Speculation: Isles Moving AGAIN Speculation Part II????

Status
Not open for further replies.

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
And there you go... Belmont takes you as far EAST as possible from the opportunity to grow the fanbase in the Metro area. You are back to where you started: Limited fanbase, limited growth opportunity, but happier LI-fans. For some reason, I doubt M&L paid $500M+ for that to happen. They paid that $ for BC.

M&L are smart enough to realize that the fanbase will shrink and shrink in small increments each year that the team is away from it's home.

Those on here who say Long Island can not support a team forget to consider that for the last 15 years at least that they were in the NVMC the team sucked! And the Arena SUCKED!

A good team and a great 15,500 seat arena would sell out every night or at least 14,500.

I'd be happy to hear from a fan on here who is from Brooklyn and became a fan after they moved to BC. I won't hold my breath.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
M&L are smart enough to realize that the fanbase will shrink and shrink in small increments each year that the team is away from it's home.

Oh yes. That's why they paid MORE for the team after the move to Brooklyn was announced, instead of paying less when Wang put the team up for sale prior to the announcement.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007

Those on here who say Long Island can not support a team forget to consider that for the last 15 years at least that they were in the NVMC the team sucked! And the Arena SUCKED!

A good team and a great 15,500 seat arena would sell out every night or at least 14,500.

I'd be happy to hear from a fan on here who is from Brooklyn and became a fan after they moved to BC. I won't hold my breath.

I would guess that something like twenty people are responsible for 90% of the content here. We've had threads in which two people post 50% of the content by themselves. Look at some of the post counts. This place is not in any way, shape, or form an accurate reflection of reality. Like literally every other message board in existence, the conversation is moved along by the people with the most time to do so. Not an indictment; when I was younger, I would have been one of them had I known about HF.

You sign in here and think Nassau County is rich and growing rather than broke and shrinking. That Brooklyn is crime-ridden and shrinking, not rich and growing. That there was some kind of uprising about the loss of the Islanders on LI (I live here; hardly anyone noticed, and people voted AGAINST keeping them). And that it's realistic for the metropolitan area to house 32 arenas.

Then you leave and it's like opening the front door in February. A cold wind comes a-blowin'. Literally everyone here would be delighted if the team got its own arena, but very few think it's realistic. I hope the optimists are right, but optimism is the quickest path to crushing disappointment.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I would guess that something like twenty people are responsible for 90% of the content here. We've had threads in which two people post 50% of the content by themselves. Look at some of the post counts. This place is not in any way, shape, or form an accurate reflection of reality. Like literally every other message board in existence, the conversation is moved along by the people with the most time to do so. Not an indictment; when I was younger, I would have been one of them had I known about HF.

You sign in here and think Nassau County is rich and growing rather than broke and shrinking. That Brooklyn is crime-ridden and shrinking, not rich and growing. That there was some kind of uprising about the loss of the Islanders on LI (I live here; hardly anyone noticed, and people voted AGAINST keeping them). And that it's realistic for the metropolitan area to house 32 arenas.

Then you leave and it's like opening the front door in February. A cold wind comes a-blowin'. Literally everyone here would be delighted if the team got its own arena, but very few think it's realistic. I hope the optimists are right, but optimism is the quickest path to crushing disappointment.

there are like 5-6 posters on this board that genuinely really like the barclays. They post alot though

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
(Edit QDP)

When I design the arena at Belmont, it will have proper cupholders.

PSU-Pegula-8834.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York

I have not made one negative comment about Brooklyn as a borough or a place to live. I love Brooklyn. It's the current hip place to live. Yay.

However, it is not the place where the New York ISLANDERS should be playing.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I think a lot of people understand that Barclays is flawed but still enjoy going to games to see Islanders hockey and don't see any viable alternative for the team in the NY area so would rather think about hockey than endlessly debate the same arena stuff all the time.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

A team in a NICE arena in the epicenter of the fanbase vs. a team in a nice but VERY flawed arena in the outskirts of the fanbase and well into the competing team's fanbase epicenter.

This is simple. An arena operator owns both venues and makes money from both venues and has a tenant in one venue and another tenant who could lift sales in the other (and for all intents and purposes, the LARGER venue with more seating available if they make modifications not possible/realistic in the premier venue).

I ask.....can a superbly managed arena operator (aside from Yormark, that tw*t) make more money operating both arenas with two teams occupying both arenas and filling more dates with two essentially differing markets or would they be better served not using one venue in the suburbs and relegating their investment to sparse event scheduling?

There's no logic in that. A relatively small investment to modernize an arena is made and one that can capitalize on a growing fanbase IN THAT LOCATION. Yet am I to believe they should ignore the two counties and fish for Ranger converts and those new to the game?

:popcorn:

This hinges on the NVMC being made larger and the concourse being vastly improved - which they are doing, from bathrooms to eateries to decor......just not yet with the number of seats and maybe never with luxury boxes.

For those stating Nassau and Suffolk are shrinking in wealth......this happened many times before with regions.

Brooklyn was one. Queens as well. Both are booming now. When the economy recovers......two arenas controlling two markets would be a significant opportunity. Would it be significant enough to command the full amount of the annual "stipend" from the arena operators to make their investment pay off? I don't see it far off.....if they can help make two buildings generate more revenue by moving, opening up hundreds of thousands of seats each season at Barclays for bigger draws (being able to sell 18k at an event vs. 41 nights of 14,500 MAX).

I'm confident we end up somewhere better but not ready to say which one yet. We're definitely moving, IMHO.

(Personally, I like Belmont/Queens ideas because the team ownership would not be under Ratner and Co., but NVMC and Brooklyn both work because they don't have to invest in a building and the potential failure to make profit)

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
A team in a NICE arena in the epicenter of the fanbase vs. a team in a nice but VERY flawed arena in the outskirts of the fanbase and well into the competing team's fanbase epicenter.

This is simple. An arena operator owns both venues and makes money from both venues and has a tenant in one venue and another tenant who could lift sales in the other (and for all intents and purposes, the LARGER venue with more seating available if they make modifications not possible/realistic in the premier venue).

The venue that is (slightly) further away from the existing (cheap) fan base has more revenue potential. Suites bring in far more money per seat and per footprint than family seats. NVMC just is not adding enough suites to accommodate a modern major league team.

For those stating Nassau and Suffolk are shrinking in wealth......this happened many times before with regions.

Brooklyn was one. Queens as well. Both are booming now. When the economy recovers......two arenas controlling two markets would be a significant opportunity.

That took over THIRTY YEARS. NYC did a lot to foster that growth towards the latter years. I haven't heard much of that going on in either Nassau or Suffolk, other than "beautification". What I have seen is them slashing public transit to the nitty gritty and NIMBYing job growth.

Long Island isn't really a separate market from NYC.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I have not made one negative comment about Brooklyn as a borough or a place to live. I love Brooklyn. It's the current hip place to live. Yay.

However, it is not the place where the New York ISLANDERS should be playing.

Sure, but look around at the majority of sports team in the US - 95% of them were able to build a new arena/building, etc. in the past 20 years.

For NYI: Opposition to the LHP, the scaled down version of it, and finally the arena itself. Other places found a way...

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
The venue that is (slightly) further away from the existing (cheap) fan base has more revenue potential. Suites bring in far more money per seat and per footprint than family seats. NVMC just is not adding enough suites to accommodate a modern major league team.

That took over THIRTY YEARS. NYC did a lot to foster that growth towards the latter years. I haven't heard much of that going on in either Nassau or Suffolk, other than "beautification". What I have seen is them slashing public transit to the nitty gritty and NIMBYing job growth.

Long Island isn't really a separate market from NYC.

there are plenty of macro signs trending towards the burbs regaining momentum...

also, do the suites earnings go the Isles? I was under the impression that revenue goes to barclays... which is part of the reason they may want to opt out. They don't make that big money when the suites go empty for Isles games and the food and drink tabs go light

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
:yo::handclap:

This x1000

The city is going backwards. We're heading to Chicago. I watched a man beating the **** out of a woman on 164th St. in Jamaica at 12PM. I called the cops, and gave them the wrong street. I thought I was on Parsons and not 164th.

Illegal jitneys line the streets of Jamaica. The cops and the traffic enforcement officers do nothing about them.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
That's the same number as people who like Barclay's in real life

Go to tripadvisor, yelp or any other review site. Type in Barclays Center and search by "hockey" or "Islanders." Overwhelmingly positive reviews. Overwhelmingly.

The only people who do not like it are folks who were used to a 10 minute drive to the coliseum and $100 season tickets.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

I ask.....can a superbly managed arena operator (aside from Yormark, that tw*t) make more money operating both arenas with two teams occupying both arenas and filling more dates with two essentially differing markets or would they be better served not using one venue in the suburbs and relegating their investment to sparse event scheduling?

There's no logic in that. A relatively small investment to modernize an arena is made and one that can capitalize on a growing fanbase IN THAT LOCATION. Yet am I to believe they should ignore the two counties and fish for Ranger converts and those new to the game?

:popcorn:

This hinges on the NVMC being made larger and the concourse being vastly improved - which they are doing, from bathrooms to eateries to decor......just not yet with the number of seats and maybe never with luxury boxes.

Brooklyn was one. Queens as well. Both are booming now. When the economy recovers......two arenas controlling two markets would be a significant opportunity. Would it be significant enough to command the full amount of the annual "stipend" from the arena operators to make their investment pay off? I don't see it far off.....if they can help make two buildings generate more revenue by moving, opening up hundreds of thousands of seats each season at Barclays for bigger draws (being able to sell 18k at an event vs. 41 nights of 14,500 MAX).

I'm confident we end up somewhere better but not ready to say which one yet. We're definitely moving, IMHO.

(Personally, I like Belmont/Queens ideas because the team ownership would not be under Ratner and Co., but NVMC and Brooklyn both work because they don't have to invest in a building and the potential failure to make profit)

That is a very bold statement, Vincent. Queens would be quite the win for everyone.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Our re-used arena football league mascot is significantly more important that John Tavares.

Clearly the greatest islander in team history. Has a mascot ever been indicted into the hall of fame or will sparky be the first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad