Rumor: Isles Making Serious Runs At Pacioretty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Subban for all Islanders players including Tavares. That´s what Subban is worth :yo:
I wouldn't want him. Like someone else posted, he will be a locker room distraction his whole career. He thinks he's a one man show.

VT Isles Fan

Mar 24, 2010
Vermont
Trading for Pacioretty makes no sense, doesn't address our current needs.

Unless we need a streaky scorer who doesn't use his size, and is sensitive to criticism (was upset earlier in the year about being called a "perimeter player") then sure.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I don't have time to catch up on the thread at the moment, just wanted to add that Snow did add defensemen during that time.

Streit
Visnovsky
Wiz

Were all additions during that time that were legit top 4 defensemen. So lets not make it out like they didn't add anyone.

No problem, but I did mention them above. Wiz and Vis were never on the team at the same time, so we only had two at any given point who had value. Give Snow credit for quickly moving on from Wiz too, but for too long we only had Streit. When they decided to move on from him sometime last season they should have gone full bore for a veteran with 3 or so years left in contract IMO.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Sorry, but just not gonna happen. TOR is going to resign Dion. That's kinda obvious.

Why did Chara sign with BOS? Remember, he was on OTT a perennial playoff team and went to a loser of a franchise at the time - yes, BOS was just above the CHI trainwreck. He went there because they PAID big $ to woo him into playing for a BAD team. Team management intended to build around him AND invest in the team $-wise (the B's, much like CHI were cheaper than their original six buddies).

Gee, they invested in the RIGHT guy, then the TEAM, and now look at BOS and CHI - on top of the world on any annual basis. They cleaned out the management teams and brought in smart people with a winning track record. The Isles? Ahhh, not so much.

Apologies for my writing not being clear. I meant that those players were acquired by their teams via trade- Phaneuf from Calgary to Toronto, Chara from the Isles to Ottawa. I was just pointing out that it's not impossible to get a top 4 D by trade. It's expensive but it can be done.
I'm sorry that my writing didn't indicate what I meant. I have a bad habit of not fully explaining my thoughts. You're right there is no way we would currently get those guys.

Last edited:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Apologies for my writing not being clear. I meant that those players were acquired by their teams via trade- Phaneuf from Calgary to Toronto, Chara from the Isles to Ottawa. I was just pointing out that it's not impossible to get a top 4 D by trade. It's expensive but it can be done.
I'm sorry that my writing didn't indicate what I meant. I have a bad habit of not fully explaining my thoughts. You're right there is no way we would currently get those guys.
no worries.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011

True. Not impossible....but very very very unlikely. Odds are pretty much slim to none.

To expect it to happen would be extremely unrealistic.

Same could be said for teams out there trying to get a no.1 centreman. Sure, Joe Thornton was traded. Seguin was traded. But really...you gotta be pretty naive if you think you're getting a #1 C outside of the draft. Anyone who's ever spoken to a Leaf fan would probably understand lol

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Would Streit have saved us from the crap we're in right now? Would we have been able to avoid the slump altogether had he been retained?

Honestly, I really don't think so.

When you have bigtime injuries, a bad coach, cheap owner and a young/unconfident/inexperienced group of core players who can't score - You've got a recipe for disaster.

So take your pick = Streit/Shattenkirk/Stuart/Campbell/Phanuef...I'd be willing to bet we'd still be in this mess even if we had all 5 of them

It was time to move on and improve the position - agree there - but yes he would have helped since you asked. My opinion then and now though is we needed better. Instead we managed to not only not improve that position, but get far worse by populating the spot with a rookie who was immediately overwhelmed.

I agree with the disaster part. I also blame both Wang and Snow for it. Obviously Wang is a hockey doofus and always will be, but Garth needed to sell the need for defensive help to the stingy guy. It looks very much like he thought the defense would be fine. It is the worst defense in the NHL, outside of maybe the Oilers. Considering the gap in development between our forwards and defense men they should have brought in one more second pair level player.

I don't know what to say to your last statement. It shows a lack of understanding of how important defense men are except to disagree. A #3 defensively sound blueliner would have helped in spades just by keeping Ness, Carkner, or Donovan out of more games, even taking time from A Mac. That would have been huge.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013

I get your point, but Chara was far from a number one when he was traded to Ottawa.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I get your point, but Chara was far from a number one when he was traded to Ottawa.

Agreed. No one knew what he'd be. He looked like a physical d-man with SOME mobility (not what he ended up as) and some offensive potential. He really didn't take off until he joined the Sens. In short, he looked like what we HOPE Pedan will end up as. I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT PEDAN WILL END UP AS GOOD AS CHARA. The #1 pick was the biggest part of what the Islanders were giving up for Yashin. As it turned out, I'd rather have kept Chara than had that pick...even though they got a pretty damn good center.

NYI13

Dec 9, 2009
Long Island
If you can deal a few smaller assets to acquire a player like Pacioretty you do it...

Maybe it'll be similar to the Nino deal where the player isn't respected by the GM/Coach and is dealt for less than he's worth :naughty:

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
If we can pick him up for nothing, that wouldn't hurt. Believe it or not guys, this team could use additions in any category. Heck, we could even repackage him at the deadline and call it a SBS (Snow Backed Security,with the full faith and credit of the Islanders behind it)!!!!

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I think aquiring Pacioretty makes a lot of sense in the long run. He is signed long term, fills a need and will pretty much guarantee scoring. This season is a wash but if they can get him in and let him develop some chemistry then I'm all for it as he'll be here for a long time anyway.

Depending on the Habs needs I think we'll be looking at something like Grabner, Pelech and a pick to have a slight chance

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
While I place no stock in this rumor, why on earth would Snow be looking for more offense with the glaring need on the back line.

Maybe he is taking the Yankees approach and trying to outscore everyone else.

This move would be as dumb as the Vanek move.

McLovin*

EDIT: not going to bother sharing what I hear from sources if I'm just going to be blasted for it. Carry on

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I'm hearing Strome, Reinhart, and 2nd for Kessel and Reimer.

Step 1) Open 5th story window
Step 2) Hurl myself out of freshly opened window
Step 3) somehow limp away and continue to root for the Islanders without our best forward prospect, best defensive prospect and no draft picks.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I'm hearing Strome, Reinhart, and 2nd for Kessel and Reimer.

Sure you are . . .

And when did Toronto throw in the towel and decide to start another rebuild?

And to my fellow Isles fans - I'd probably say yes to this proposal. Kessel is a proven 1st line NHL player and Reimer has already shown he can play in this league. Neither Ryan nor Griff have yet. The basic NHL trade guidelines: he who gets the best player usually wins the trade.

Which is why this is BS . . .

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Step 1) Open 5th story window
Step 2) Hurl myself out of freshly opened window
Step 3) somehow limp away and continue to root for the Islanders without our best forward prospect, best defensive prospect and no draft picks.

while i probably wouldnt make the trade, this wouldnt be the worst trade in history here....

if strome turned into kessel youd be thrilled....

our goalie issues are just as big as our d issues, if not bigger.....and reimer answers that for the next 10 years

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Sure you are . . .

And when did Toronto throw in the towel and decide to start another rebuild?

And to my fellow Isles fans - I'd probably say yes to this proposal. Kessel is a proven 1st line NHL player and Reimer has already shown he can play in this league. Neither Ryan nor Griff have yet. The basic NHL trade guidelines: he who gets the best player usually wins the trade.

Which is why this is BS . . .

I am with you. I doubt there is any Real truth to it. If there was i would be for it

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
I'd be down, we need a move to shake up our core

OK...McLovin and Symbol are the same person...got it. :laugh: (those that missed the edits won't get it). I am sure there are a many people that have multiple accounts unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad