will see. If i am a Major Business looking for Corp Seats I am still Looking at MSG not Barclays

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Maybe similar to what the Jets did with Hofstra. I'd be very sad to see all of it's Nassau roots gone.

I think when all is said and done in a few years, most fans will be very happy. It appears as if the organization is really working on expanding their footprint. If you read the tea leaves all of the following could happen in the next few years (oF COURSE MOST OF THESE ARE JUST RUMORS, I REALIZE but where ther is smoke...):

1. Islanders playing their home games in the Barclays Center (Brooklyn)
2. Islanders practice facility may be the Kingsbridge Armory (Bronx)
3. Islanders farm team could potentially moving into NVMC (Nassau) (Wouldn't it make more sense to call them the Long Island Sound Tigers anyway)
4. Play some pre-season exhibition games as well as maybe a training camp session or two at NVMC (ala Jets and Hofstra)
5. Wang Sells team

If these things happen (heck, if half of them happen) the NY Islanders would be a very attractive place to Free Agents and draft picks. Who wouldn't want to play games in a brand new building practically in NYC. Have practice in a state of the art Ice Skating facility that would be rivaled by none in that same city. And start their professional careers in a building (NVMC) with that much history. ANd of course a new owner would be all the incentive one would need to sign on the dotted line and make Playing for the Islanders and STAYING with the Islanders a very attractive proposal.

I like the vision, I hope some of this comes to fruition.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not going to Disagree there. I would just think there First Choice would still be MSG over Barclays

What if you owned the company?

The strategy should be to win over corporate heads and make them all Isles fans...then we'll have suits just like the Rags.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00